Absolute Min-Max over a region

• MHB
  • Thread starter Yankel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Absolute
In summary, you need to find the global extrema and the roots of your function on the boundary of a region.
Yankel
Hello,

I am trying to find the absolute min-max of the function:

\[f(x,y)=xy^{2}\]

over the set:

\[D=x^{2}+y^{2}\leq 1, y\geq 0, x\geq 0\]

Usually, when I have a problem where D is a rectangle, I check every line out of 4 for min-max. If D is a triangle, the same. If D is a circle, I usually take the circle line and put it in f in such a way that created a single variable function.

Here, I have a quarter of a circle (photo attached).

View attachment 2599

Now how do I handle it ? I know I need to check the two lines in the region. How do I handle the quarter of a circle ? Should I do:

\[y^{2}=1-x^{2}\]

put it in f, solve and take only points that satisfy x>=0 and y>=0 ?

a better way ?

thanks !

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.1 KB · Views: 66
Physics news on Phys.org
You may consider the parametrization of $x$ and $y$:

\(\displaystyle x=\cos(t)\)

\(\displaystyle y=\sin(t)\)

Thus, on the boundary, you can write $f$ as a function of the single variable $t$.

Thanks, but I need to solve it by finding critical points, and then looking for all boundary points.

Yankel said:
Thanks, but I need to solve it by finding critical points, and then looking for all boundary points.

Your function obviously has its global extrema on the boundary, so there is no need to look for calculus type of extrema on the interior of the region. The boundary is $x=\cos(\theta)$ $y=\sin(\theta)$, so as a function of $\theta$ on the boundary is: $f(\theta)=\cos(\theta)(\sin(\theta))^2$.It is this function you need to find the extrema of.

Yankel said:

Yes, and the parametrization I suggested is one way to examine $f$ on the boundary of the region $D$. :D

you guys don't understand what I need to do. I'll show you what I tried, maybe it will give you a better clue. But as to your suggestion, I must NOT use sin or cos ! even if it makes it easier.

Now, I found the partial derivatives, just to get

\[2xy=0\]

and

\[y^{2}=0\]

this yields one point: (0,0)

Now I looked at the circle, I wrote it as:

\[y^{2}=1-x^{2}\]

and created a single variable function:

\[f(x,1-x^{2})=x^{5}-2x^{3}+x\]

I found it's derivative, compared to 0 and found 4 points:

\[x=\pm 1\]

and

\[x=\pm \frac{1}{5}\]

the negative value are not in the region, so that left me with 2 points to check:

\[(1,0)\]

and

\[(\frac{1}{5},\frac{24}{25})\]

In addition, the points that connects the quarter of a circle with the lines need to be checked, and so I also check (1,0) which is already on the list and (0,1)

I got that the max is

\[f(\frac{1}{5},\frac{24}{25})=0.184\]

and the min is 0.

But, this is wrong answer, according to the book, the answer should be:

\[f(\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}},\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}})=0.384\]and I have no idea where these numbers come from !

Now that you see in what technique I must solve this, can you please help me finding what I am doing wrong here ?

Thanks ! :eek:

You initially asked only for a better way, and I was simply trying to point you to an alternate method that is probably computationally simpler.

I apologize for the misunderstandings, I meant a better way within the technique I tried to describe. Now that I specified what I did, should I have done it in a different way, I mean, where did the sqrt(1/3) came from ?

Yankel said:
you guys don't understand what I need to do. I'll show you what I tried, maybe it will give you a better clue. But as to your suggestion, I must NOT use sin or cos ! even if it makes it easier.

Now, I found the partial derivatives, just to get

\[2xy=0\]

and

\[y^{2}=0\]

this yields one point: (0,0)

Now I looked at the circle, I wrote it as:

\[y^{2}=1-x^{2}\]

and created a single variable function:

\[f(x,1-x^{2})=x^{5}-2x^{3}+x\]

I found it's derivative, compared to 0 and found 4 points:

\[x=\pm 1\]

and

\[x=\pm \frac{1}{5}\]

the negative value are not in the region, so that left me with 2 points to check:

\[(1,0)\]

and

\[(\frac{1}{5},\frac{24}{25})\]

In addition, the points that connects the quarter of a circle with the lines need to be checked, and so I also check (1,0) which is already on the list and (0,1)

I got that the max is

\[f(\frac{1}{5},\frac{24}{25})=0.184\]

and the min is 0.

But, this is wrong answer, according to the book, the answer should be:

\[f(\sqrt{\frac{1}{3}},\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}})=0.384\]and I have no idea where these numbers come from !

Now that you see in what technique I must solve this, can you please help me finding what I am doing wrong here ?

Thanks ! :eek:

The feasible region for your function on the boundary is $x \in [0,1]$, your roots other than $x=1$ are wrong. You also need to check for extrema on the rays $x=0$, $y=0$ (well you don't as I said previously the global extrema are on $x^2+y^2=1$ .

But worse your function is wrong $xy^2=x(1-x^2)$ not what you have.

Also if you do not post the question as asked, we will answer the question we think you were asked (and I still think switching to polars will answer your question as asked better than this method).

Last edited:
Thank you, my mistake was indeed in setting the function. Silly mistake.

Thanks !

Related to Absolute Min-Max over a region

1. What is the concept of "Absolute Min-Max over a region" in mathematics?

In mathematics, the concept of "Absolute Min-Max over a region" refers to finding the minimum and maximum values of a function over a given region. This involves finding the lowest and highest points of the function within the specified region.

2. How is the "Absolute Min-Max over a region" different from the global minimum and maximum of a function?

The "Absolute Min-Max over a region" is specific to a particular region, while the global minimum and maximum of a function refer to the lowest and highest values of the function over its entire domain. The absolute min-max values may or may not coincide with the global minimum and maximum values.

3. What is the significance of finding the "Absolute Min-Max over a region" of a function?

Finding the absolute min-max values of a function over a region can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function within that region. It can also help in solving optimization problems and determining the most favorable conditions for a given situation.

4. How is the "Absolute Min-Max over a region" calculated?

The "Absolute Min-Max over a region" is typically calculated by taking the derivative of the function, setting it equal to zero, and solving for the critical points within the given region. The lowest and highest values of the function at these critical points are then identified as the absolute min-max values.

5. Can the "Absolute Min-Max over a region" be found for all types of functions?

Yes, the "Absolute Min-Max over a region" can be found for all types of functions, as long as the function is continuous and differentiable over the given region. However, the calculation method may vary depending on the complexity of the function.