A pendulum with a ball and a string falls to wrap around another peg

In summary, the ball must be moving at the top of its swing in order to make a complete loop around the peg. This means that the ball's speed must be less than 0.5m/s.
emmy

Homework Statement

In the Figure 8-36, the string is L = 220 cm long, has a ball attached to one end, and is fixed at its other end. A fixed peg is at point P. Released from rest, the ball swings down until the string catches on the peg; then the ball swings up, around the peg. If the ball is to swing completely around the peg, what value must distance d exceed? (Hint: The ball must still be moving at the top of its swing. Do you see why?)

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs4957/art/qb/qu/c08/fig08_38.gif

2. The attempt at a solution

I thought I had this one, and it ended up being wrong...
L=2.2m
Before pendulum is released:
Ug0=mgL
Ug0=KEf=.5mv2=mg(2r)

where KEf is the kinetic energy at the lowest point, and r is the radius of the circle the pendulum makes around the second peg.

mgL=mg2r
L=2r
L/2=r
2.2m/2=1.1m=r
so d (being the remaining cord length) is
L-r=d
d=2.2m-1.1m=1.1m

Where did I go wrong :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
First: what is your initial situation? What is your final situation?

Then: why did you write this equation?
emmy said:
Ug0=KEf

diazona said:
First: what is your initial situation? What is your final situation?

Then: why did you write this equation?

Since there are only conservative forces acting on the system,
0=ΔKE+ΔU
0=KEf-KE0+(Uf-U0)

or

U0-Uf = KEf-KE0

The potential energy at the beginning, U0 = Ug = mgL
and Uf=0 at the bottom of the swing
The Kinetic energy at the beginning, KE0=0 since the pendulum is not moving
The Kinetic energy at the bottom of the swing is moving at its maximum speed, and KEf=1/2mv2

so

mgL - 0 = 1/2mv2 - 0
mgL = 1/2mv2
gL=1/2v2
2gL=v2
solve and get velocity of the string at the bottom of the swing

Next, the pendulum is going to begin to swing around the smaller peg...
In order to just make it over the peg, the KE at the top of the swing must be > 0
Again:
0=ΔKE+ΔU
0=KEf-KE0+(Uf-U0)

KEf>0
KE0= 1/2mv2 (<--- this velocity is what I found above)
Uf=mg2r where r is radius
U0= 0

U0-Uf = KEf-KE0
0 - mg2r = -.5mv2
2gr=.5v2
r = .25v2

but that also gives the same answer...

True, but this time you were able to properly justify it ;) So how do you know this is the wrong answer?

diazona said:
True, but this time you were able to properly justify it ;) So how do you know this is the wrong answer?

Because the online homework program said so :Y

Hm, well I don't immediately see anything we're missing. I'll see if I can get someone else to take a look at it.

diazona said:
Hm, well I don't immediately see anything we're missing. I'll see if I can get someone else to take a look at it.

Hmm, maybe it's software malfunction? :biggrin:

*crosses fingers*

The ball has to be moving at a minimal speed at the top, otherwise it won't make a complete loop. That minimal speed isn't 0.

At the slowest speed, the string just goes slack. You can use that criterion to figure out what vmin is.

Related to A pendulum with a ball and a string falls to wrap around another peg

1. How does a pendulum with a ball and string wrap around another peg?

When a pendulum is in motion, it swings back and forth due to the force of gravity. As the pendulum reaches the bottom of its swing, it has the most amount of potential energy. As it swings back up, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. When the pendulum reaches the top of its swing, it has the most amount of kinetic energy. This energy keeps the pendulum in motion, causing it to wrap around the peg.

2. What factors affect the speed at which the pendulum wraps around the peg?

The speed at which the pendulum wraps around the peg is affected by the length of the string, the mass of the ball, and the angle at which it is released. A longer string, heavier ball, and a larger release angle will result in a faster wrap around the peg. Additionally, the force of gravity and air resistance can also have an impact on the speed of the pendulum.

3. Why does the pendulum eventually stop wrapping around the peg?

The pendulum eventually stops wrapping around the peg due to the conservation of energy. As it wraps around the peg, it loses energy to friction and air resistance. This causes the pendulum to gradually slow down and eventually stop. Additionally, the length of the string and the angle of release also affect how quickly the pendulum wraps around the peg and eventually stops.

4. Can the pendulum wrap around the peg multiple times?

Yes, the pendulum can wrap around the peg multiple times depending on its initial release angle and the length of the string. The longer the string and the larger the release angle, the more times the pendulum will wrap around the peg before coming to a complete stop.

5. What other factors can affect the motion of a pendulum with a ball and string?

In addition to the length of the string, mass of the ball, and release angle, other factors that can affect the motion of a pendulum include the force of gravity, air resistance, and the presence of other external forces. These external forces can cause the pendulum to sway in different directions, impacting its motion and ultimately the way it wraps around the peg.