Conservation of Energy, PE & KE, ball attach to string problem?

In summary, a ball attached to a 120 cm long string, fixed at one end and with a distance of 75.0 cm to a peg, is released and swings along an arc. Its speed at the lowest point is 4.85 m/s. The solution for its speed at the highest point can be found online, with the formula E = KE + PE applying and the ball having enough energy to swing up to at least 2r above the bottom. Without the peg, the ball would swing back up to 2r due to conservation of energy.
nchin
The string in the Figure is L = 120 cm long, has a ball attached to one end, and is fixed at its other end. The distance d to the fixed peg at point P is 75.0 cm. When the initially stationary ball is released with the string horizontal as shown, it will swing along the dashed arc. What is its speed when it reaches (a) its lowest point and (b) its highest point after the string catches on the peg?

Picture of figure:

http://panda.unm.edu/Courses/Price/Phys160/F17-1.jpeg

a) I understand part a

i just use v = sqrt (2gh) = sqrt (2(9.8)(1.20m)) = 4.85 m/s.

b) I found the solution for part b online but i don't understand it at all like why is y = 2r?

Solution for part b:
http://panda.unm.edu/Courses/Price/Phys160/p17-1.pdf

mgL = 1/2mv^2 + mgy

does that formula equals E = KE + PE? So at the highest point the total energy is always KE + PE? Also why is y = 2r?

Help please this is really bothering me! Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I found the solution for part b online but i don't understand it at all like why is y = 2r?

Consider the situation without a peg... The ball would swing back upto the horizontal position. Since that is higher than 2r above the bottom it's clear that when the peg is there the ball will have enough energy to go back up at least 2r.

It can't go any higher than 2r because the string and peg limit it. (I'm ignoring the little bit of string wound around the peg).

Had the ball been dropped from a lower position the problem would have been more difficult. Particularly had it been dropped from a height between r and 2r above the bottom.

If dropped from less than r the tension in the string would remain positive. The ball would swing up, slow, stop and swing down again. At it's highest point KE=0.

If it dropped from a height of between r and 2r it would go up past the peg and tension in the string would be lost. The ball could describe a path similar to this..

Attachments

• ball on string.png
    ball on string.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,847
Last edited:
does that formula equals E = KE + PE?

Sorry I missed that bit of your question. Yes. Due to conservation of energy the total energy at the top (PE + KE) equals the energy it had at the at the bottom (E).

so we are considering the potential energy of the ball with no peg to be 2r? I am sorry i still don't get it. so without the peg, is it like this? so 2r would just be a rough estimate right?

Attachments

• peg.PNG
    peg.PNG
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,182
Last edited:
so we are considering the potential energy of the ball with no peg to be 2r?

No. It's at least 2r for the following reason...

1) At the start the PE is mgL.

2) When released the ball swings down and converts that PE into KE = mgL.

3) By inspection of the drawing L > 2r so the KE > mg2r

4) So at the bottom the ball has at least enough KE to swing back up to 2r.

5) It can't swing up more than 2r because the length of the string is fixed. See diagram.

If you still can't follow that let me know which line you get stuck at.

Attachments

• F17-1.jpg
    F17-1.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,140
CWatters said:
No. It's at least 2r for the following reason...

1) At the start the PE is mgL.

2) When released the ball swings down and converts that PE into KE = mgL.

3) By inspection of the drawing L > 2r so the KE > mg2r

4) So at the bottom the ball has at least enough KE to swing back up to 2r.

5) It can't swing up more than 2r because the length of the string is fixed. See diagram.

If you still can't follow that let me know which line you get stuck at.

oooh i see. thanks so much!

Related to Conservation of Energy, PE & KE, ball attach to string problem?

1. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

2. What is potential energy (PE) and kinetic energy (KE)?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

3. How are potential and kinetic energy related?

Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. For example, when a ball is dropped from a height, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it falls.

4. How can the conservation of energy be applied to a ball attached to a string problem?

In a ball attached to a string problem, the total energy (PE + KE) of the system remains constant as the ball moves. As the ball swings back and forth, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy and back again, but the total energy remains the same.

5. Why is the conservation of energy important in the study of physics?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics and is important because it allows us to predict and understand the behavior of objects and systems. It also helps us to develop new technologies and solutions that are more energy efficient.