Boundary conditions in Ansys

In summary, the conversation discusses the boundary conditions that should be applied in a Static Structural simulation for a support subjected to various loading conditions. It is recommended to add simplified models of the bolts for higher accuracy, but the bolts do not need to be included in the simulation. Instead, constraints should be generated based on the displacement and rotation components of the support.
clab
Hi, I have one question related to the boundary conditions I should apply in a Static Structural simulation for the following support.
1638649295866.png

The support is subjected to the following loading conditions shown below.

1638649399115.png

• Interface 1: 0.75 inch diameter pin. The pin is to be considered infinitely stiff.
  • Interfaces 2 – 5: 0.375-24 AS3239-26 machine bolt. Nut face 0.405 in. max ID and 0.558 in. min OD. The bolts are to be considered infinitely stiff.
  • Load Conditions:
  • 1. Max static linear load of 8,000 lbs vertical up.
  • 2. Max static linear load of 8,500 lbs horizontal out.
  • 3. Max static linear load of 9,500 lbs 42 degrees from vertical.
  • 4. Max static torsional load of 5,000 lb-in horizontal at intersection of centerline of pin and midpoint between clevis arms.

When performing the support edge condition by applying the remote displacement, I must consider the constraints generated by the bolts on both displacement and rotation. Which displacement and rotation components should be free or fixed? (as shown in the last screenshot).
OA2Y4TSVO2C6.png

O93EUHW0FS0F.png

I am considering that the screw only makes contact/pressure with the bracket on the face of the countersunk hole. as shown in the following image.

DX58KTFB7ISF.jpg

Likes berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
It would be best to add simplified models of the bolts for higher accuracy. You don’t even have to use solid representation, beam elements with rigid links may suffice. There is an interesting book published last year that discusses bolt modeling in detail, among other topics: "Practical Finite Element Analysis for Mechanical Engineers" by D. Madier.

I have modeled similar parts by specifying a force equal to bolt preload force on the area contacted by the bolt head, and a distributed spring under the base. The spring constant needs to be quite stiff, on the order of 1,000,000 to 10,000,000 lbs/inch/inch^2. The spring constant can be limited to a region around each bolt of about twice the bolt head diameter. That simulates the bolt preload force, while allowing the part to deform similar to the real part bolted to a solid surface, and avoiding modelling contact.

Thanks for your answer, but for the simulation I am not considering the bolt, I am only considering the support in question, my question is which are the displacement and rotation components should be fixed or free to define the boundary conditions of the system.

Related to Boundary conditions in Ansys

What are boundary conditions in Ansys?

Boundary conditions in Ansys refer to the constraints or limitations that are applied to a model in order to simulate real-world conditions. These conditions can include forces, displacements, temperatures, and other physical parameters that are necessary for the analysis.

Why are boundary conditions important in Ansys?

Boundary conditions are important in Ansys because they define the behavior of a model under specific conditions. Without proper boundary conditions, the results of an analysis may not accurately represent the real-world behavior of the system being studied.

What types of boundary conditions can be applied in Ansys?

There are several types of boundary conditions that can be applied in Ansys, including fixed support, displacement, pressure, temperature, and symmetry. These conditions can be applied to specific surfaces, nodes, or elements of a model.

How do I know which boundary conditions to apply in Ansys?

The type of boundary conditions to apply in Ansys will depend on the specific problem being analyzed. It is important to carefully consider the physical behavior of the system and determine which conditions are necessary to accurately simulate the real-world scenario.

Can boundary conditions be changed or modified in Ansys?

Yes, boundary conditions can be changed or modified in Ansys. This can be done by editing the properties of the boundary condition or by adding or deleting conditions. It is important to carefully review and verify any changes made to ensure the accuracy of the analysis results.