Finite square well bound states

In summary, the finite potential well with regions of infinite and finite potential can be solved using the time-independent Schrodinger equation and the continuity conditions of Psi and its derivative. The relation between V0 and the number of bound states can be calculated graphically or numerically, with a possible approximate solution being V0 = (N-1)^2 * (h^2 / 32ma^2).
andrewtz98
Let's suppose I have a finite potential well: $$
V(x)=
\begin{cases}
\infty,\quad x<0\\
0,\quad 0<x<a\\
V_o,\quad x>a.
\end{cases}
$$

I solved the time-independent Schrodinger equation for each region and after applying the continuity conditions of ##\Psi## and its derivative I ended up with:

$$ \tan(k_1a)=-\frac{k_1}{k_2},$$ where ##k_1=\sqrt{\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}}## and ##k_2=\sqrt{\frac{2m(V_o-E)}{\hbar^2}}##.

I'm aware of the fact that solutions can only be calculated graphically, but what's the relation between the value of ##V_o## and the bound states? What if I want to find the acceptable values of ##V_o## for the bound states to be ##1,2,3,\dots## or none?

Physics news on Phys.org
andrewtz98 said:
What if I want to find...
andrewtz98 said:
I'm aware of the fact that solutions can only be calculated graphically

Doesn't that answer your question?

There is a relationship between a, m and V0 and the number of bound states. I doubt it has an analytic form, but the way you get it asking that the Nth state be just on the edge of being bound. If I did it right, for large N,

[tex] V_0 \approx (N-1)^2 \frac{h^2}{32ma^2} [/tex]By the way, graphing is not the only way to find the solutions. You can also do it numerically.

Related to Finite square well bound states

What is a finite square well bound state?

A finite square well bound state is a physical phenomenon in which a particle is confined within a finite potential well, such as a square well. It is characterized by the particle's energy being lower than the potential energy outside of the well, allowing it to be trapped within the well.

How is a finite square well bound state different from an infinite square well bound state?

A finite square well bound state is different from an infinite square well bound state in that the potential well is not infinitely deep. This means that the particle has a finite probability of tunneling through the potential barrier and escaping the well.

What are the conditions for a particle to be in a finite square well bound state?

The conditions for a particle to be in a finite square well bound state are that the particle's energy must be less than the potential energy outside of the well, and the potential well must be deep enough to confine the particle within its boundaries.

What is the significance of finite square well bound states in quantum mechanics?

Finite square well bound states are significant in quantum mechanics because they provide a simple model for understanding the behavior of particles in confined systems. They also demonstrate the concept of wavefunction localization and the effects of potential barriers on particle behavior.

How are finite square well bound states experimentally observed?

Finite square well bound states can be experimentally observed using techniques such as spectroscopy or electron tunneling microscopy. By measuring the energy levels and positions of particles within the well, scientists can confirm the presence of these bound states and study their properties.