Pendulum swinging and hitting a peg

In summary, a pendulum of mass m and length L is pulled back an angle of θ and released. After swinging through its lowest point, it encounters a peg α degrees out and r meters from the top of the string. The mass then swings up about the peg until the string becomes slack and the mass falls inward, hitting the peg. Using energy and forces equations, it can be shown that cosθ=(r/L)cosα - (sqrt(3)/2)(1-(r/L)). To solve for the final velocity, both vertical and horizontal components must be considered at the point where the string goes slack. Time is also a factor in ensuring that the x and y components coincide with the peg at the same point in time
angrymasteryoda

Homework Statement

a pendulum of mass m and length L is pulled back an angle of θ and released. After the pendulum swings through its lowest point it encounters a peg α degrees out and r meters from the top of the string. The mass swings up about the peg until the string becomes slack with the mass falling inward and hitting the peg. Show for this condition cosθ=(r/L)cosα - (sqrt(3)/2)(1-(r/L))
http://michael-tech.hostzi.com/ec.png

Homework Equations

Energy from start to slack
mgh = mgh2 + (mv2)/2
forces on slacking pendulum
∑F = mg = (mv2)/L

The Attempt at a Solution

so i have gotten the energy from start to where it slacks

gif.latex?mgh%3Dmgh_%7B2%7D+%5Cfrac%7Bmv%5E2%7D%7B2%7D.gif

5CTheta%20%3Dg%28L-rcos%5Calpha%20+%20%28L-r%29sin%5Cbeta%29+%5Cfrac%7Bv%5E2%7D%7B2%7D.gif

with forces when it slacks i get
gif.latex?gsin%5Cbeta%20%3D%5Cfrac%7Bv%5E2%7D%7BL-r%7D.gif
solving for v^2
gif.latex?v%5E2%3Dg%28L-r%29sin%5Cbeta.gif

plugging and chugging with energy i get
gif.latex?sin%5Cbeta%3D%5Cfrac%7B2%28Lcos%5Ctheta-rcos%5Calpha+L%29%7D%7B3%28L-r%29%7D.gif
if image is broken http://michael-tech.hostzi.com/e1.gif

plugging back into forces i get

gif.latex?%5Cfrac%7B2g%7D%7B3%7D%28Lcos%5Ctheta-rcos%5Calpha+L%29%3Dv%5E2.gif

now it is just a projectile and this is where i am stuck. Here is what i know at this point.
gif.latex?x_%7B0%7D.gif
= 0
gif.latex?y_%7B0%7D.gif
= 0
gif.latex?x%3D%28L-r%29cos%5Cbeta.gif
gif.latex?y%3D%28L-r%29sin%5Cbeta.gif

gif.latex?v_%7B0x%7D%20%3D%20%3F%20v%20cos%5Cbeta%3F.gif
gif.latex?v_%7B0y%7D%20%3D%20%3F%20v%20sin%5Cbeta%3F.gif

gif.latex?v_%7Bx%7D.gif
= don't think i need, think its 0 though vy = don't think i need, think its 0 though
a = 0 a = -g
t=t

I am getting stuck at the Vnot should it be vcosβ. Also does the above make sense so far

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The initial height is not L cos(θ), unless you are measuring height downwards.
You do need to care about both velocity components at the point where the string goes slack. What you not care about is final velocities, so use the vertical SUVAT equation that does not involve final velocity. Time only matters to the extent that x and y must coincide with the peg at the same point in time.

Likes berkeman

1. How does the length of the pendulum affect the speed of the swing?

The length of the pendulum does not affect the speed of the swing, but it does affect the period (time for one complete swing) of the pendulum. A longer pendulum will have a longer period, while a shorter pendulum will have a shorter period.

2. What factors affect the accuracy of the pendulum hitting the peg?

The accuracy of the pendulum hitting the peg is affected by several factors such as the length of the pendulum, the angle of release, and the position of the peg. The longer the pendulum, the more accurate the swing will be. A smaller angle of release and a closer position of the peg can also increase the accuracy of the pendulum hitting the peg.

3. How does the mass of the pendulum affect its swing?

The mass of the pendulum does not affect the swing of the pendulum, but it does affect the force of the swing. A heavier pendulum will have a greater force and momentum, which can result in a more powerful swing and potentially cause the pendulum to hit the peg harder.

4. How does the angle of release affect the trajectory of the pendulum?

The angle of release affects the trajectory of the pendulum by determining the initial direction of the swing. A larger angle of release will result in a wider swing, while a smaller angle of release will result in a narrower swing. The angle of release also affects the height at which the pendulum reaches at the end of the swing.

5. What is the purpose of using a peg in pendulum experiments?

The peg is used in pendulum experiments to provide a target for the pendulum to hit. This allows for more accurate measurements and observations of the motion and behavior of the pendulum. The peg also adds an element of challenge and precision to the experiment, making it more engaging and interesting for researchers and observers.