ANSYS Static Structural boundary constraints issues

In summary, the user is trying to model a piece of pipe being clamped by two blocks. The blocks have a profile on them that grip the pipe. The pipe is clamped by equal and opposite forces being applied on each block. Under connections->contacts, the user has frictionless contacts between the face of the pipe (target) and the profile of the gripping blocks (contact). As for meshing, the user is currently just doing a very coarse test to see if the analysis works. The user has forces applied onto the blocks as well as frictionless supports for where they cut it in half (due to symmetry). The user's problem is that when they solve for it, the blocks vanish as if its not there. The
MechE88
Hey all,

First off, I'd like to mention that I am completely unfamiliar with this ANSYS and have been fighting with this program for last 2 and half weeks. Any feedback and help is greatly appreciated! Please refer to the photos attached for referral.

My project currently involves analyzing the stresses and deformation occurring on the gripping blocks as well as the piece of pipe. Basically what I'm trying to model is a piece of pipe being clamped by two blocks. The blocks have a profile on them that grip the pipe. The pipe is clamped by equal and opposite forces being applied on each block.

Under connections->contacts, I have frictionless contacts between the face of the pipe (target) and the profile of the gripping blocks (contact).

As for meshing, I'm currently just doing a very coarse test to see if the analysis works. I'm not sure if this is a good method but to save time I am doing this method for now.

I have forces applied onto the blocks as well as frictionless supports for where I cut it in half (due to symmetry)My problem is that when I solve for it, the blocks vanish as if its not there. I hope this is a simple fix and I'm just missing something very simple.I apologize if I missed out on a lot of crucial information. Please feel free to ask anything I may have missed out on that would aid in my situation and I will respond ASAP.

Attachments

• Body1.JPG
    Body1.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 697
  • body2.JPG
    body2.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 707
  • sidebar1.JPG
    sidebar1.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
MechE88 said:
Hey all,

First off, I'd like to mention that I am completely unfamiliar with this ANSYS and have been fighting with this program for last 2 and half weeks. Any feedback and help is greatly appreciated! Please refer to the photos attached for referral.

My project currently involves analyzing the stresses and deformation occurring on the gripping blocks as well as the piece of pipe. Basically what I'm trying to model is a piece of pipe being clamped by two blocks. The blocks have a profile on them that grip the pipe. The pipe is clamped by equal and opposite forces being applied on each block.

Under connections->contacts, I have frictionless contacts between the face of the pipe (target) and the profile of the gripping blocks (contact).

As for meshing, I'm currently just doing a very coarse test to see if the analysis works. I'm not sure if this is a good method but to save time I am doing this method for now.

I have forces applied onto the blocks as well as frictionless supports for where I cut it in half (due to symmetry)

My problem is that when I solve for it, the blocks vanish as if its not there. I hope this is a simple fix and I'm just missing something very simple.

I apologize if I missed out on a lot of crucial information. Please feel free to ask anything I may have missed out on that would aid in my situation and I will respond ASAP.

If the mesh for the contact interface is course then Ansys might not recognise the components and hence will fly off into space.
Also if the contact is initially closed but there is a large gap between the mating components then the components will pass through each other. Check your contact settings.
SO consider refining the mesh

If your model is geometrically "perfect" and the contacts are all frictionless, then the pipe can slide out of the blocks and rotate about its axis inside the blocks. The two blocks can probably slide around relative to each other as well.

You need to apply some restraints to stop things like that from happening.

If you set up the model correctly, you will get no reaction forces at these additional restraints, so they won't affect the results.

You can use ideas about symmetry to choose the restraints. For example the plane cutting the length of the pipe into two halves will not move along the length of the pipe (by symmetry, there is no reason why it should move in one direction rather than in the opposite direction) and it won't rotate about the axis of the pipe.

Thank you Bugatti and AlephZero for your help. I will go ahead right now and solve for it using my full mesh count. I've refined it using size meshing on the blocks profile as well as the face of the pipe. Element size is at 0.0155 inch.

As for the restraints you suggested Aleph, I'm not entierly sure what else I can do. I've played around with the settings and all that for more than a week no to no avail. Will keep trying different things though!

Related to ANSYS Static Structural boundary constraints issues

Question 1: What is ANSYS Static Structural?

ANSYS Static Structural is a software tool used for structural analysis and simulation. It is commonly used in engineering and scientific fields to study the behavior of structures under various loads and boundary conditions.

Question 2: What are boundary constraints in ANSYS Static Structural?

Boundary constraints in ANSYS Static Structural refer to the restrictions placed on the movement or deformation of a structure during analysis. These constraints can include fixed supports, sliding supports, and rotational supports, among others.

Question 3: What are some common issues with boundary constraints in ANSYS Static Structural?

Some common issues with boundary constraints in ANSYS Static Structural include incorrect selection or application of constraints, convergence problems, and unrealistic boundary conditions that can lead to inaccurate results.

Question 4: How can I troubleshoot boundary constraint issues in ANSYS Static Structural?

To troubleshoot boundary constraint issues in ANSYS Static Structural, it is important to carefully review the selected constraints and their application. It can also be helpful to adjust the mesh density and convergence criteria, and to check for any unrealistic boundary conditions.

Question 5: How can I ensure accurate results when using boundary constraints in ANSYS Static Structural?

To ensure accurate results when using boundary constraints in ANSYS Static Structural, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the structural behavior and to carefully select and apply appropriate constraints. It is also recommended to perform sensitivity analyses and compare results to physical testing for validation.