Any Help for a Highschooler just getting into Science?

In summary, there are various resources available for high school students who are just beginning to explore the field of science. These can include science clubs, summer programs, online resources, and mentorship opportunities. Additionally, seeking help from teachers, peers, and professionals in the field can also provide valuable support and guidance. It is important for high schoolers to take advantage of these resources and actively engage in hands-on experiences to develop a strong foundation in science.
Discordia
So I've always been fairly good at whatever science I learned in elementary and middleschool (which was mostly biology), and I've fairly enjoyed it, but I've only recently started really learning, and I've come to love it. I've especially found quantum physics interesting, however, seeing as I just got past freshman year (and thus only have math knowledge up to pre-algebra) i find many parts involving math difficult to follow. School's out for the summer, and I was hoping someone had some resources to beginners quantum mechanics or perhaps a good place to learn algebra 1.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, i can answer this myself. There are lots of places on this website alone, not to mention most things are a google search away. Sorry for the dumb question.

Try to take summer classes in community college that's what I am doing.

Im also very interested in Qm and I am taking trigonometry and suggest you to take algebra 1 in a community college you will not regret, just do well in the class.

You can begin learning through the OpenCourseWare from MIT. The last time I checked out their videos on quantum mechanics it was really fun. And they mention the prerequisites for the course on the webpage so you can go back to clear your basics if you feel stuck. Also, I heard that Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers by David Miller is a good and readable book on the topic. It contains the basic background maths required in the appendices which you can find on the back of the book. Good Luck!

Every thing is there it's just whether you have commitment, but make sure you get ahead in math because math is very very important.

QM demands much of math. The following QM video-course by David Miller https://lagunita.stanford.edu/courses/Engineering/QMSE01./Autumn2015/about
(which I personally much value) contains 10 very brief background mathematics review lessons which I can define as a very minimalistic set of prerequirements for QM studying. You may want to pass through them to see what you need to know, but I cannot promise that this will be sufficient. In fact it rather looks for me as 20-30% of what one needs to learn and understand in math in order to study QM.
One option might be to start with this course and then to see if you need anything more through it (the course is rather self-contained and well adapted for beginners), but I cannot say whether it is a good or bad idea to learn math&QM this way. It may work for you very well, or you may spoil your math/physics education.

Last edited:

Related to Any Help for a Highschooler just getting into Science?

1. What are some tips for a high schooler just getting into science?

First, develop a strong foundation in math and science courses. This will help you understand the fundamental concepts in science. Second, don't be afraid to ask questions and seek help from teachers or mentors. Third, participate in science-related activities such as science fairs or clubs to gain hands-on experience. Finally, stay curious and open-minded, and never stop learning!

2. What are some resources for a high schooler interested in science?

There are many resources available for high schoolers interested in science. Some options include science textbooks, online resources such as Khan Academy or Crash Course, science magazines or journals, and science-related podcasts or documentaries. Additionally, many universities and research institutions offer summer programs or internships for high school students interested in science.

3. How can a high schooler get involved in research or experiments?

One way to get involved in research or experiments is to reach out to professors or researchers at local universities or research institutions. You can also participate in science fairs or clubs, which often involve conducting experiments or research projects. Additionally, many science-related extracurricular activities or summer programs offer opportunities to conduct research or experiments.

4. What are some common misconceptions about science?

One common misconception is that science is a fixed, unchanging body of knowledge. In reality, science is a constantly evolving process of discovery and refinement. Another misconception is that science is only for "geniuses" or those with a natural talent for it. In truth, anyone can learn and excel in science with hard work and dedication. Finally, many people believe that science is only about memorizing facts, when in fact it involves critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity.

5. What career options are available for someone interested in science?

There are countless career options available for someone interested in science. Some common fields include biology, chemistry, physics, environmental science, and computer science. Within these fields, there are various career paths such as research, teaching, healthcare, engineering, and more. Additionally, many industries, such as technology, agriculture, and pharmaceuticals, also require individuals with a strong background in science.