Belt pull on v-belt mower deck

• Thread starter grandnat_6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Belt Pull
In summary: Overall, it is important to carefully calculate the belt pull in order to properly design the spindle shaft and select the appropriate bearings. In summary, when determining the belt pull on a mower deck with 3 spindles and a spring loaded back idler, it is important to consider the RPMs, weight of the spindle and mower blades, and the amount of tension in the belts. This will help in designing the spindle shaft and selecting the correct bearings.
grandnat_6
Hi,

I'm trying to find the belt pull on a mower deck. The deck consist of 3 spindles and a spring loaded back idler with one v-belt.

The engine driving the spindles is a 20 HP twin cylinder engine operating at 3600RPM. Main drive spindle is 3600 rpm (1:1 ratio) Engine manual says max torque is 32.5 ft lbs @2500 rpm.

What I did was use a small hanging scale fixed to the deck with the other end of the scale fixed to the belt.

I then used a torque wrench on the main drive spindle until either the belt slipped or until I reached 33 ft-lbs. Which ever came first. I reached the 33 ft-lbs before the belt slipped. The scale showed there was 165 lbf on the belt.

Would this be a correct method to determine belt pull? Would RPM's, weight of the spindle, mower blades need to be considered? If so how?

Reason I'm trying to find the belt pull; so I can design the spindle shaft and find the bearing loads to size bearings.

I did use gates design IQ for this. It was great but says I need more than one belt and I think the tension it says the belts should have is much greater than is actually there.

Thank you for the help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, your method for calculating the belt pull is correct. You need to take into consideration the RPMs, weight of the spindle, and mower blades when determining the size of the bearings that you will use. The higher the RPMs and weight, the larger the bearings that you will need. The size of the mower blades will also have an effect on the size of the bearings. If the blades are large, then the bearings need to be able to handle the extra load. Additionally, you should factor in the amount of tension that the belts should have in order to ensure that they do not slip.

Related to Belt pull on v-belt mower deck

What is a belt pull on a v-belt mower deck?

A belt pull on a v-belt mower deck refers to the force exerted on the belt by the engine in order to drive the mower blades. This force is necessary for the proper functioning of the mower deck.

Why is the belt pull important in a v-belt mower deck?

The belt pull is important because it determines the amount of power that is transferred from the engine to the mower blades. A proper belt pull ensures efficient cutting and prevents the belt from slipping or breaking.

How is the belt pull measured on a v-belt mower deck?

The belt pull is typically measured in pounds or newtons. This can be done using a belt tension gauge or by calculating the force required to deflect the belt by a certain amount.

What factors can affect the belt pull on a v-belt mower deck?

There are several factors that can affect the belt pull on a v-belt mower deck, including the tension of the belt, the condition of the pulleys and bearings, and the speed and load of the engine. Proper maintenance and adjustment of these components can help maintain the correct belt pull.

How can I adjust the belt pull on a v-belt mower deck?

The belt pull can be adjusted by either tightening or loosening the belt tension, depending on the specific mower deck model. It is important to consult the mower's manual or seek professional help to ensure the correct adjustment is made.