Binary in Real Analysis & Sets?

In summary, the author is discussing binary relations and how they are subset of other relations. He goes on to say that every time AxA is specified in a book or somewhere, this refers to an "ordered pair." Finally, he clarifies that when the author mentions R^3, this means the Euclidian 3-dimensional space.
sponsoredwalk
Hi, I have a few questions because I'm watching a lecture on real analysis & I'm a little bit unsure of a few things. I have them in point form for your convenience in answering.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMHR6d0leKA&NR=1

A (binary) relation R is a subset of AxB.

If (a,b) ε R then aRb
(from 2.30 in the video - no need to watch)

A & B are sets & AxB is the set "product" definition
AxB = {(a,b) : aεA & bεB}

which is a way of talking about an ordered pair, say on the Cartesian plane.

Is that correct so far?

I am wondering what it means to say "binary"? Does this refer to the fact that AxB results in two elements a & b?

2.Also, everytime AxA is specified in a book or somewhere, does that refer to an "ordered pair" i.e. RxR is a way to tell you that you are using an ordered pair e.g. (2,3) in the plane?

3.This tells you that you are taking the "set-product" of two subsets to ensure the legality of using an ordered pair?

4. [tex] R^3[/tex] This is the Euclidian 3-dimensional space, whenever an author mentions this does the author mean to specify that we are taking some sort of a "set-product", like an ordered triple?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1)binary relation means that it's a relation defined on 2 inputs. so yes, you are right.

2) AxB doesn't refer to a specific ordered pair. AxB denotes the SET of all ordered pairs, that have first element taken from the set A and the 2nd element taken from the set B.

3) not sure what you asking, AxB is a set (whose elements are ordered pairs).

4)Yes, when the author mentions this he means the set of all ordered triples with elements taken from R.

That's great, yes the 3rd question was just blathering on but the answer to the second question answered what I meant.

Thanks a lot, have a good day :)

Related to Binary in Real Analysis & Sets?

1. What is binary in real analysis and sets?

Binary in real analysis and sets refers to the concept of having two possible outcomes or options for a given situation. In mathematics, binary operations involve two elements and produce a third element as a result. It is a fundamental concept in set theory and is used to study the properties and relationships of sets.

2. What are some examples of binary operations?

Some common examples of binary operations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and exponentiation. For example, when adding two numbers, there are two possible outcomes: the sum of the two numbers or the difference between the two numbers. Similarly, when multiplying two numbers, there are two possible outcomes: the product of the two numbers or the quotient of the two numbers.

3. How is binary related to Boolean algebra?

Binary is closely related to Boolean algebra, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with operations on logical values. In Boolean algebra, the two possible outcomes are represented by the values of true and false, or 1 and 0. This is similar to how binary operations in mathematics have two possible outcomes, which are often represented by the values of 1 and 0.

4. What is the importance of binary in computer science?

Binary is crucial in computer science because it is the basis for how computers store and process data. All data in a computer is represented in binary form, which consists of only 1s and 0s. This allows for efficient and accurate computation and storage of information. Additionally, binary operations are used in computer programming to perform various tasks and calculations.

5. How is binary used in real-world applications?

Binary has numerous real-world applications, such as in communication systems, coding and encryption, and data compression. It is also used in various fields of science, such as genetics and bioinformatics, to represent and analyze data. Additionally, binary is used in finance and economics to represent financial data and make predictions based on binary outcomes.