Distance between point coordinates in a straight line

In summary, the problem involves finding a point P on the line AB such that the distance from P to B is three times the distance from P to A. This is done by writing the line in parametric form and using the distance formula to set up an equation. Further steps are needed to solve for the specific value of P.
Bunny-chan

Homework Statement

Let [itex]A = (1,2,5)[/itex] and [itex]B = (0,1,0)[/itex]. Determine a point [itex]P[/itex] of the line [itex]AB[/itex] such that [itex]||\vec{PB}|| = 3||\vec{PA}||[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially, writing the line in parametric form[tex]\vec{AB} = B - A = (0-1,1-2,0-5) = (-1,-1,-5)\\
\\
\Rightarrow \vec{v} = (-1,-1,-5)\\[/tex][tex]r: (1, 2, 5) + \lambda(-1,-1,-5)\\
\\
x = 1 - \lambda\\
y = 2 - \lambda\\
z = 5 - 5\lambda[/tex]I know that [itex]\text{dist}\{PB\} = ||\vec{PB}||[/itex], which in turn means[tex]||\vec{PB}|| = \sqrt{(0 - x)^2 + (1 - y)^2 + (0 - z)^2} = 3||\vec{PA}|| \\ \Rightarrow \sqrt{(0 - x)^2 + (1 - y)^2 + (0 - z)^2} = 3\left(\sqrt{(1 - x)^2 + (2 - y)^2 + (5 - z)^2}\right)[/tex]And then I just replace the variables with their values from the parametric system of equations.

While this does seem correct to me, I can never get to the value of my book. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong. I've checked a few solutions on the web, and sometimes they subtract [itex]P - B[/itex] instead of [itex]B - P[/itex] like I did, and it doesn't make sense to me... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bunny-chan said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex]A = (1,2,5)[/itex] and [itex]B = (0,1,0)[/itex]. Determine a point [itex]P[/itex] of the line [itex]AB[/itex] such that [itex]||\vec{PB}|| = 3||\vec{PA}||[/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially, writing the line in parametric form[tex]\vec{AB} = B - A = (0-1,1-2,0-5) = (-1,-1,-5)\\
\\
\Rightarrow \vec{v} = (-1,-1,-5)\\[/tex][tex]r: (1, 2, 5) + \lambda(-1,-1,-5)\\
\\
x = 1 - \lambda\\
y = 2 - \lambda\\
z = 5 - 5\lambda[/tex]I know that [itex]\text{dist}\{PB\} = ||\vec{PB}||[/itex], which in turn means[tex]||\vec{PB}|| = \sqrt{(0 - x)^2 + (1 - y)^2 + (0 - z)^2} = 3||\vec{PA}|| \\ \Rightarrow \sqrt{(0 - x)^2 + (1 - y)^2 + (0 - z)^2} = 3\left(\sqrt{(1 - x)^2 + (2 - y)^2 + (5 - z)^2}\right)[/tex]And then I just replace the variables with their values from the parametric system of equations.

While this does seem correct to me, I can never get to the value of my book. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong. I've checked a few solutions on the web, and sometimes they subtract [itex]P - B[/itex] instead of [itex]B - P[/itex] like I did, and it doesn't make sense to me... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Your work is correct so far, show what you did further.

Related to Distance between point coordinates in a straight line

1. What is the formula for calculating the distance between two point coordinates in a straight line?

The distance between two point coordinates, (x1, y1) and (x2, y2), can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem:
Distance = √(x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2

2. How do I find the distance between multiple point coordinates in a straight line?

If you have multiple point coordinates, you can calculate the distance between each pair of points and then add them together to get the total distance. For example, if you have points A, B, and C, the total distance would be:
Distance = DistanceAB + DistanceBC

3. Can the distance between two point coordinates be negative?

No, the distance between two point coordinates cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, representing the length of the straight line connecting the two points.

4. Is the unit of measurement important when calculating the distance between point coordinates?

Yes, the unit of measurement is important when calculating the distance between point coordinates. It should be consistent for all coordinates, whether it is in meters, kilometers, or another unit of measurement.

5. Are there any online tools or apps that can help me calculate the distance between point coordinates?

Yes, there are several online tools and apps that can help you calculate the distance between point coordinates. Some examples include Google Maps, Geo Measure Area Calculator, and Distance Calculator. These tools can also help you measure the distance between multiple point coordinates and provide a visual representation of the distance on a map.