1D scattering: Taylor expansion

In summary: Then only the first and third terms of the Taylor expansion remain, (the other terms are odd powers of ## x ##, and the integral of an odd function over ## -\infty ## to ## +\infty ## is zero). The first two terms of the expansion of ##f(x) ## about ## x=0 ## are ## f(0)+f'(0)x ##, and ## f'(x) ## is easy to find. If you don't know how to take a derivative, you should review that first. The derivative of ##f(x) ## is found by the quotient rule. You can probably do it yourself now that I've mentioned
WWCY
Hi all, I'm having a problem understanding a step in an arxiv paper (https://arxiv.org/pdf/0808.3566.pdf) and would like a bit of help.

In equation (29) the authors have
$$R = \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int dk \ e^{-(k - k_0)^2 \sigma^2} \ \Big( \frac{ k - \kappa}{ k+ \kappa} \Big)^2$$
where the ##k##-space peak is sharp about ##k_0##

They then state that "we can Taylor expand the complicating factors about ##k = k_0## to get a series of standard integrals", and wrote the result as
$$R \approx \Big( \frac{k_0 - \kappa _0}{k_0 + \kappa _0} \Big)^2 + \Big( \frac{2 k_0}{\kappa _0 ^3 } + \frac{8}{\kappa _0 ^2} \Big) \Big( \frac{k_0 - \kappa _0}{k_0 + \kappa _0} \Big)^2 \frac{1}{\sigma ^2}$$

How did they perform the taylor expansion and on which term? My guess is that they expanded something up to second order in ##k - k_0## before integrating but I can't figure out how they did it. Assistance is greatly appreciated!

Likes Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
In the ## (\frac{k-\kappa}{k+\kappa})^2 ## let's change ## \kappa ## to ##y ##.
Then ##R=R(y) ##, and we are actually finding ##R(y_o) ##.
I haven't solved it exactly yet, but we now have, with a little algebra and letting ## y=y_o ##,
##(\frac{k-y}{k+y})^2= (\frac{k-k_o+k_o-y_o}{k-k_o+k_o+y_o})^2 ##.
Now change ## k-k_o ## to ## x ## everywhere, including in the ## e^{-(k-k_o)^2 \sigma^2} ##.
Then we have the factor on the exponential is ## (\frac{x+A}{x+B})^2 ## where ## A=k_o-y_o ## and ## B=k_o+y_o ##.
Let ## f(x)=(\frac{x+A}{x+B})^2 ##, and ## f(x)=f(0)+f'(0)x+f''(0) \frac{x^2}{2} +... ## where ## x ## is small.
Then we have ## R(y_o)=\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int\limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-x^2 \sigma^2} f(x) \, dx ##.
The ## x ## (middle) term integrates to ## 0 ## because ## x ## is odd.
## f(0)=(\frac{A}{B})^2 ## and the integral is normalized to unity.
It remains to compute ## f''(0) ## correctly, and evaluate ##I= \int\limits_{-\infty}^{+\infty} x^2 e^{-x^2 \sigma^2} \, dx ##.
It integrates by parts, and I think it gives ##I= \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2 \sigma^3}##.
I haven't gotten complete agreement yet with the textbook, but it's looking similar to what they have, and with a careful evaluation of ## f''(0) ## the results might agree.## \\ ## Edit: I get the ## \sigma^2 ## in the denominator like they do in the second term of the expression for ## R(\gamma_o) ##,(and that is the key term because ## \sigma ## is large in the numerator of the Gaussian, making for a narrow peak, (usually ## \sigma^2 ## is in the denominator of the exponential) , but so far I don't agree with the rest of what they have.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes WWCY and DrClaude
In general ## k_o \neq \gamma_o ## so I don't think the second term needs to have the second order form of ## (k_o-\gamma_o) ## . (I've substituted ## \gamma ## for ## \kappa ##). Perhaps I'm expanding it a different way, but I could not duplicate the form that they have.## \\ ## In addition, I do not get ## \gamma_o^2 ## or higher power in the denominator of the second term. Instead, I get a ## \gamma_o ## in the numerator. As ## \gamma_o \rightarrow 0 ##, I think their expression incorrectly diverges. The peak is at ## k=k_o ##, but I don't see any restriction on ## \gamma ## (= ## \kappa##).

Last edited:
Hi @Charles Link , thanks for your assistance, I will try to work through and understand your work!

Edit: I have just realized that I have completely failed to mention that ##\kappa = \sqrt{k^2 + \frac{2mV_0}{\hbar ^2} }##

Sincerest apologies if I have wasted your efforts!

Last edited:
WWCY said:
Hi @Charles Link , thanks for your assistance, I will try to work through and understand your work!

Edit: I have just realized that I have completely failed to mention that ##\kappa = \sqrt{k^2 + \frac{2mV_0}{\hbar ^2} }##

Sincerest apologies if I have wasted your efforts!
This last part is extra info and not needed to do this calculation. What it says is that in general, ## k \neq \kappa ##.

Charles Link said:
This last part is extra info and not needed to do this calculation. What it says is that in general, ## k \neq \kappa ##.
In this case I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind ##(\frac{k-y}{k+y})^2= (\frac{k-k_o+k_o-y_o}{k-k_o+k_o+y_o})^2## and ##(\frac{x+A}{x+B})^2##, ##A=k_o-y_o, \ B=k_o+y_o##. Integrating over these functions already seems to assume that ##\kappa = y## is a constant, and not a function of ##k##.

Do you mind elaborating? Thanks.

Yes. That is correct: ## R=R(y) ##, and we are really interested in solving for ## R(y_o) ##. That makes ## \kappa=y_o ## is a constant, and the expansion in the first equation after "rationale behind" is just some algebra to simplify the function.
Since in the narrow Gaussian we have ## e^{-\sigma^2 (k-ko)^2 }##, we can do a change of variable and let ## x=k-k_o ##. That gives ## dk=dx ##. Meanwhile the limits of integration are still ## -\infty ## to ## +\infty ##.
[i.e. To a good approximation, since ## k ## in actuality does not become negative, but for mathematical simplicity we let ##k ## go to ## -\infty ##] ,

The algebra could be done simply by letting ## k=x+k_o ## instead of putting ## -k_o+k_o ## in both the numerator and denominator.
The narrow Gaussian peaks at ## x=0 ##, so the other term, (## (\frac{x+A}{x+B})^2 ##), requires a Taylor expansion about ## x=0 ##. You should be able to Taylor expand ##f(x)=(\frac{x+A}{x+B})^2 ## about ## x=0 ## , if your calculus is reasonably good.

Likes WWCY

Related to 1D scattering: Taylor expansion

1. What is the Taylor expansion in 1D scattering?

The Taylor expansion in 1D scattering is a mathematical technique used to approximate the behavior of a scattering process. It involves breaking down a complex function into a series of simpler terms, making it easier to analyze and understand.

2. How is the Taylor expansion used in 1D scattering experiments?

In 1D scattering experiments, the Taylor expansion is used to model the scattering process and make predictions about the behavior of the scattered particles. It allows scientists to understand the underlying physics and make accurate measurements.

3. What are the limitations of using the Taylor expansion in 1D scattering?

One limitation of using the Taylor expansion in 1D scattering is that it assumes a smooth and continuous scattering process. This may not always be the case in real-world scenarios, leading to inaccuracies in the predictions made using the Taylor expansion.

4. How does the number of terms in the Taylor expansion affect its accuracy in 1D scattering?

The more terms included in the Taylor expansion, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, including too many terms can also lead to overfitting and a loss of generalizability. Therefore, the number of terms used should be carefully chosen based on the specific scattering process being analyzed.

5. Can the Taylor expansion be used in higher dimensional scattering?

Yes, the Taylor expansion can be extended to higher dimensions, such as 2D or 3D scattering. However, the complexity and number of terms in the expansion increase significantly as the dimensionality increases, making it more challenging to use in practice.