Are there any quality online programs for astrophysics?

In summary, the speaker is in the military and looking for a high quality online program in physics with a minor in astronomy. They have not had much luck in their search so far and are open to suggestions. They mention Open University and Caltech/Coursera as potential options, but are also considering the University of North Dakota's distance learning program.
bombboy85
Good morning,

I have been researching into a possible astronomy or astrophysics educational plan but my research is not looking too promising. I am enlisted the in the military currently so due to the premise of moving anywhere in the world at any time plus deployments online courses are truly the best options for me. In my research though I understandably found that if I were to find a degree path that I would like the only online options were not of very good quality.

Does anyone have any knowledge of a college that offers a high quality program that at least provides up to a bachelors in physics with a minor in astronomy. If all worked out timing wise I could find a graduate school near my location down the road to continue my education.

For those that may be curious about my current background if it may help in any way, I got my associates of applied sciences in automotive technology when I was 18 and am now in the military as an Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician (Bomb Squad). My current job requires at least a base understanding of mathematics, physics of explosives, electronics, engineering.

Physics news on Phys.org
Open University (UK-based) seems to be the go-to option for distance-learning in the English-speaking world. I don't know about their quality or recognition of their physics program outside of the UK though.

It's not a course of study, just a single class, but you might want to try Caltech/Coursera's Galaxies and Cosmology. For serious material and the chance to learn something, these classes are just as good as being at Caltech. For credit, not so much. Yet.

You could check into whether saylor.org has anything interesting for you too.

Lavabug said:
Open University (UK-based) seems to be the go-to option for distance-learning in the English-speaking world. I don't know about their quality or recognition of their physics program outside of the UK though.

I checked them out and seems fairly legitimate sadly though I would be using my GI Bill so the school would likely have to be based in the United States. Thank you for the information though.

I have found an distance learning masters program from the University of North Dakota. I provided a link below to see if anyone may be able to discern it's quality or if anyone has heard much about the program and can provide any feedback it would be appreciated.

http://www.space.edu/Academic Programs/DistanceMasters.aspx

Last edited:

I would recommend looking into reputable universities that offer online programs in astrophysics. Some well-known universities that offer online programs in astrophysics include the University of California, Berkeley, the University of Colorado Boulder, and the University of Arizona. These universities have strong reputations in the field of astrophysics and offer high-quality online programs that can lead to a bachelor's degree in physics with a minor in astronomy. Additionally, these universities also have graduate programs that you can potentially attend in the future if you are able to find a location near your military assignment. I would also recommend reaching out to the academic advisors at these universities to discuss your specific situation and see if they have any recommendations or accommodations for military personnel. Best of luck in your educational pursuits!

Related to Are there any quality online programs for astrophysics?

1. What are some reputable universities that offer online programs in astrophysics?

Some reputable universities that offer online programs in astrophysics include Arizona State University, Penn State University, and the University of California, Berkeley.

2. Are there any fully online programs for astrophysics, or do they require some in-person components?

There are a few fully online programs for astrophysics, but most programs do require some in-person components such as labs or on-campus intensives.

3. How long does it typically take to complete an online program in astrophysics?

The length of an online program in astrophysics can vary, but on average, it takes about 2-3 years to complete a master's degree and 4-6 years to complete a doctoral degree.

4. Are there any specific prerequisites or qualifications needed to enroll in an online program for astrophysics?

Yes, most online programs for astrophysics require a strong background in mathematics and physics, as well as a bachelor's degree in a related field. Some programs may also require GRE scores and letters of recommendation.

5. Can I pursue a career in astrophysics with an online degree?

Yes, an online degree in astrophysics can lead to various career opportunities such as research positions, teaching positions, and jobs in the aerospace industry. However, it's important to note that some positions may require additional qualifications or experience.