Analytical Geometry HW: 1.2.1, mPR & mRN Solutions

I got from the given information, but it may not be what was intended.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a given diagram and equations. The problem asks for the magnitude of vector R, which is not clearly defined. The participant has calculated the measure of angle PRQ and the slope of PR, but it is unclear if these are the correct solutions.
DERRAN

Homework Statement

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8680/68366634.gif

1.2.1 only!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

mPR=1/2
tan(1/2)=26.57

mRN= -1/5
ref angle=11.32

R=11.32+26.57
=37.88

is it correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
DERRAN said:

Homework Statement

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8680/68366634.gif

1.2.1 only!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

mPR=1/2
tan(1/2)=26.57

mRN= -1/5
ref angle=11.32

R=11.32+26.57
=37.88

is it correct?
I don't think so. The problem asks for [tex]\hat{R}[/tex]. The caret (or "hat") is usually interpreted to mean a unit vector, but that's probably not what is meant here, since the magnitude of any unit vector is 1. I think that what is asked for is the magnitude of the vector from O to R. You seem to have calculated the measure of angle PRQ. Since it's not clear to me what [tex]\hat{R}[/tex] is intended to represent, it's unclear to me what this problem is asking you to do.

Your calculation of the slope of PR is correct, but this isn't:
tan(1/2)=26.57
You can say that arctan(1/2) = 26.57 degrees, or that tan-1(1/2) = 26.57 degrees, where both are approximations.
That

Last edited by a moderator:

I cannot confirm the accuracy of your solution without further context. It would be helpful to know the specific problem being solved and the given information. Additionally, please provide the equations and steps used to arrive at your solution. This will allow for a more thorough evaluation of your work.

Related to Analytical Geometry HW: 1.2.1, mPR & mRN Solutions

1. What is Analytical Geometry?

Analytical Geometry is a branch of mathematics that combines algebra and geometry to study the properties of geometric figures using techniques such as coordinate systems, equations, and graphs.

2. What does "mPR" and "mRN" stand for?

"mPR" stands for the measure of angle PR, while "mRN" stands for the measure of angle RN. In analytical geometry, angles are often represented by three letters, with the middle letter representing the vertex of the angle.

3. What is the purpose of solving 1.2.1, mPR & mRN in Analytical Geometry?

Solving 1.2.1, mPR & mRN in Analytical Geometry helps us determine the measure of an angle in a figure. This information can then be used to analyze the properties of the figure and solve other related problems.

4. How do we find the measure of an angle using analytical geometry?

To find the measure of an angle using analytical geometry, we need to use the coordinates of the angle's vertex and two other points on the angle. We then use the distance formula and the slope formula to calculate the length of the sides and the slope of the lines that form the angle. Finally, we use trigonometric functions or inverse trigonometric functions to find the measure of the angle.

5. Can analytical geometry be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, analytical geometry has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, computer graphics, and navigation. It can be used to model and analyze real-world problems, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the shape of a curve in a roller coaster.