HW ?: Conservative Forces and Potential Energy

In summary, a 6.2 kg mass hangs on a 1.96 m long rope and is released from rest at a horizontal position. It reaches a speed of 6.201 m/s at the bottom of its path and experiences a tension of 182.457 N. The maximum mass that can be used for this setup without breaking the string is 17.296 kg. With a peg placed 4/5 of the way down the path, the mass reaches a speed of 4.803 m/s at the top of its new path. The tension at the top of the new path is the same as the tension at the bottom, but with opposite signs.
CylonBaby
A mass m = 6.2 kg hangs on the end of a massless rope L = 1.96 m long. The pendulum is held horizontal and released from rest.
pendulum1.png

1) How fast is the mass moving at the bottom of its path?
I calculated this to be 6.201 m/s using the equation v=√(2gh) (correct)

2) What is the magnitude of the tension in the string at the bottom of the path?
Calculated value 182.457 using T=mg+mv^2/r (correct)

3) If the maximum tension the string can take without breaking is Tmax = 509 N, what is the maximum mass that can be used? (Assuming that the mass is still released from the horizontal and swings down to its lowest point.)
Calculated value: 17.296 using a rearranged version of above formula: m= T/(g+v^2/r) (correct)

4)
pendulum2.png

Now a peg is placed 4/5 of the way down the pendulum’s path so that when the mass falls to its vertical position it hits and wraps around the peg. As it wraps around the peg and attains its maximum height it ends a distance of 3/5 L below its starting point (or 2/5 L from its lowest point).
How fast is the mass moving at the top of its new path (directly above the peg)?

On this one I used the chg in PE equation and multiplied the result by 3/5 PE=mgh(3/5) to give me the Kinetic Energy (since it is a conservative force)and KE=-PE
I got 71.5267 J and set up another equation KE = 1/2 mv^2
rearranging to solve for v I get v= √(KE*2/m)
I got 4.803 m/s (correct)

5) Using the original mass of m = 6.2 kg, what is the magnitude of the tension in the string at the top of the new path (directly above the peg)?

I have tried a few things using the new velocity, but I am not sure which values to keep and which to chuck at this point. Any pointers are helpful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After the string is in contact with the peg, you have a shorter pendulum with the peg as the pivot.

Part 5 is basically the same as part 2, except the signs are different.

Phew! Thank you, finally figured out what I was doing wrong!

=)

1. What are conservative forces?

Conservative forces are forces that do not dissipate energy and are dependent only on the initial and final positions of an object. Examples include gravity, electric and magnetic forces.

2. How do conservative forces relate to potential energy?

Conservative forces are directly related to potential energy. The work done by a conservative force is equal to the negative change in potential energy. This means that as an object moves in a conservative force field, its potential energy either increases or decreases depending on the direction of motion.

3. What is the formula for calculating potential energy?

The formula for calculating potential energy is U = mgh, where U is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object above its reference point.

4. Can potential energy be negative?

Yes, potential energy can be negative. This occurs when the reference point is chosen at a higher position than the object's current position. In this case, the potential energy is negative because the object has lost energy as it moved to its current position.

5. How is the concept of potential energy useful in physics?

Potential energy is a useful concept in physics because it allows us to predict the behavior of objects in conservative force fields. It also helps us understand the relationship between energy and forces. Potential energy is also a key component in the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only transferred between different forms.