Absolute max/min over intervals

In summary, the conversation is about finding the absolute minimum and maximum of the function f(x)=x^3-12x^2-27x+8 over three different intervals: [-2,0], [1,10], and [-2,10]. The first step is to find the derivative of the function and solve for critical points, which are x=-1 and x=9. However, when plugging in these values, there are no defined absolute minimum or maximum as the function tends to infinity as x increases or decreases without bound. Therefore, the correct answers for the intervals are: a) absolute max = none, absolute min = -1; b) absolute max = none, absolute min = none; c)
riri
Hello, I'm doing:
Find absolute min/max of f(x)=x^3-12x^2-27x+8

First I found derivative and when I solved, I got x=9 and x=-1.
So I have to find max/min for 3 different intervals:

a) [-2,0]
And I thought absolute max=-1 and absolute min = none?

b) [1,10]
max= none
min= none

c) [-2,10]
max=-1?
min=none again because for x=9, it goes decrease and decrease so it's not min or max.

But NONE of these are right, can anyone help me what I am doing wrong and what they are asking for then?
thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
$$f'(x)=3x^2-24x-27=3(x+1)(x-9)=0$$
so there is local extremum at $x=-1$ and $x=9$. Plug these values into $f(x)$ to find the values of the extremum. As $f(x)$ tends to $\pm\infty$ as $x$ increases/decreases without bound, there are no defined absolute minimum and absolute maximum.

riri said:
Hello, I'm doing:

a) [-2,0]

b) [1,10]
max= none
min= none

c) [-2,10]
max=-1?
min=none again because for x=9, it goes decrease and decrease so it's not min or max.

But NONE of these are right, can anyone help me what I am doing wrong and what they are asking for then?
thank you!

The absolute maximum or absolute minimum of a function over an interval can occur either at a turning point or an end point.

Also the maximum/minimum VALUE of the function is the y value, positioned where x = blah...

- - - Updated - - -

greg1313 said:
$$f'(x)=3x^2-24x-27=3(x+1)(x-9)=0$$
so there is local extremum at $x=-1$ and $x=9$. Plug these values into $f(x)$ to find the values of the extremum. As $f(x)$ tends to $\pm\infty$ as $x$ increases/decreases without bound, there are no defined absolute minimum and absolute maximum.

Except that the OP needs to find the absolute max/min of the function IN THE INTERVALS PROVIDED.

riri said:
Hello, I'm doing:

a) [-2,0]

b) [1,10]
max= none
min= none

c) [-2,10]
max=-1?

thank you!
check this out and let me know if you have further questions, I am here to help

Related to Absolute max/min over intervals

What is the difference between absolute maximum and absolute minimum?

The absolute maximum of a function is the highest value that the function reaches over a given interval, while the absolute minimum is the lowest value that the function reaches over the same interval.

How do you find the absolute maximum and absolute minimum of a function over a given interval?

To find the absolute maximum and absolute minimum, you must first find the critical points of the function over the given interval. Then, evaluate the function at each critical point and at the endpoints of the interval. The highest value will be the absolute maximum and the lowest value will be the absolute minimum.

Can a function have more than one absolute maximum or absolute minimum over an interval?

No, a function can only have one absolute maximum and one absolute minimum over a given interval.

Is it possible for a function to have an absolute maximum or absolute minimum at an endpoint of an interval?

Yes, a function can have an absolute maximum or absolute minimum at an endpoint of an interval if the endpoint is a critical point of the function.

What is the purpose of finding the absolute maximum and absolute minimum of a function over an interval?

Finding the absolute maximum and absolute minimum of a function over an interval can help determine the highest and lowest values of the function, which can be useful in various applications such as optimization problems and determining the overall behavior of the function.