Analytical Geometry (Division of line segments)

You have correctly calculated the coordinates of point P on AB extended through B, which is twice as far from A as from B. It is important to note that the coordinates of P in this case will be on the line AB, not necessarily between points A and B. So it is possible for P to have coordinates (8,11) even though it is not between A and B on the graph.In summary, to find the coordinates of point P on AB extended through B, which is twice as far from A as from B, you need to use the equation XP = X1 + R(X2-X1) and solve for both X and Y. In this case, the coordinates of P are (8,11) which may or
at94official
1. Here is the Problem:

A line passes through A(2,3) and B(5,7).
Find:
(a) the coordinates of the point P on AB
extended through B to P so that P is twice as far from A as from B;
(b) the coordinates if P is on AB extended through A so that P is twice as far from B as from A.

Homework Equations

:[/B]
To get the coordinates P, here is the equation i used:
XP=X1+R(X2-X1)

R is the Ratio of AP/AB

I'll do the same for Yp

The Attempt at a Solution

:
[/B]
So this is my attempt to solve the (a) P Coordinates.

AP = 2BP

R=AP/AB=2/1=2

X = X1+R(X2-X1)
X = 2+2(5-2)
X = 2+2(3)
X = 2+6
X = 8

For Y:

Y = 3+2(7-3)
Y = 3+2(4)
Y = 3+8
Y = 11

∴ (a)P (8,11)As i attempt to graph it. It seems like it is too much based on the problem. What did I miss?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution looks fine.

Related to Analytical Geometry (Division of line segments)

What is analytical geometry and how does it relate to division of line segments?

Analytical geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with studying geometric shapes and figures using algebraic equations and methods. In terms of division of line segments, it allows us to calculate the coordinates of the point that divides a line segment into two parts in a given ratio.

What is the formula used to find the coordinates of the point that divides a line segment into two parts in a given ratio?

The formula used is (x, y) = ( (rx2 + sx1) / (r + s), (ry2 + sy1) / (r + s) ), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the endpoints of the line segment, and r and s are the given ratios.

How do you determine whether the division of a line segment is internal or external?

The division of a line segment is considered internal when the point dividing the segment lies between the two endpoints, and external when it lies outside the segment. This can be determined by comparing the given ratios. If r > s, then the point is internal, and if r < s, then the point is external.

What are the different types of division of line segments?

The different types are simple division, where the given ratio is a positive number, and compound division, where the given ratio is a negative number. In simple division, the point dividing the segment lies between the two endpoints, while in compound division, the point lies outside the segment.

Can analytical geometry be applied to three-dimensional space?

Yes, analytical geometry can be extended to three-dimensional space, where it involves the use of three coordinates (x, y, z) to represent points in space. The concept of division of line segments can also be applied in three-dimensional space using similar formulas and methods.