Ask a Stupid Quetion Get a Stupid Answer

• Thread starter climbhi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary, a group of individuals are discussing a new forum and its purpose of asking and answering "stupid questions." They discuss topics such as how long it takes to reach 1000 posts, the existence of the old forums, the best superpower, an elevator that goes sideways, and the reasons behind posting in this forum. They also explore the question of why they ask questions and the possible theories that have not been invented. Eventually, the conversation turns to the expansion of the universe and the orbit of planets around stars.
  • #2,136
JFo said:
the same way one finds the number of different color patterns of a rubix cube.

Why does everyone love a slinky?
Because it just sort of bouces in your hands.

What is the point of banana milkshakes?

The Bob (2004 ©)

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,137
The Bob said:
What is the point of banana milkshakes?

The Bob (2004 ©)

Apparently, the point of banana milkshakes is The Bob (2004 ©).

Will this thread ever catch up to "Thread Killer Champions"?

• #2,138
hypnagogue said:
Will this thread ever catch up to "Thread Killer Champions"?
It might do. What do you mean by catch up?

The Bob (2004 ©)

• #2,139
The Bob said:
It might do. What do you mean by catch up?

The Bob (2004 ©)

It means catching the threadkiller champion.

Might it be useful to think this thread just might be the antithread for the threadkiller thread, and when both equal post, it annhilates each other?

• #2,140
Let's hope not!

Why do we drive on a parkway and park in a driveway?

• #2,141
whitetigerboy56 said:
Why do we drive on a parkway and park in a driveway?
I am sure we have had this before and I can't say the english do that. :wink:

So what was the question before last?

The Bob (2004 ©)

• #2,142
The Bob said:
So what was the question before last?

The Bob (2004 ©)
Well The Bob, interesting question. Let us see. *Looks back* Oh yes, here it is:

Might it be useful to think this thread just might be the antithread for the threadkiller thread, and when both equal post, it annhilates each other?

The Bob (2004 ©)

• #2,143
Gaaah! Its Back!

• #2,144
The Bob said:
Well The Bob, interesting question. Let us see. *Looks back* Oh yes, here it is:

The Bob (2004 ©)
Nah, this thread deserves to live. The other one (I won't defile myself by saying the name) is not even worthy of being called a thread. Its existence is so fake and contrived, it makes me sick.

Down, other thread ! Long live 'Stupid Quetion' !

Who here, besides The Bob talk to themselves ?

• #2,145
Gokul43201 said:
Who here, besides The Bob talk to themselves ?
[For the thread's sake] That is a good question. Who else talks to themselves?

The Bob (2004 ©)

• #2,146
The Bob said:
[For the thread's sake] That is a good question. Who else talks to themselves?

The Bob (2004 ©)
I don't talk to myself. I am on speaking terms with my alternate ego. :mad:

• #2,147
hypermorphism said:
I don't talk to myself. I am on speaking terms with my alternate ego. :mad:
Wow. Have I affended you or is the :mad: for affect?

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. Take this as the question after the one that hypermorphism will ask after the answer to this one.

• #2,148
The Bob said:
Wow. Have I affended you or is the :mad: for affect?

The Bob (2004 ©)

P.S. Take this as the question after the one that hypermorphism will ask after the answer to this one.

It's hard to effect anything more than a smirking affectation with these shiny, colorful things. :mad: :wink: Why are these things called graemlins anyway ? they don't look anything like these guys.

• #2,149
hypermorphism said:
Why are these things called graemlins anyway ?
I didn't know they were called Graemlins. Maybe it is because they show just the face, the only part of a Graemlin that can really be seen.

Why would someone call a film 'Graemlin'?

The Bob (2004 ©)

• #2,150
The Bob said:
Why would someone call a film 'Graemlin'?

The Bob (2004 ©)

'Glad you're back and talking to yourself, the Bob, and - as for the quetion, it ranks up there with 'why would someone call themselves 'the Bob'?; therefore the answer is "eek, scary name, therefore scary movie!"

Actually, wouldn't that have been more effective had I said, :eek:, name, therefore, movie?

• #2,151
ok i don't want to post this under 'physics' sections.. cause if I am wrong ill probably be rediculed

so here it goes - under penalty of sliding into the 'ask the stupid question' part.

i looked at the clock today, and thought about dividing hours by degrees. so 12 hours = 2*pi, 24 hours = 4pi

so I thought, 1 hour = pi/6 = 60 minutes, 1 minute = pi/360, 1 second = pi/21600

so, naturally being ignorant of geometry, i decided to apply this principle of 1 second to Planck Time

~ 5.391 *10 ^-44 seconds * pi/21600 /second = ~116 * 10^-42 pi. so.. a stupid question: what is this?

multiplying things out.. it goes to 6.5123 * 10^-48 .. kinda less than Planck length though

i mean u know.. could be a spin distance by a photon..if you parametrize it.. who knows.. ah right i donno :devil:

Last edited:
  • #2,152
cronxeh said:
so.. a stupid question: what is this?
It would seem that you do not get the idea of this thread. However, you have raised an interesting question and so this will be disscused for a while.

First, you say that 12 hours = 2pi. This I will agree with as 360° = 2pi. What gets me is why you have divided pi by 6. There are 60 minutes in an hour and an hour will take 360° to go around which means a minute is:

[tex]\frac{360}{60} \ or \ \frac{2 \pi}{60}[/tex]

These give 6° or [tex]\frac{ \pi}{30} ^c[/tex] for each minute (and then you can divide again for seconds). So 60 seconds (of time) is equal to traveling 1 minute (of time), 6° or [tex]\frac{ \pi}{30} ^c[/tex] around a clock face.

I do not see what Planck time has to do with what you are doing. So here is my question: Why it is being used and what are you hoping to find from using it? Can you explain to me what it is?

The Bob (2004 ©)

EDIT: I see where the [tex]\frac{2 \pi}{12} ^c[/tex] has come from. This will give you the positions of the 'hours'. However you could have the 'hours' in different places as you really are (almost) making up your own way of telling the time. The placings of the minutes, however, should be as above. Again, I am talking about the placings (or degrees) that the minutes and hours must be. The amount of 'time' that one of them will take is as you have stated above. I do apologise for misunderstanding what you meant.

Last edited:
  • #2,153
I think what I calculated is how many radians the thing would travel in a circular motion in Pascal Time. I think what I need to do next is parametrize the circular path curve and find the distance.. i think it will be Planck length so nothing exciting there, false alert

• #2,154
Penguinraider enjoys and always talks about himself in the third person.

Why does timego slower during boring lectures and speed up during,oh, say football? Does time enjoy playing tricks on us?

• #2,155
penguinraider said:
Why does timego slower during boring lectures and speed up during,oh, say football? Does time enjoy playing tricks on us?
Time is like a little monkey and when it is excited it does more and faster. This is why time seems to go faster, it is just excited. Also it can go slow when it is bored. Each person has its own time monkey.

Why do we map time with space?

The Bob (2004 ©)

• #2,156
The Bob said:
Why do we map time with space?
I do not know but I am going to stop now before everyone thinks I am talking to myself. :rolleyes:

What is needed for a thread to be popular?

The Bob (2004 ©)

• #2,157
A good haircut and a new pair of glasses.

Why haven't I posted here before? :confused:

• #2,158
arildno said:
Why haven't I posted here before? :confused:

Because you have "no" in your name.

What makes a haircut good?

• #2,159
are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCANT?

• #2,160
A mexican't.

Who else talks to themselves in the third person?

• #2,161
penguinraider said:
Who else talks to themselves in the third person?
No one. According to Who's Who In The Third Person, 1988 edition (last edition in print) Mrs. Leonard Robinson of Letona, Arkansas, USA was the only remaining practitioner of this art, and she retired from it in 1979 to pursue a carrear in creative paleontology. Her hoax of Arkansas Man, which proved the prehistoric roots of inbreeding, was created by carefully filing and sculpting the lower mandible of her great uncle's skeletal remains such that it fit perfectly into the sockets of his own scull!. She received a blue ribbon at the state fair for this. Currently she is doing volunteer work in Europe cleaning up exploded toads. Here's to you, Mrs. Robinson!

Recently, when I was crawling on all fours in northern Germany inserting explosives into toads, the newscaster on the radio I was monitoring for unjellitivistic utterances announced that authorities had determined that on the 17th on this month, between the hours of 3:35 and 4:14 P.M. EST, no one in the world had thought about Simon B. Birmingham, author of Fun With Bodyhair, Houghton/Mifflin 1952. That being the case, I made a vow to think of him at least once every ten minutes for the rest of my life so that this situation would never arise again. Already, though, I have stumbled several times. Is there no one who will help take up the slack?

• #2,162
I have a question.

my mother always said that stupid people are those who do supid things.

is she correct?

• #2,163
<<<GUILLE>>> said:
is she correct?
Yes, because life is like a box of chocolates, a sticky, gooey assemblage of lipid stupidity; a neatly packaged set of little chocolate crania which contain some kind of runny, gooey syrup that should be cerebral tissue but isn't. Stupid is as stupid does. An that's about all Ah have ta say about thaaat.

Is there no one to help me take up the slack?

• #2,164
zoobyshoe said:
Sure, my uncle is a tailor; He can take up your slacks. How many inches would you like taken off?

• #2,165
honestrosewater said:
How many inches would you like taken off?
Don't know. Zoobies measure in the swebble unit system. No one has successfully worked out a means of conversion. There was this one brilliant mathemetician who penned an exited claim to have thought up an "ingenious solution" in the margin of a work on another subject. When questioned later he said he meant he'd figured out what to do with old boxes of chocolates.

Recently, neurologist Oliver Sacks complained bitterly that years ago his publisher had pressured him into altering the title of his book The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat. The actual title was supposed to be: The Man Who Mistook His Hat For A Wife. The publisher felt the sex scenes were not fit for the reading public, and told him to change the title and the story or go unpublished. Anyway, Sack is about to publish a sequal entitled The Man Who Mistook A Muffler For An African Grey Parrot. Apparently his neurological inability to distinguish between a Dodge muffler and his parrot lead him to go around for years with the muffler balanced on his shoulder. Constant feeding of seeds into the forward end lead to their eventual falling from the rear end which simply reinforced his belief in it as a living bird. Sacks has complained bitterly that his publisher has forbidden him to disclose what the man did with the actual parrot. Should publishers interfere with neurology?

• #2,166
zoobyshoe said:
Yes, because life is like a box of chocolates, a sticky, gooey assemblage of lipid stupidity; a neatly packaged set of little chocolate crania which contain some kind of runny, gooey syrup that should be cerebral tissue but isn't. Stupid is as stupid does. An that's about all Ah have ta say about thaaat.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......I only understood until the first word, but neva minde.

• #2,167
zoobyshoe said:
Should publishers interfere with neurology?
Intereting quetion. Just as those with neurological disorders often mistake mufflers for parrots, it's not uncommon for editors to mistake what they do to manuscripts for literary talent. It seems in this case that neurology is interfering with publishers.

My dentist just asked me I wanted novocaine, lidocaine or Michael Caine. Which one is the most numbing?

• #2,168
Math Is Hard said:
Which one is the most numbing?
Internal or external use?

Speaking of dentists, the National Geohographic Channel recently aired a special on the phenomenon of Spontaneous Human Andentition, a mysterious disorder in which a person's teeth suddenly drop out. Some blame sugar cane, some: cane toads, some: exploding toads. A fringe group posits the existence of the dentotron, a subatomic particle that, while rare, can sometimes find it's way through the Van Allen radiation belt to the Earth's surface where encounters with smiling people lead to this mysterious loss of teeth. Some claim there is no such disorder, that thw people whose teeth fall out are human/shark hybrids, a stand supported by the fact that the sufferer's teeth generally grow back in a week or two. What's your take on the phenomenon of Spontaneous Human Andentition?

• #2,169
zoobyshoe said:
What's your take on the phenomenon of Spontaneous Human Andentition?
Mercy! What a terrible malady. I have heard that it only befalls those who are simultaneously down in the mouth, long in the tooth, and suffering from an exploding frog in the throat. Thus the rarity of the condition.

In January of 1947, Alfred Einstein was simultaneously down in the mouth, long in the tooth, and suffering from an exploding frog in the throat. As his teeth flew from his head, Alfred marveled feverishly at the tiny white projectiles and he knew instantly that he had stumbled on to a concept of great significance. In his delirium, he called the office of every newspaper in town and shouted his discovery, but alas they completely misinterpreted what poor toothless Alfred said.

Two possible questions to answer. Choose one or both:
1)What was Alfred trying to say?
2) What did they think he said?

• #2,170
Math Is Hard said:
Two possible questions to answer. Choose one or both:
1)What was Alfred trying to say?
2) What did they think he said?
This is the famous "Ice frost! Ice frost!" incident. That's what the papers heard him exclaim. Alfred, himself, believed that he had discovered the uselessness of flossing as it had done nothing to prevent his loss of teeth. He was actually shouting "I flossed! I flossed!" The incident was a source of great confusion in the scientific world till Alfred's teeth grew back a week or two later. Only one man, then Whipper-Snapper Emeritus at Cornell, Richard P. Chineynman, had been able to work out the probability of what Alfred E. had actually said and knew it was a false alarm. "He say: `I frossed! I frossed!' That all." No one, though, understood Chineynman, despite his being correct. (Chineynman admitted that he, himself, may not have understood the explanation he'd arrived at, but that he was certain it was correct.)

Today the National Geohographic Channel again aired their special on the wild giant swine Hog Kong who was shot and killed after several seasons of terrorizing a weird, purple jellyfish farm somewhere in rural America. Hog Kong was claimed to be the size of a school bus and to weight in at several dozens of tons, and the National Geohographic team was geared up to get to the facts of the matter, to get accurate measurements and DNA samples. The disinternment proved Hog Kong was, in fact, a school bus, and it's DNA showed it to be the comon diesel variety, not some kind of wild natural gas or propane model. The quetion remains: who was driving?