Applied Physics & Math: Achieving Research Goals w/out Teaching

• Thread starter guss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Applied
In summary, the individual is considering a major in Applied Physics with a possible double major in math. They do not want to become a physics professor or teacher, but rather prefer to do research. They are concerned about ending up as a teacher or professor and are seeking advice on how to avoid this. The option of studying engineering is mentioned, but the individual is more interested in theoretical work. The conversation also touches on the job prospects for those with a degree in applied physics compared to engineering. Ultimately, the individual is unsure of which path to take and is seeking guidance.
guss
I want to major in Applied Physics in college, and maybe double major with math. I will probably go on to get a Masters or PhD in Physics or Applied Physics.

My problem is this: I don't want to be a physics professor or teacher. I have heard lots of stories of people wanting to do other things in a certain field, only to end up as a physics teacher.

No offense to physics teachers, though. I just personally don't really like, and suck at, explaining things to people. I can absolutely see why people want to become teachers and respect them for that, personally, though, I would just prefer to do research.

This may be kind of a bad question, but what is the best way to make sure I don't end up as a teacher or professor? I would much prefer doing research somewhere. I have read ZapperZ guide.

I'm just curious if there's anything specific I should do, or anything specific I should avoid.

Thanks! And please don't take offense, teachers. :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered studying engineering?

Don't apply for teaching jobs then.

lisab said:
Have you considered studying engineering?
Kind of, but what I would enjoy doing the most is theorizing some method of doing something, then making it come to life. I would rather study physics than engineering because I like theory, but I also like doing a little engineering. I suppose I'm thinking that applied physics is kind of like a physics major and a mechanical (or whatever) engineering minor tied together. Am I thinking right? I kind of just threw applied physics out there because I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do yet.

odinsthunder said:
Don't apply for teaching jobs then.
I'm just worried that that could become my only option.

Bump.

guss said:
Kind of, but what I would enjoy doing the most is theorizing some method of doing something, then making it come to life. I would rather study physics than engineering because I like theory, but I also like doing a little engineering. I suppose I'm thinking that applied physics is kind of like a physics major and a mechanical (or whatever) engineering minor tied together. Am I thinking right? I kind of just threw applied physics out there because I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do yet.

I'm just worried that that could become my only option.

My $0.02: no, an applied physics degree wouldn't be the same as an engineering degree -- to a hiring manager. That's who you need to convince otherwise, and that can be tough.

What you describe - theorizing a solution and making it work - that's done all the time by engineers.

Full disclosure: my background is in physics and in general, I've had a harder time getting a job than engineers. Engineers don't have to convince anyone of their skills, they don't have to market themselves as hard as those with a physics degree, IMO. So when people write in that they are on the fence between the two, I usually nudge towards engineering.

lisab said:
My $0.02: no, an applied physics degree wouldn't be the same as an engineering degree -- to a hiring manager. That's who you need to convince otherwise, and that can be tough.

What you describe - theorizing a solution and making it work - that's done all the time by engineers.

Full disclosure: my background is in physics and in general, I've had a harder time getting a job than engineers. Engineers don't have to convince anyone of their skills, they don't have to market themselves as hard as those with a physics degree, IMO. So when people write in that they are on the fence between the two, I usually nudge towards engineering.
Really? I would rather derive an equation, or discover something new, and then put it to work, or possibly do research. That's not what I usually imagine engineers doing, but I could be wrong though. So you still think I should go engineer?

guss said:
Really? I would rather derive an equation, or discover something new, and then put it to work, or possibly do research. That's not what I usually imagine engineers doing, but I could be wrong though. So you still think I should go engineer?

If you only want to get a job afters bachelors than do engineering, if you want to go on to graduate school applied physics is a good mix of theory and application.

Related to Applied Physics & Math: Achieving Research Goals w/out Teaching

1. What is applied physics and math?

Applied physics and math is a branch of science that uses mathematical and computational tools to study and solve real-world problems in various fields, such as engineering, technology, and physics.

2. What types of research goals can be achieved through applied physics and math?

Applied physics and math can help achieve a wide range of research goals, from developing new technologies and materials to understanding complex phenomena in different systems. Some examples include designing efficient solar panels, optimizing transportation networks, and modeling climate change.

3. How is teaching not necessary in achieving research goals in applied physics and math?

Teaching is not a requirement for achieving research goals in applied physics and math. While teaching can certainly enhance one's understanding and knowledge in a particular field, it is not the only way to gain expertise. Research in this field requires a deep understanding of mathematical and computational methods, as well as a strong background in physics and other related disciplines.

4. What are some challenges in conducting research in applied physics and math?

One of the main challenges in conducting research in applied physics and math is the complexity of the problems being studied. This often requires interdisciplinary collaboration and the use of advanced mathematical and computational techniques. Additionally, obtaining funding and resources for research can also be a challenge.

5. How can the findings of research in applied physics and math be applied in the real world?

The findings of research in applied physics and math can be applied in the real world in various ways. For example, new technologies and materials can be developed that improve our daily lives, and models and simulations can be used to optimize systems and processes. Additionally, research in this field can also lead to a better understanding of natural phenomena, which can inform public policy and decision-making.