Anyone applied for summer 2014 internships/fellowships yet?

In summary: I'm really hoping to hear something by the end of March!Very excited for this summer! Lots of awesome programs out there.When do we usually find out about our acceptance into an REU? For most, the deadline is tomorrow.The deadline for results, or to apply?The deadline to apply has passed for most. Many of mine were due ~Feb 14th. From what I've seen on websites, it sounds like most offers will be made beginning late February, but some could still come out as late as April.You guys, I made a big oops. I thought I applied for University of Michigan's REU (a great one), but I applied to Michigan State University's instead. Much sad.Well if
Dishsoap
If so, please post what you applied for and be sure to let us know when you hear back! I have been lurking on the recent threads like this for 2012 and 2013, and want to better understand what my chances are for this upcoming summer. I applied for the following things:

5 projects through NASA's OSSI
UC- Boulder REU
Louisiana State REU
University of Michigan REU
and the SULI program, FermiLab and Los Alamos.

Please please please, feel free to give me advice and share your own experience!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you applied for some good ones! I applied to 3

- CU Boulder physics REU
- Stanford geophysics REU (SURGE)
- UNAVCO Geophysics REU (RESESS)

Fingers crossed

Best of luck to you - I'm not sure where geophysics stands in relation to general physics, but we might meet up if we both end up at UC boulder

So far I've applied to:

-Space Summer Internship/Co-Op 2014
-Student Engineering Intern Summer 2014 @ Boeing
-Spacecraft Products Intern Summer 2014 @ Boeing

and still contemplating applying for a couple of NASA's OSSI opportunities. Best of luck to you both!

So far I've applied to:

-Rutgers Physics
-UConn Energy Processes
-Vanderbilt VINSE
-MIT MRSEC

and am planning to submit some more apps over the next couple of weeks.

Michigan is a wonderful REU. The professors running the program are great, there are great talks and other seminars/activities (like visiting the natural history museum) and Ann Arbor is very nice is the summer. The pay is very nice as is the housing (except we did not have an easily accessible kitchen which I think since we all told them they may try to fix it this year). For me in particular, my project and advisor were wonderful and we are finishing a paper from the summer currently. The faculty overall are top notch (Michigan is ranked 11th) and they are doing awesome things with cosmology and at CERN among other areas.

Additionally, from my observation, students who do great work during the summer will have an incredibly strong chance of getting into grad school there.

I would encourage everyone thinking about REUs to apply.

I applied to 6 REUs and one internship.

- UMichigan CERN REU - Not accepted
- Rice NanoJapan International REU
- UC Davis REU
- Old Dominion/JLab REU
- Rice Quantum Institute REU
- Idaho State REU - Passed "preliminary" selection

I also applied to an internship position with Lockheed Martin. Have not heard back.

Very excited for this summer! Lots of awesome programs out there.

When do we usually find out about our acceptance into an REU? For most, the deadline is tomorrow.

The deadline for results, or to apply?

The deadline to apply has passed for most. Many of mine were due ~Feb 14th. From what I've seen on websites, it sounds like most offers will be made beginning late February, but some could still come out as late as April.

You guys, I made a big oops. I thought I applied for University of Michigan's REU (a great one), but I applied to Michigan State University's instead. Much sad.

Well if you read their website in order to fill the app, which you presumably did, I wouldn't worry too much. If you liked what you saw about the program it doesn't really matter what school you do it at, right? The program should be exactly as it was described. I guess location/campus will change, but they're both fine departments.

Summer 2014 Math and Science REU Thread

Hello all,

It didn't look like anyone had started a new thread for 2014 REUs so I thought I'd get one going. The purpose of this thread is to share what REUs you have applied to and which ones have sent you letters of acceptance/rejection so others can know when to expect to hear a decision themselves. Additionally, you may find others who end up in the same REU as you and finding friends early is never a bad thing :)

I'm a Materials Science major with a chem emphasis (no engineering component), so far applied to
University of Florida International REU (Jan 15th deadline) - haven't heard back
University of Oregon MSCI REU (Feb 15th deadline) - Accepted Feb 18th

Started a similar thread a few weeks ago: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=735636

But that's okay. I applied to
9 NASA internships (through the OSSI system)
REU at Michigan State University
REU at Louisiana State University
REU at University of Colorado - Boulder
and SULI at Fermi lab and Los Alamos.

Not heard back yet from anywhere.

Threads merged. :smile:

Likes 1 person
I have applied to 11 math REUs for the summer. I plan on applying to a few more. Most of my deadlines are the 28th or March 1st. Anyone else applying for math REUs? I'm afraid that I won't get into any - I come from a liberal arts college and I really want to experience research before deciding about graduate school. My top choice is either Hawaii PURE or Grand Valley State REU.

I got accepted to the SULI program at Fermi Lab for HEP - my first choice! Now I just have to pretend that I'm remotely qualified :-p

Last edited:
Congrats! It must feel wonderful to have gotten into such a top-notch program!

Applied to:
UC Boulder REU
Rice Quantum Institute REU
RISE Germany-Us exchange program
Rochester REU
William and Mary REU
Univ of Washington REU

Haven't heard back from anyone yet

Has anyone heard from CSU San Bernardino? The application was due on the 12th.

University of Florida got back to me today, will be spending the summer doing nano-research in France!

Just submitted 4 more apps:

-Harvard MRSEC/SEAS
-University of Michigan
-Penn State Materials Science
-Duke/NC State Triangle MRSEC

Fingers crossed!

Anon0123 said:
University of Florida got back to me today, will be spending the summer doing nano-research in France!

Lucky duck!

Got an email from the maria mitchell observatory saying I wasn't on their shortlist of people to contact for phone interviews. 230 applicants for 6 spots :(

Penn State Physics and interdisciplinary materials REU has sent out first offers.

Got an offer to go to Los Alamos! Thought I'd comment because I saw a couple of others on this thread who had applied to this lab. It has to do with nuclear magnetic resonance methods - anyone here vaguely familiar with this stuff?

Finished applying to all of my REUs just now. PHEW! I have two more on the list, but I really need to get back to school work at this point. I applied to 20 math REUs. Hoping to get into at least one. Should start hearing back next week. Eek!

Rutger's physics program has also sent out offers.

Does physics come out earlier than math?

Have people gotten replies from other astronomy programs? I've heard from harvard, and nrao as well (negative, alternate respectively). I applied to quite a few others and haven't heard anything yet

astro_2275 said:
Have people gotten replies from other astronomy programs? I've heard from harvard, and nrao as well (negative, alternate respectively). I applied to quite a few others and haven't heard anything yet

I've heard from ASTRON, Harvard, NRAO, but nothing else.

forestmine said:
I've heard from ASTRON, Harvard, NRAO, but nothing else.

what did you hear from ASTRON? I applied there as well

astro_2275 said:
what did you hear from ASTRON? I applied there as well

They did wind up offering me a position.

forestmine said:
They did wind up offering me a position.

congrats! guess that means I didn't get one though :(

astro_2275 said:
congrats! guess that means I didn't get one though :(

Thank you. You never know, though! Hang in there!