Static structural analysis on a solid sphere?

In summary, applying constraints to the center of a sphere in ansys worksbench can be done if the load is symmetrical with respect to a plane that passes through the center point.
Mitra Lanka
Could you perform Static structural analysis on this solid sphere? No contacts to be used.
I do not have any specific boundary conditions(unable to apply constraints to a complete solid spherical body)
All i know is the pressure that needs to be applied.

You could consider a smiley ball on which pressure is applied.
I do not know how to apply constraints

I am using Ansys workbench. Please let me know how to proceed further

Engineering news on Phys.org
When there are no constraints applied, the global stiffness matrix becomes singular, so no solution can be obtained.
If you know for sure that your solid sphere is in equilibrium and if you believe that the loads' distribution is such that the geometrical center point of the sphere remains unmoved, apply constraints in all three directions to the node corresponding to the center point and, possibly, to a couple of neighboring nodes. That would make the global stiffness matrix non-singular.

Likes Mitra Lanka
Thanks for responding!
As the solid sphere is axi-symmetrical in x,y,z axes. Can i perform stress analysis on the symmetrical part of sphere?
This is just to view and constrain nodes near the center point.

Is this the right way of approach?.

If it is not the right approach,
then how do we constrain the center of a complete solid sphere in ansys workbench. Is there an option to do it?

Last edited:
Аs long as the load is symmetrical with respect to some plane passing through the center point, you can work with just a half of the sphere. In that case, the center point will be exposed. However, there is also a very important thing to do: each of the nodes that belong to that plane of symmetry must have a constraint applied such that it would completely restrict translations of those nodes in the direction perpendicular to that plane of symmetry.

Likes Mitra Lanka
Thank you for the response. :) . It worked for me.

I am glad to hear that. Good luck !

Likes Mitra Lanka

Related to Static structural analysis on a solid sphere?

1. What is static structural analysis on a solid sphere?

Static structural analysis on a solid sphere is a method used to study the behavior and stability of a solid sphere when subjected to external forces. It involves analyzing the stresses and strains within the sphere to determine its strength and potential failure points.

2. What factors affect the results of a static structural analysis on a solid sphere?

The results of a static structural analysis on a solid sphere can be affected by factors such as material properties, loading conditions, and geometric constraints. These factors can influence the distribution of stresses and strains within the sphere, ultimately impacting its overall stability.

3. How is a static structural analysis on a solid sphere performed?

Static structural analysis on a solid sphere is typically performed using computer software, such as finite element analysis (FEA) programs. The sphere is divided into smaller elements, and the equations of equilibrium and compatibility are applied to each element to determine the stresses and strains throughout the sphere.

4. What are the applications of static structural analysis on a solid sphere?

Static structural analysis on a solid sphere is commonly used in engineering and design to ensure the strength and stability of spherical components, such as bearings, pressure vessels, and tanks. It can also be used to study the behavior of planets and other celestial bodies.

5. Are there limitations to static structural analysis on a solid sphere?

Yes, there are some limitations to static structural analysis on a solid sphere. It assumes that the material is linearly elastic and that the loading conditions are known and static. It also does not take into account factors such as dynamic forces, temperature changes, or material degradation over time. These limitations should be considered when interpreting the results of a static structural analysis.