Design 3-Axis Belt System w/ 1.5kW Motor & Flat Multi-Vee Belt

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a 3-axis system with a motor to idler ratio of 3:1 and an idler to driven ratio of 1:2. The system uses a flat multi-vee belt and is in vertical alignment. The issue at hand is explaining the difference between static and dynamic loads on the shafts, specifically how centrifugal force affects the dynamic load. The motor can rotate at speeds ranging from 150 to 10000 RPM. The conversation suggests checking out a website for more information on bearing load capacities, but does not provide an explanation for why dynamic loads are lower than static loads.
billinr
I am attempting to design a basic 3 axis system, where the motor to idler ratio is 3:1, and the idler to driven ratio is 1:2. The motor is 1.5 kW, variable speed. All three axis are in vertical alignment. This is a belt drive using a flat multi-vee belt.
My problem is trying to explain the difference between the static and dynamic loads on the shafts. I have been told that centrifugal force plays a part in the lower dynamic loads, but I am still not able to understand this to a point where I can pass along the information. The motor will rotate anywhere from 150 to 10000 RPM - how does such a low speed generate enough centrifugal force to change the shaft load?

Can anyone pass on some basic theory or point me to some sites where I can read up on this?

Thanks for the help

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am assuming that you are referring to rotary bearings when talking about centrifugals. Either way, a bearing has a dynamic load capacity which is the maximum load it can handle while still rotating. This is opposed to the static load which is the max load while the bearing is not rotating.

Take a look here and see if this quick read helps:
http://www.efunda.com/DesignStandards/bearings/bearings_rotary_ld_life.cfm

Thanks for the site - lots of good info there.

I didn't see anything that would provide an answer as to why a rotating shaft would see lower loads than a stationary shaft. I realize the bearings will distribute the load - that isn't where my problem lies. I just need to nderstand the basic theory behind why a dynamic load is lower than a static load.

Can you provide the Cliffs Notes version of that?

Related to Design 3-Axis Belt System w/ 1.5kW Motor & Flat Multi-Vee Belt

1. What is the purpose of the 3-axis belt system?

The 3-axis belt system is designed to transfer power and motion from the 1.5kW motor to various components in a machine, allowing for precise and efficient movement in three different directions.

2. Why was a 1.5kW motor chosen for this design?

A 1.5kW motor was chosen for this design as it provides enough power to drive the system while also being relatively compact and energy-efficient. It is also a commonly used motor size in industrial applications.

3. What is the benefit of using a flat multi-vee belt in this system?

A flat multi-vee belt offers several benefits in this system, including high power transmission capabilities, low maintenance requirements, and smooth and quiet operation. It also allows for flexible placement of the motor and other components, making it easier to design and build the system.

4. How does the 3-axis belt system differ from other types of belt systems?

The 3-axis belt system differs from other types of belt systems in that it allows for movement in three different directions, rather than just one or two. This makes it ideal for applications where precise and multi-directional movement is required.

5. Can the 3-axis belt system be customized for specific needs?

Yes, the 3-axis belt system can be customized for specific needs. The motor size and type, belt material and size, and overall design can be adjusted to meet the requirements of a particular application. This makes it a versatile and adaptable choice for a variety of industrial and scientific uses.