What's wrong with this LED light?

• Thread starter TechTree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Led Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the disassembly of an LED GU10 light and the discovery of a rectifier, capacitors, and a transformer inside. The person then tried to power the light using a DC variable power supply, but it only dimly glowed when they touched the plate. They also measured the original LED driver output at 0.7V and wondered why it was doing this. Another person suggests that 0.7V is too low to drive an LED properly and asks how it was measured. They also mention that the LED lighting when touched is odd and suggest measuring from Earth ground to the LED plate. The conversation ends with a suggestion to post a picture of the circuit board for identification and the explanation that the glow
TechTree
Hello,
Just out of curiosity I disassembled an LED GU10 light to see what's inside and found, a rectifier, a few capacities, and a small transformer. It was working fine before, but when I took the plate that has all the LEDs soldered to it and tired to power it on my DC variable power supply it didn't work at all. But would dimly glow if I touched the plate, hardly letting of any light.

The original LED driver circuit outputs only 0.70V, so I connected it up to my power supply set to 0.70V and got nothing, unless I touched the plate then I got a dim glow. I gradually increased the voltage to 5V and still got the same dim glow.

Does anyone know why it's doing this?

Attachments

• 20190324_221952.jpg
    20190324_221952.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 215
Engineering news on Phys.org
0.7 volts is way too low to drive any kind of led properly. Especially a white one. How did you measure this?

The LED lighting when you touch it is definitely odd. Can you measure from Earth ground to the led plate?

BoB

A pic of the circuit board might help identify the driver type.

The 0.7V could be the driver detecting open circuit and shutting down. About 3V per LED is normal, summed if they’re in series.

Most LED lights I’ve cracked open have had the LEDs in series and required about 180V to light 60 LEDs (240V mains here). Your bench power supply won’t approach that, and I can only guess that the glow is from some kind of capacitive coupling/induced voltage in your body from surrounding mains wires.

Once their forward voltage is exceeded, LEDs require minuscule currents to glow as you describe.

Is your bench supply output fully floating, or ground referenced?

Likes rbelli1

Related to What's wrong with this LED light?

1. What could be causing the LED light to flicker?

There are a few potential reasons for an LED light to flicker, including a loose connection, a faulty driver, or incompatible dimmer switches. It's important to troubleshoot and identify the specific cause before attempting to fix the issue.

2. Why is my LED light dimmer than usual?

If your LED light is dimmer than usual, it could be due to a few factors. One possibility is that the LED bulb is reaching the end of its lifespan and needs to be replaced. Another reason could be that the power supply or driver is malfunctioning. It's best to check all components and replace any faulty parts.

3. Can LED lights be repaired?

In most cases, LED lights cannot be repaired and must be replaced. However, if the issue is a loose connection or a faulty driver, those components can often be replaced to fix the problem. It's important to consult a professional or refer to the manufacturer's instructions before attempting any repairs.

4. Why is my LED light not turning on?

If your LED light is not turning on, first check to make sure it is properly connected and the power source is functioning. If those are not the issue, it could be due to a faulty driver or a burned out LED bulb. Again, it's important to troubleshoot and identify the specific cause before attempting to fix the problem.

5. How can I make my LED light last longer?

To make your LED light last longer, make sure to use high-quality bulbs and drivers, and avoid overloading the circuit. Also, be sure to turn off the light when not in use, as LED lights have a longer lifespan when they are not constantly turned on. Regular cleaning and maintenance can also help prolong the life of your LED light.