AP question: Integral of 9 / (1 +9t^2)

In summary, we discussed a purported AP question about evaluating an integral. We determined that the integral can be solved using a substitution technique, specifically the tangent function. We also provided a brief tutorial on how to use $\LaTeX$ to write mathematical expressions. Finally, we explained a general pattern for integrals involving a constant in the numerator and the sum of two squares in the denominator, and how to solve them using a substitution.
grapez
A purported AP questions asks to evaluate the following integral:

Integral of (9)/ (1 +9t^2) as 0 < t < 1/3. I understand that we need to use some sort of substitution techniques to solve. But I was hoping to get a specific explanation of what technique to use? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, grapez! :D

We are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^{\frac{1}{3}}\frac{9}{1+9t^2}\,dt\)

Any time you see the sum of two squares in the denominator, and a constant in the numerator, think of using the tangent function. What we want to do is let:

\(\displaystyle \tan(\theta)=3t\,\therefore\,\sec^2(\theta)\,d\theta=3\,dt\)

And our integral becomes (we then use $\theta=\arctan(3t)$ to change the limits according to our substitution):

\(\displaystyle I=3\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\frac{\sec^2(\theta)}{1+\tan^2(\theta)}\,d\theta\)

Observing that we may use the Pythagorean identity \(\displaystyle 1+\tan^2(\theta)=\sec^2(\theta)\) to simplify our integrand, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=3\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\,d\theta=\frac{3\pi}{4}\)

MarkFL said:
Hello and welcome to MHB, grapez! :D

We are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^{\frac{1}{3}}\frac{9}{1+9t^2}\,dt\)

Any time you see the sum of two squares in the denominator, and a constant in the numerator, think of using the tangent function. What we want to do is let:

\(\displaystyle \tan(\theta)=3t\,\therefore\,\sec^2(\theta)\,d\theta=3\,dt\)

And our integral becomes (we then use $\theta=\arctan(3t)$ to change the limits according to our substitution):

\(\displaystyle I=3\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\frac{\sec^2(\theta)}{1+\tan^2(\theta)}\,d\theta\)

Observing that we may use the Pythagorean identity \(\displaystyle 1+\tan^2(\theta)=\sec^2(\theta)\) to simplify our integrand, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=3\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\,d\theta=\frac{3\pi}{4}\)

Thanks for all the help. A couple of questions:

a. How did you factor out the 9 in the denominator? I see you brought a 3 out of the integral, but it is not clear to me how that cancels out the 9?

b. A more general question about writing in the forum - how does one code the various operations (integrands, fractions, etc)? The forum has a unique coding language that allows one to type such functions?

grapez said:
a. How did you factor out the 9 in the denominator? I see you brought a 3 out of the integral, but it is not clear to me how that cancels out the 9?

The original integral may be written as:

\(\displaystyle I=3\int_0^{\frac{1}{3}}\frac{3}{1+(3t)^2}\,dt\)

Now it is more clear how the substitution I suggested works. :)

grapez said:
b. A more general question about writing in the forum - how does one code the various operations (integrands, fractions, etc)? The forum has a unique coding language that allows one to type such functions?

We use $\LaTeX$, which is a standard markup language for mathematics. We have a tutorial here on how to get started with it, and there are many tutorials online.

We have some custom tools available here to aid you in the construction of such markup. To the right of the editor, you will find a Quick $\LaTeX$ tool which you can use to generate specific symbols and commands, and then below the editor you will find our $\LaTeX$ Live Preview that will allow you to quickly preview your expressions before copying them to your post.

MarkFL said:
The original integral may be written as:

\(\displaystyle I=3\int_0^{\frac{1}{3}}\frac{3}{1+(3t)^2}\,dt\)

Now it is more clear how the substitution I suggested works. :)
We use $\LaTeX$, which is a standard markup language for mathematics. We have a tutorial here on how to get started with it, and there are many tutorials online.

We have some custom tools available here to aid you in the construction of such markup. To the right of the editor, you will find a Quick $\LaTeX$ tool which you can use to generate specific symbols and commands, and then below the editor you will find our $\LaTeX$ Live Preview that will allow you to quickly preview your expressions before copying them to your post.
Great, I think I see it now. So is this a common pattern/question that comes up (a constant as a numerator and the sum of two squares in the denominator)? I am wondering if this is something that comes up often in an AP calculus test, where I should notice the trig identity 1 + tan^2(x) = sec^2(x) to cancel out in the integral?

Also, regarding Latex, is this a coding tool that is often often in academia? Is it worthwhile that I invest time in learning the tool to type out texts in my future studies?

grapez said:
Great, I think I see it now. So is this a common pattern/question that comes up (a constant as a numerator and the sum of two squares in the denominator)? I am wondering if this is something that comes up often in an AP calculus test, where I should notice the trig identity 1 + tan^2(x) = sec^2(x) to cancel out in the integral?

Let's look at the general indefinite integral:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{a}{b+cx^2}\,dx\)

We can rewrite this as:

\(\displaystyle \frac{a}{b}\int\frac{1}{1+\left(\sqrt{\dfrac{c}{b}}x\right)^2}\,dx\)

Now we have the sum of two squares in the denominator of the integrand, and the numerator is a constant.

So, we see we should use the substitution:

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{\frac{c}{b}}x=\tan(\theta)\,\therefore\,dx=\sqrt{\frac{b}{c}}\sec^2(\theta)\,d\theta\)

And so now we have (after making the substitution and applying the Pythagorean identity):

\(\displaystyle \frac{a}{\sqrt{bc}}\int\,d\theta=\frac{a}{\sqrt{bc}}\theta+C=\frac{a}{\sqrt{bc}}\arctan\left(\sqrt{\frac{c}{b}}x\right)+C\)

dave dx said:
Also, regarding Latex, is this a coding tool that is often often in academia? Is it worthwhile that I invest time in learning the tool to type out texts in my future studies?

Yes, $\LaTeX$ is very useful to know, and is a great way to create documents with pretty mathematics. :)

Related to AP question: Integral of 9 / (1 +9t^2)

1. What is the integral of 9 / (1 +9t^2)?

The integral of 9 / (1 +9t^2) is equal to arctan(3t) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve the integral of 9 / (1 +9t^2)?

To solve the integral of 9 / (1 +9t^2), you can use the substitution method by letting u = 1 + 9t^2. This will lead to the integral of 9 / u, which can be solved using the natural logarithm function.

3. Is there a shortcut or trick to solve this integral?

Yes, there is a shortcut or trick to solve the integral of 9 / (1 +9t^2). You can use the trigonometric substitution method by letting u = 3t and using the identity 1 + tan^2(x) = sec^2(x) to simplify the integral.

4. Are there any special cases or exceptions when solving this integral?

There are no special cases or exceptions when solving the integral of 9 / (1 +9t^2). However, it is important to note that the constant of integration, C, can vary depending on the limits of integration or the specific problem being solved.

5. What real-life applications can the integral of 9 / (1 +9t^2) be used for?

The integral of 9 / (1 +9t^2) has various real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It can be used to calculate the area under a curve, solve differential equations, and analyze data in motion and vibration studies.