Find the electric field at the origin

In summary: Now let's summarize the conversation.In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field at the origin caused by two charged particles. Using the equations F = (kQq)/r^2 and E = (kQ)/r^2, the electric field for the first particle is determined to be going to the right, while the second particle's electric field is going away from the origin. There is no charge at the origin, so Q in the formula represents the charge producing the electric field, which is given for each of the two particles. After solving for the electric field, the answer matches with the book's answer.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

Given two charged particles:

1) 5x10^-9 C, (-.03 m, 0 m)
2) -20x10^-9 C (.04 m, .02 m)

find the electric field at the origin.

Homework Equations

F = (kQq)/r^2
E = (kQ)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know since 1)'s charge is plus, its field vector is

[itex] ( (8.99x10^{-9}) (Q) ) / (.03)^2 [/itex] i hat, meaning its going to the right

I use arctan to find the angle between the origin and 2), it is 26.57 deg, and pathagorean theorem to find the distance r to be .045m

since 2) is - charged, its electric field is going away from the origin at 26.57 degrees.

[itex] ( (8.99x10^{-9}) (Q) ) / (.045)^2 [/itex]

Now I can break it down into components, but how am I suppose to find Q, the charge of the origin?

If they gave me a value for the electric force between the origin and one of the particles I can find Q, but with this information I don't see any way I can find it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no charge at the origin. In the formula E = kQ/r2, Q is the charge that is producing the electric field. Each of the two charges that are given in the problem is producing electric field at the origin.

TSny said:
There is no charge at the origin. In the formula E = kQ/r2, Q is the charge that is producing the electric field. Each of the two charges that are given in the problem is producing electric field at the origin.
Thank you sir. I was wasting my time on this question for 2 hours already.. now my answer matches my books answer. TY.

OK, good work.

Related to Find the electric field at the origin

1. What is the concept of electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field at a point calculated?

The electric field at a point is calculated by dividing the electric force on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. This results in the electric field strength, which is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C).

3. What are the factors that affect the electric field?

The electric field at a point is affected by the magnitude and direction of the source charge, as well as the distance between the source charge and the point of interest. Other factors such as the presence of other charges and conductive materials in the surrounding area can also affect the electric field.

4. How do the direction and strength of the electric field relate to each other?

The direction of the electric field is always in the direction that a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. The strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the source charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source charge.

5. Why is it important to find the electric field at a specific point?

Knowing the electric field at a specific point is important in understanding the behavior of electric charges in that area. It can also be used to determine the force experienced by a charged particle at that point, which is crucial in many applications such as circuit design and particle accelerators.