Best Calculus of variations (Sturm Liouville Theory) textbook?

In summary, the person is looking for textbook suggestions for a course on calculus of variations and Sturm Liouville theory, with a preference for books that include questions and solutions. They mention the subtopics of the course as calculus of variations, variation subject to constraint, Sturm Liouville theory, and Green functions. Two recommended books are "Calculus of Variations" by R. Weinstock and "Green's Functions" by George Greenberg, with the latter being highly praised for its approachability and clarity. Another potential resource is "Boundary and Eigenvalue Problems in Mathematical Physics" by Hans Sagan.
ksnaz12
Hi, I have a course on calculus of variations and Sturm Liouville theory and was wondering if anyone had any good textbook suggestions? If they had questions and solutions it would be a bonus! I have put all the subtopics of the course below.

Calculus of variations
Variation subject to constraint
Sturm Liouville theory
Green functions

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
When I was in graduate school I remember this book being pretty useful
Boundary and Eigenvalue Problems in Mathematical Physics (Dover Books on Physics): Sagan, Hans: 9780486661322: Amazon.com: Books
although I haven't looked at it in 20 years. It starts with the calculus of variations, then uses it as the framework to discuss boundary value problems. You can view the table of contents here
Boundary and Eigenvalue Problems in Mathematical Physics (eBook) (doverpublications.com)

I also agree with caz that the Green's function book by Greenberg is very good - it is one of the most approachable introductions to the subject. I have looked at several of Greenberg's books and they are all good. He doesn't try to impress the reader with extra rigor or cleverness, but instead tries to explain things in a way that is easy for non-mathematicians to understand.

jason

Likes andresB

Related to Best Calculus of variations (Sturm Liouville Theory) textbook?

1. What is Calculus of Variations and why is it important?

Calculus of Variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal solution to a given functional. It is important because it allows us to solve problems in physics, engineering, and economics by minimizing or maximizing a certain quantity.

2. What is Sturm Liouville Theory and how does it relate to Calculus of Variations?

Sturm Liouville Theory is a mathematical theory that deals with the properties of differential equations. It is closely related to Calculus of Variations because it provides a framework for solving boundary value problems, which are often encountered in Calculus of Variations.

3. What makes a textbook the "best" for learning Calculus of Variations and Sturm Liouville Theory?

A good textbook for learning Calculus of Variations and Sturm Liouville Theory should have clear explanations of concepts, a variety of examples and practice problems, and a comprehensive coverage of the subject matter. It should also be written in a way that is accessible to students at various levels of mathematical background.

4. Are there any recommended prerequisites for studying Calculus of Variations and Sturm Liouville Theory?

It is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and ordinary differential equations before studying Calculus of Variations and Sturm Liouville Theory. Some knowledge of complex analysis and functional analysis may also be helpful.

5. Can you recommend any specific textbooks for learning Calculus of Variations and Sturm Liouville Theory?

Some popular textbooks for learning Calculus of Variations and Sturm Liouville Theory include "Calculus of Variations" by I.M. Gelfand and S.V. Fomin, "The Calculus of Variations" by Bruce van Brunt, and "Sturm-Liouville Theory" by G. Teschl. However, the best textbook for you may depend on your specific learning style and background, so it is recommended to do some research and read reviews before choosing a textbook.