Nonlinear contact convergence problem in ANSYS Workbench?

In summary, the conversation discusses a simulation being done using the static structural module of ANSYS workbench. The simulation involves a gear and a spring in frictional contact, with the spring pushing the gear counterclockwise. However, there is a problem with convergence when the spring passes the top of a gear tooth. The speaker has tried adjusting various parameters of the contact, but the problem persists. They are seeking advice on how to resolve this issue.
tl_ccc
I am using the static structural module of ANSYS workbench to do a simulation. In my model, there is a gear and a spring which presses against the gear, moves along it and pushes it to turn counterclockwise. These two objects are in frictional contact. In my calculation, I always have the problem of convergence at the moment when the spring pass the top of a gear tooth. I tried to adjust different parameters of the contact: normal stiffness factor (0.01,0.1,1), stabilization damping factor (0,0.1,1), detection method and time step controls. (I set to update stiffness aggressively after each Iteration). The problem is always there. Do you have any ideas how I can have my calculation converged? Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is the Image.

Attachments

• image (1).png
    image (1).png
    16 KB · Views: 674

Related to Nonlinear contact convergence problem in ANSYS Workbench?

What is a nonlinear contact convergence problem in ANSYS Workbench?

A nonlinear contact convergence problem in ANSYS Workbench refers to a situation where the contact between two or more components in a finite element analysis (FEA) model does not converge to a stable solution. This can happen when the contact behavior between the components is highly nonlinear, leading to difficulties in finding a solution that satisfies all the contact constraints.

What causes a nonlinear contact convergence problem?

A nonlinear contact convergence problem can be caused by various factors, such as incorrect contact definition, excessive deformation or penetration between the components, inadequate mesh refinement, or improper material properties. It can also be a result of complex contact behaviors, such as friction, large sliding, or multiple contact interfaces.

How can a nonlinear contact convergence problem be solved in ANSYS Workbench?

To solve a nonlinear contact convergence problem in ANSYS Workbench, it is important to first identify the root cause. This can be done by carefully reviewing the contact definition and making sure it is accurate and appropriate for the simulation. Other possible solutions include adjusting the mesh refinement, selecting appropriate contact and material settings, and using advanced contact features such as surface-to-surface contact or adjusting the contact stiffness.

What are some best practices for avoiding a nonlinear contact convergence problem in ANSYS Workbench?

To avoid a nonlinear contact convergence problem in ANSYS Workbench, it is important to follow best practices in FEA modeling, such as using appropriate element types and sizes, ensuring proper contact definition, and validating the model with experimental data. It is also recommended to perform sensitivity analyses and convergence studies to ensure the results are reliable and accurate.

Are there any resources available for further understanding of nonlinear contact convergence problems in ANSYS Workbench?

Yes, there are various resources available for further understanding of nonlinear contact convergence problems in ANSYS Workbench. These include ANSYS user guides, online tutorials, and forums where users can discuss and share their experiences and solutions. ANSYS also offers training courses and webinars on advanced topics, such as nonlinear contact analysis, that can help users gain a better understanding of these types of problems.