Lagrange multipliers: How do I know if its a max of min

In summary, for the function ##f(x,y)=x^2+y^2## subject to the constraint ##xy=1##, the local extremum is 2 and it is a minimum. For the function ##f(x_1,x_2,...,x_n) = x_1+x_2+...+x_n + (x_1)^2+...+(x_n)^2=1##, the local extremum is ##\sqrt{n}## and it is a maximum. To determine if these are maximum or minimum values, compare them to other extrema and consider values close to them. If there is only one extremum, it is a global minimum.
freshman2013
in the problem f(x,y)=x^2+y^2 and xy=1, I get 2 as a local extrema and it is a min
in the problem f(x1,x2...xn) = x1+x2..+xn (x1)^2+...(xn)^2=1 I get sqrt(n) and its a max. How do I know if these are max or min values? If I get more than two extrema, I just compare them and one's a max and the other's min. What if there's only one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Then look at values close to that extremum.

1) The objective ##f## is bounded below (since ##f\geq 0##) but not above (since ##f\left(x,\frac1x\right) = x^2 +
\frac1{x^2}\geq x^2 \to \infty## as ##x\to \infty##). So it may be possible to have a global minimum in the constraint set, but you'll never find a global maximum.

2) The objective is convex (which follows either from using the triangle inequality or from computing the Hessian), so that any local minimum in the convex set ##\{(x,y):\enspace x,y\geq0, \enspace xy\geq 1\}## is a global minimum.

Related to Lagrange multipliers: How do I know if its a max of min

1. How do I know if a point is a maximum or minimum using Lagrange multipliers?

When using Lagrange multipliers, you can determine if a point is a maximum or minimum by evaluating the second derivative of the function at the point. If the second derivative is positive, the point is a minimum, and if it is negative, the point is a maximum.

2. Can Lagrange multipliers be used for functions with multiple variables?

Yes, Lagrange multipliers can be used for functions with multiple variables. In fact, this is the main purpose of using Lagrange multipliers - to optimize functions with multiple variables subject to constraints.

3. How do I find the maximum or minimum value using Lagrange multipliers?

To find the maximum or minimum value using Lagrange multipliers, you first need to set up the Lagrangian function by adding the constraint equation to the original function multiplied by a Lagrange multiplier. Then, you can solve for the critical points of the Lagrangian function and evaluate the second derivative to determine if they are maximum or minimum points.

4. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange multipliers?

One limitation of using Lagrange multipliers is that it can only be used for differentiable functions. It also requires the constraints to be independent of each other, otherwise the solution may not be valid. Additionally, finding the solution can be computationally intensive for functions with a large number of variables.

5. Can Lagrange multipliers be used for non-linear constraints?

Yes, Lagrange multipliers can be used for non-linear constraints. The constraint equation can be in the form of a non-linear function, and the same process of setting up the Lagrangian function and solving for critical points can be used to find the maximum or minimum value.