Are programming skills required to get into an Applied Math PhD school?

In summary, it seems that the individual is concerned about their lack of programming experience and how it may affect their chances of getting into top PhD programs in applied math. They mention their proficiency in R and basic knowledge of java and C++, but have not taken a numerical methods class. They express interest in studying PDEs, fluid dynamics, and dynamical systems. They ask if it is okay to have limited programming experience and if schools like Washington, NYU, and UChicago will view this negatively. They also inquire if anyone has gotten into an Applied Math PhD program without much programming experience. The response suggests that the individual's current experience should be enough, but recommends researching the research groups and projects at the schools they are interested in to get
cfddude123
Hi Physicsforum,

I'll be graduating next semester (one semester early) with a degree in Pure Math and Statistics (minor in Atmopheric Science). I have good research experience and an internship and can get some good letters of recommendation. However, I'm worried that I don't have enough programming experience to get into top PhD programs in applied math. I am proficient with R, but I'm not applying to Statistics. I know very basic java and C++, but I've never taken a numerical methods class. I want to study PDEs, fluid dynamics, and dynamical systems.

Is it okay that I won't have much programming experience? Will schools like Washington, NYU, and UChicago look down on that? Has anyone else gotten into an Applied Math PhD program without much programming experience?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nishrito said:
Hi Physicsforum,

I'll be graduating next semester (one semester early) with a degree in Pure Math and Statistics (minor in Atmopheric Science). I have good research experience and an internship and can get some good letters of recommendation. However, I'm worried that I don't have enough programming experience to get into top PhD programs in applied math. I am proficient with R, but I'm not applying to Statistics. I know very basic java and C++, but I've never taken a numerical methods class. I want to study PDEs, fluid dynamics, and dynamical systems.

Is it okay that I won't have much programming experience? Will schools like Washington, NYU, and UChicago look down on that? Has anyone else gotten into an Applied Math PhD program without much programming experience?

Hey Nishrito and welcome to the forums.

Short of asking them, it's going to be hard to give the most accurate answer.

I'm going to make an educated guess and say that the experience you already have should be enough. The key thing to keep in mind is that if you have to learn something new, then you should be able to do it within a reasonable time-frame if it ends up being required of you to do what you have to do: this is the attitude that you will need to have especially when doing a PhD.

With regards to getting a more specific answer, you should find out what kinds of things these schools do research in and one way of doing this is looking at what your potential supervisors have done in the past both by themselves (and in collaboration with others), and also what other previous students of theirs (if they have supervised other PhD students) have worked on.

Again as an educated guess, I think knowing things like MATLAB, Maple, Mathematica, R, SAS and those kinds of things should be enough, but if you really want to get a better idea short of asking the university itself, then take a look at the research groups websites and find out the kind of projects (PhD and post PhD) that have been worked on.

Related to Are programming skills required to get into an Applied Math PhD school?

1. Are programming skills necessary for an Applied Math PhD program?

While having programming skills may be helpful, they are not typically a requirement for admission into an Applied Math PhD program. Many programs offer introductory courses in programming for students without prior experience.

2. Can I still be successful in an Applied Math PhD program without programming skills?

Yes, it is possible to succeed in an Applied Math PhD program without extensive programming skills. However, having some basic programming knowledge can be beneficial for conducting research and analyzing data.

3. How important are programming skills for research in Applied Mathematics?

Programming skills can be very useful for research in Applied Mathematics, especially for data analysis and simulation. However, they are not always essential and there are other mathematical tools and techniques that can be used for research.

4. Will I have the opportunity to learn programming in an Applied Math PhD program?

Many Applied Math PhD programs offer courses in programming, as well as opportunities for self-study and workshops. Additionally, collaborating with other researchers can also provide opportunities to learn programming skills.

5. Are there any specific programming languages that are important for an Applied Math PhD program?

The programming language(s) you may need to know will depend on your specific research interests and the tools commonly used in your field. Some commonly used programming languages in Applied Mathematics include MATLAB, Python, and R.