Need calculus of variations book for a laymen

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of calculus of variations, which is a graduate-level course and can be challenging for those without a strong mathematical background. The individual is seeking recommendations for practical resources to better understand this subject and gain practical ability and intuition. Multiple resources are suggested, including a book by van Brunt and lecture notes on mathematical topics for basic Quantum Field Theory. The individual eventually shares a link to their notes, which the other person is able to access after creating a free Dropbox account.
MichPod
While trying to study textbooks on analytical mechanics or QFT I realized that I simply cannot operate with variations of functions in the same way I can operate with derivatives and integrals. I have never learned calculus of variations in university and, frankly, I am not much interested in this topic by itself, but I need it to go further in my attempts to learn physics.

So can anybody recommend a good practical book or may be video-course on this subject? Again, I do not need very fine details and rigorous proofs, but I need to gain practical ability to understand this stuff and gain some intuition with it. I see that some physics textbook try to introduce calculus of variations just as part of the text, but I fail to understand it to a satisfactory level.

Physics news on Phys.org
MichPod said:
While trying to study textbooks on analytical mechanics or QFT I realized that I simply cannot operate with variations of functions in the same way I can operate with derivatives and integrals. I have never learned calculus of variations in university and, frankly, I am not much interested in this topic by itself, but I need it to go further in my attempts to learn physics.

So can anybody recommend a good practical book or may be video-course on this subject? Again, I do not need very fine details and rigorous proofs, but I need to gain practical ability to understand this stuff and gain some intuition with it. I see that some physics textbook try to introduce calculus of variations just as part of the text, but I fail to understand it to a satisfactory level.
The calculus of variations is often a graduate-level course. It's pretty abstract stuff, and I doubt there's a Calculus of Variations for Dummies out there.

Now, there are certain physical problems which can be handled by the C of V which may be a little easier to understand than QFT, problems like the brachistochrone.

http://mat.uab.cat/matmat/PDFv2007/v2007n05.pdf

Why don't you try The Calculus of Variations by van Brunt. It has physical examples and you can skip over the theory if bored.

Likes MichPod
Likes smodak
malawi_glenn said:
I am actually in the progress writing "Lecture notes" about mathematical topics for basic Quantum Field Theory.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3c4wzdbaqbjumq/QFT_notes.pdf?dl=0

Now I so happens that I am almost finished with the section regarding calculus of variations :)
Is there any way you could share it publicly? I do not have a dropbox account and it does not let me download it. Thanks.

smodak said:
Is there any way you could share it publicly? I do not have a dropbox account and it does not let me download it. Thanks.
strange that one needs a dropbox account in order to obtain access to a shared file, it has never happened to me before

no I do not want to do that because it is not finished yet

malawi_glenn said:
strange that one needs a dropbox account in order to obtain access to a shared file, it has never happened to me before

no I do not want to do that because it is not finished yet
Ok, I will open a free account. Thanks for sharing.

Related to Need calculus of variations book for a laymen

1. What is calculus of variations?

Calculus of variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal values of a certain quantity, such as time or energy, by minimizing a specific functional. It involves using techniques from calculus and differential equations to solve optimization problems.

2. Who can benefit from learning calculus of variations?

Anyone with a strong foundation in calculus and differential equations can benefit from learning calculus of variations. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and optimization problems in general.

3. Is calculus of variations difficult to learn for a layman?

While calculus of variations may seem intimidating at first, it can be made accessible to a layman with the right resources and approach. With patience and practice, anyone can understand the concepts and applications of calculus of variations.

4. What are some real-life applications of calculus of variations?

Calculus of variations has numerous applications in various fields, such as finding the shortest path between two points, determining the shape of a soap film, optimizing the trajectory of a rocket, and even in economic models for maximizing profits.

5. Can you recommend a calculus of variations book for a layman?

Yes, "Calculus of Variations: An Introduction to the One-Dimensional Theory with Examples and Exercises" by Robert Weinstock is a highly recommended book for beginners. It provides a clear and concise introduction to the subject with plenty of examples and exercises to help solidify the concepts.