?'s question at Yahoo Answers regarding Laplace Transforms

In summary, to find the Laplace Transform of $f(t)=\sin(3t)\cos(3t)$, we use the trig identity $\sin(3t)\cos(3t)=\frac{1}{2}\sin(6t)$ and then apply the Laplace Transform formulas for $\sin(6t)$ and $\cos(6t)$. This gives us a final answer of $\frac{3}{s^2+36}$. We can also use first principles to derive the Laplace Transform of $\sin(6t)$ and then apply it to $f(t)$ to get the same result.
Chris L T521
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question.

Can you show the steps of this differential equations problem? said:
Find laplace {f(t)} by first using a trigonometric identity. (Write your answer as a function of s.)f(t)= sin(3t)cos(3t)the final answer is:
3/(s^(2)+36)

Here is a link to the question:

Can you show the steps of this differential equations problem? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello ?,

We first use the trig identity $\sin(2\theta)=2\sin\theta\cos\theta$ to rewrite $\sin(3t)\cos(3t)$; in particular, we have that $\sin(3t)\cos(3t)=\frac{1}{2}\sin(2\cdot(3t)) =\frac{1}{2}\sin(6t)$.

Now, I'm not sure exactly what formulas you can use, but if you can use certain formulas for Laplace Transforms, then you're done since we know $\mathcal{L}\left\{\frac{1}{2}\sin(6t)\right\} =\frac{1}{2}\mathcal{L}\{\sin(6t)\} =\dfrac{1}{2}\cdot\dfrac{6}{s^2+6^2} =\dfrac{3}{s^2+36}$.

Otherwise, we need to compute the Laplace Transform by first principles; to make this easier for us, let us first compute $\mathcal{L}\{e^{at}\}$ where $a\in\mathbb{R}$.

\[\begin{aligned}\mathcal{L}\{e^{at}\} &= \int_0^{\infty}e^{-st}e^{at}\,dt\\ &= \int_0^{\infty}e^{-(s-a)t}\,dt\\ &= \lim_{b\to\infty} \left.\left[-\frac{e^{-(s-a)t}}{s-a}\right]\right|_{0}^{b}\\ &= \lim_{b\to\infty} -\frac{e^{-(s-a)b}}{s-a} + \frac{1}{s-a}\end{aligned}\]
Note that $\displaystyle\lim_{b\to\infty}-\frac{e^{-(s-a)b}}{s-a}=0$ if $s>a$. Thus, we have that $\mathcal{L}\{e^{at}\}=\dfrac{1}{s-a}$ for $s>a$.

Now, how does this help us with computing $\mathcal{L}\{\sin(6t)\}$? Well, we know from complex variables that $\sin(kx)=\dfrac{e^{ikx}-e^{-ikx}}{2i}$, so it follows that
\[\begin{aligned}\mathcal{L}\{\sin(6t)\} &= \frac{1}{2i}\left[\mathcal{L}\left\{e^{6it}\right\} - \mathcal{L}\left\{e^{-6it}\right\}\right] \\ &= \frac{1}{2i}\left[\frac{1}{s-6i} - \frac{1}{s+6i}\right]\\ &= \frac{1}{2i}\left[\frac{12i}{s^2-(6i)^2}\right] \\ &= \frac{6}{s^2+36}\end{aligned}\]
And thus $\mathcal{L}\{\sin(3t)\cos(3t)\} =\frac{1}{2}\mathcal{L}\{\sin(6t)\}=\dfrac{3}{s^2+36}$.

I hope this makes sense!

Related to ?'s question at Yahoo Answers regarding Laplace Transforms

1. What is a Laplace Transform and how does it work?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is denoted by the symbol ƒ(s) and is defined as the integral of the function multiplied by the exponential function e^-st, where s is a complex variable. This transformation allows for easier analysis of functions and systems in the frequency domain.

2. What are the applications of Laplace Transforms?

Laplace Transforms are widely used in engineering and science, specifically in the fields of control systems, signal processing, and differential equations. They are also used in physics and chemistry to solve problems related to wave propagation, resonance, and diffusion.

3. How do I perform a Laplace Transform?

To perform a Laplace Transform, you need to have a function defined in the time domain. Then, you can use Laplace Transform tables or software to find the corresponding function in the frequency domain. The integral can also be solved manually using integration techniques.

4. What is the inverse Laplace Transform?

The inverse Laplace Transform is the process of converting a function from the frequency domain back to the time domain. It is denoted by the symbol ƒ(t) and is defined as the integral of the function in the frequency domain multiplied by the exponential function e^st. It can also be solved using tables or software.

5. What are some common properties of Laplace Transforms?

Some common properties of Laplace Transforms include linearity, time shifting, differentiation, and integration. These properties can be used to simplify and solve problems involving Laplace Transforms. Additionally, the Laplace Transform of a convolution of two functions is equal to the product of their individual Laplace Transforms.