Abstract Diving: Researching Papers on Web - Good or Bad?

In summary, there are various databases and resources available on the web, such as CiteSeer and Google Scholar, for finding relevant papers. However, their reliability may be questionable and it may be necessary to visit a university library for more reliable sources. It is also recommended to speak to a librarian for assistance in accessing online journal subscriptions through the university.
dimensionless
If I were doing research would I be able to locate papers of relevance exclusively from the web(and also bibliographies of papers I've looked at)? There are some fairly large databases on the web, such as citeseer. At the worst, I would call these resources "good." I'm not sure that I can depend on them though. Must I make the hour long trip to my local university library? For that matter, I don't know what reference I would have to look in there either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Google scholar's a good first port of call, provided you have some specific keywords.

the internet is the greatest.

:rolleyes:

I've been told there are index of abstracts at the library, but I'm not sure if it's true.

dimensionless said:
:rolleyes:

I've been told there are index of abstracts at the library, but I'm not sure if it's true.
Talk to the librarian, they are a great resource. Your university should have subscriptions to journals you may need and you may have access to these online.

Related to Abstract Diving: Researching Papers on Web - Good or Bad?

What is abstract diving and why is it important?

Abstract diving is a term used to describe the process of researching papers on the web by reading their abstracts. It is important because it allows scientists to quickly and efficiently assess the relevance and quality of a paper before investing time in reading the full text.

What are the potential benefits of abstract diving?

The main benefit of abstract diving is that it saves time and resources by allowing scientists to quickly identify relevant research papers. It also helps in staying up-to-date with the latest scientific developments and can provide a broad overview of a particular topic or field of study.

What are the potential drawbacks of relying on abstract diving for research?

One potential drawback is that abstracts may not always accurately represent the content of the full paper. Additionally, abstract diving may lead to a biased or incomplete understanding of a topic if only a few abstracts are read without further investigation. It is important to read the full paper for a comprehensive understanding of the research.

How can scientists avoid potential pitfalls when using abstract diving for research?

To avoid potential pitfalls, scientists should read abstracts critically and not solely rely on them for their research. It is important to read the full paper to fully understand the research and its implications. Scientists should also consult multiple sources and compare findings to ensure a well-rounded understanding of the topic.

Is abstract diving considered a good or bad practice in the scientific community?

Abstract diving can be a useful tool for scientists, but it should not be the sole method of research. It is important to supplement abstract diving with other research methods and to use critical thinking when evaluating the quality and relevance of the abstracts. Therefore, it is neither considered a completely good nor a completely bad practice, but rather a tool that should be used cautiously and in conjunction with other research methods.