Analytic continuation to find scattering bound states

In summary, the poles of the reflection coefficient have to do with resonance points in the potential.
alexvas
Hello,

I am trying to understand the idea of using analytic continuation to find bound states in a scattering problem. What do the poles of the reflection coefficent have to do with bound states? In a problem that my quantum professor did in class (from a previous final), we looked at the 1D potential

$$ V(x) = \begin{cases} \infty & x \le 0 \\ V_0<0 & 0<x\le a \\ 0 & x > a \end{cases} $$

After some work, we found that the transmission coefficent near $x=a$ has to look like

$$ S(k) = e^{-2ika} \frac{1+i\tan(k'x)\frac{k}{k'}}{1-i\tan(k'a)\frac{k}{k'}} $$

with
$$k'=\frac{\sqrt{|V_0|-E}}{\hbar} \quad\text{and}\quad k=\frac{\sqrt{2mE}}{\hbar}$$ .

(Notice that k' is real but k is imaginary.) He then said that to find the bound states we want to analytically continue and then look for poles in S(k) (why?!), so we take $$k\to i\kappa$$ (why?!) where $$\kappa = \frac{\sqrt{2m|E|}}{\hbar}$$, so the denominator of S(k) (at the simple pole) becomes

$$ 0=1-i\tan (k'a)\frac{(i\kappa)}{k'} = 1+\tan (k'a)\frac{\kappa}{k'} $$

Therefore (why?!) the bound states are given by solutions to $$\tan(k'a) = -\frac{k'}{\kappa}$$.

This is the last part of a four-part problem, so it could be that I'm not including a critical detail. The full problem statement is problem 3 here:
http://www.phys.washington.edu/~karch/517/2012/fin11.pdf

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at it like this: A true bound state is a scattered wave without incident wave. Hence it must coincide with a pole of the scattering matrix as the latter is the quotient of the scattered and the incident radiation.
There are other poles with complex energy and momentum. These are called "resonances".

Related to Analytic continuation to find scattering bound states

What is analytic continuation?

Analytic continuation is a mathematical technique used to extend a function from its known values in a certain domain to values in a larger or different domain.

How is analytic continuation used to find scattering bound states?

In the context of scattering bound states, analytic continuation is used to extend the scattering amplitude function from real values of energy to complex values. This allows for the identification of poles in the complex energy plane, which correspond to the bound states.

What is the connection between poles in the complex energy plane and bound states?

Poles in the complex energy plane correspond to bound states because they indicate the existence of a resonance, where the scattering amplitude goes to infinity. This resonance arises from the system's underlying bound state, which can be described by a pole in the complex energy plane.

How does analytical continuation help to identify the energy of a bound state?

Analytic continuation allows for the identification of poles in the complex energy plane, which correspond to bound states. By finding the energy value at which a pole occurs, the energy of the bound state can be determined.

What are the limitations of using analytic continuation to find scattering bound states?

One limitation is that analytic continuation requires knowledge of the scattering amplitude function, which may be difficult to obtain for complex systems. Additionally, it may not be possible to uniquely determine the energy of the bound state if there are multiple poles in the complex energy plane.