Katie's question at Yahoo Answers: trigonometric equation

In summary: I am sure Katie will understand that there are two solutions for the equation, as she posted in the original topic.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Follow the steps:

[tex]\dfrac{1+\sin x}{\cos x}+\dfrac{\cos x}{1+\sin x}=4\\
\dfrac{1+\sin^2x+2\sin x+\cos^2x}{\cos x(1+\sin x)}=4\\
1+\sin^2x+2\sin x+\cos^2x=4\cos x+4\sin x\cos x[/tex]

Using [tex]\cos^2x=1-\sin^2x[/tex] and simplifying

[tex]2(1+\sin x)=4(1+\sin x)\sqrt{1-\sin^2x}[/tex]

But [tex]1+\sin x\neq 0[/tex] (because appears in a denominator of the initial equation), so

[tex]\sqrt{1-\sin^2x}=\frac{1}{2}[/tex].

Taking squares we get [tex]\sin x=\pm\sqrt{3}/2[/tex]. As [tex]0<x<2\pi[/tex], we get (Edited: the following is wrong, look at the next post) [tex]x=\dfrac{\pi}{3},\;x=\dfrac{4\pi}{3}[/tex]

Last edited:
I get a different result:

We are given:

$\displaystyle \frac{1+\sin(x)}{\cos(x)}+\frac{\cos(x)}{1+\sin(x)}=4$ where $\displaystyle 0<x<2\pi$

Multiply through by $\displaystyle (1+\sin(x))\cos(x)$:

$\displaystyle (1+\sin(x))^2+\cos^2(x)=4(1+\sin(x))\cos(x)$

$\displaystyle 1+2\sin(x)+\sin^2(x)+\cos^2(x)=4(1+\sin(x))\cos(x)$

Using the Pythagorean identity $\displaystyle \sin^2(x)+\cos^2(x)=1$, we have:

$\displaystyle 2+2\sin(x)=4(1+\sin(x))\cos(x)$

$\displaystyle 2(1+\sin(x))=4(1+\sin(x))\cos(x)$

Since we have $\displaystyle 1+\sin(x)\ne0$, this reduces to:

$\displaystyle 2=4\cos(x)$

$\displaystyle \cos(x)=\frac{1}{2}$ and so:

$\displaystyle x=\frac{\pi}{3},\,\frac{5\pi}{3}$

MarkFL said:
$\displaystyle \cos(x)=\frac{1}{2}$ and so: $\displaystyle x=\frac{\pi}{3},\,\frac{5\pi}{3}$

You are right. My silly mistake: $2\pi -\frac{\pi}{3}=\frac{4\pi}{3}$ (?). Why?. I need a mathematical psychiatrist. Besides, is better to write $\cos x$ as you did instead of $\sqrt{1-\sin^2x}$, so we avoid to analyze the double sign of the root.

Last edited:
Hey, I feel somewhat guilty as Katie awarded me 10 points for posting the link to your reply...If I could transfer them to your account I would! (Smile)

MarkFL said:
Hey, I feel somewhat guilty as Katie awarded me 10 points for posting the link to your reply...If I could transfer them to your account I would! (Smile)

No wonder. According to my solution surely Katie awarded me -10 points. :)

Related to Katie's question at Yahoo Answers: trigonometric equation

1. How do I solve a trigonometric equation?

Trigonometric equations involve the use of trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. To solve these equations, you must use algebraic techniques such as factoring, substitution, or the quadratic formula.

2. What is the purpose of solving a trigonometric equation?

Solving a trigonometric equation allows you to find the values of unknown angles or sides in a triangle. This is useful in many real-life situations such as navigation, engineering, and surveying.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a trigonometric equation?

Yes, most calculators have built-in functions for solving trigonometric equations. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving these equations by hand before relying on a calculator.

4. Are there any special rules or formulas for solving trigonometric equations?

Yes, there are several trigonometric identities and formulas that can be used to simplify and solve trigonometric equations. These include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

5. Can I use trigonometric equations in real-life situations?

Yes, trigonometric equations are commonly used in real-life situations, especially in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They can be used to solve problems involving angles, distances, and heights.