Confusion over Calculus Book example footnote

In summary, the book is "Calculus" 7th ed, by Robert A. Adams and Christopher Essex. It is about an explained example of the first conclusion of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, at Chapter 5.5. I will quote the step I have doubt about:Example 7 Find the derivatives of the following functions:(b) ##G(x)=x^2\,\displaystyle\int_{-4}^{5x}{\,e^{-t^2}\,dt}##Solution By the Product Rule and the Chain Rule,$$G'(x)=(...)$$$$ =2x\displaystyle\int
mcastillo356
Gold Member
Hi,PF

The book is "Calculus" 7th ed, by Robert A. Adams and Christopher Essex. It is about an explained example of the first conclusion of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, at Chapter 5.5.

I will only quote the step I have doubt about:

Example 7 Find the derivatives of the following functions:

(b) ##G(x)=x^2\,\displaystyle\int_{-4}^{5x}{\,e^{-t^2}\,dt}##

Solution By the Product Rule and the Chain Rule,

$$G'(x)=(...)$$
$$ =2x\displaystyle\int_{-4}^{5x}{\,e^{-t^2}\,dt}+x^2\;e^{-(5x)^2}\,(5)$$

When I've seen this last written (5), I've thought in first place that I had to move backwards in the textbook. At last, I've understood it referred to the integral upper limit.

Question: I've spent a few hours trying to understand the footnote: the number we must multiply the second summatory by.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just avoid this note and show the result, without that step? Furthermore: isn't this step unclear?.

Greetings!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have some difficulties understanding your actual question. Do you mean "why has the author put the 5 in paranthesis instead of ##\cdot 5##"?

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356 and PeroK
mcastillo356 said:
Wouldn't it have been easier to just avoid this note and show the result, without that step? Furthermore: isn't this step unclear?.
Do you mean just write?
$$\dots \ +5x^2e^{-25x^2}$$

Likes mcastillo356
PeroK said:
Do you mean just write?
$$\dots \ +5x^2e^{-25x^2}$$
Yes

malawi_glenn said:
I have some difficulties understanding your actual question. Do you mean "why has the author put the 5 in paranthesis instead of ##\cdot 5##"?
Yes. It was confusing to me that parenthesis. It made me think it refered to some forgotten content I had to revisit somewhere, some pages back on the textbook. Actually, isn't that "(5)", I mean, the act of writing this kind of note, meant to refer to already read contains?

Usually it is made clear that you have to refer to a previous equation numbered 5, with something like "by (5)" or a similar phrasing, and it is usually done in the text, not in the middle of the equation (and just dropping a reference to some previous formula in the middle of derivation without any explanatory words wouldn't make much sense anyway). You can see that the author used similar notation in the derivation in the next example:
##\begin{align}
H(x) &= \int_{0}^{x^3}{e^{-t^2}\,dt}-\int_{0}^{x^2}{e^{-t^2}\,dt}\nonumber\\
H'(x) &= e^{-(x^3)^2}(3x^2) - e^{-(x^2)^2}(2x) \nonumber\\
&= 3x^2\,e^{-x^6} - 2x\,e^{-x^4} \nonumber
\end{align}##

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
Thanks, PF! I can understand why did they write the note. I can turn the page.
Regards!

Dragon27 said:
##\begin{align}
H(x) &= \int_{0}^{x^3}{e^{-t^2}\,dt}-\int_{0}^{x^2}{e^{-t^2}\,dt}\nonumber\\
H'(x) &= e^{-(x^3)^2}(3x^2) - e^{-(x^2)^2}(2x) \nonumber\\
&= 3x^2\,e^{-x^6} - 2x\,e^{-x^4} \nonumber
\end{align}##
Hi, PF, the quoted example builds the Chain Rule into the first conclusion of the Fundamental Theorem:

$$\displaystyle\frac{d}{dx}\displaystyle\int_a^{g(x)}\,f(t)dt=f(g(x))g'(x)$$

The doubt is related, but different at the same time; the Chain Rule itself. I will quote Wikipedia ("Chain Rule" article):

In calculus, the chain rule is a formula that expresses the derivative of the composition of two differentiable functions ##f## and ##g## in terms of the derivatives of ##f## and ##g##. More precisely, if ##h=f\circ{g}## is the function such that ##h(x)=f(g(x))## for every ##x##, then the chain rule is, in Lagrange notation, $$h'(x)=f'(g(x))g'(x)$$.

Well... Just solved the doubt. It is in fact that the number ##e## is the unique positive real number such that ##\displaystyle\frac{d}{dx}\,e^t=e^t##. I mean that I thought that the function ##e^{-t^2}## had not been differentiated. Indeed, of course it is.

Now, the question is: am I on the track?. Is this an inteligible post?

Greetings!

Well, from the Chain rule:
$$\begin{align}
&h(x)=f(g(x))\nonumber\\
&h'(x)=f'(g(x))g'(x)\nonumber
\end{align}$$
in case of the integral (I've changed the notation to avoid confusion)
$$\displaystyle\frac{d}{dx}\displaystyle\int_a^{g_1(x)}\,f_1(t)dt$$
we have
$$\begin{align}
&g(x)=g_1(x)\nonumber\\
&f(x)=\int_a^{x}\,f_1(t)dt\nonumber
\end{align}$$
so that
$$\begin{align}
&f'(x)=f_1(x)\nonumber\\
&h(x)=f(g(x))=\int_a^{g_1(x)}\,f_1(t)dt\nonumber\\
&h'(x)=f'(g(x))g'(x)=f_1(g_1(x))g_1'(x)\nonumber
\end{align}$$

• Informative
Likes vanhees71, mcastillo356 and PeroK
Hi, PF, @Dragon27, it's just brilliant, I mean the previous post. It really has captured the doubt, and solved it in a bright mathematical language.

Thanks a lot!

1. What is the purpose of the example footnote in the Calculus book?

The purpose of the example footnote in the Calculus book is to provide additional clarification or explanation for a specific example in the text. It may also offer alternative methods or solutions for solving the problem.

2. Why is there confusion surrounding the example footnote?

The confusion surrounding the example footnote may be due to a lack of understanding of the concept being presented, or it may be a result of the footnote being unclear or poorly written.

3. How can the confusion over the example footnote be resolved?

The confusion over the example footnote can be resolved by seeking clarification from the author or a teacher, consulting additional resources, or discussing with peers who may have a better understanding of the concept.

4. Can the example footnote be ignored if it is causing confusion?

It is not recommended to ignore the example footnote as it may contain important information or alternative approaches to solving the problem. Instead, it is best to address the confusion and seek clarification.

5. Is it common for textbooks to have confusing footnotes?

It is not uncommon for textbooks to have confusing footnotes, as they are often used to provide additional information or clarification, which can sometimes be presented in a complex or unclear manner. However, it is important for authors to strive for clarity and accuracy in their footnotes to minimize confusion for readers.