A Little Hypothetical For You to Answer

In summary, the statement presents a hypothetical scenario where two identical clones exist in separate environments and one suddenly dies. The question is posed if Clone A becomes Clone B in this situation. Some argue that they are the same person while others point out the flaw in the question itself, as one dying implies a difference between the two. Ultimately, it is a matter of personal belief and interpretation.
Avalon
Statement:
Only 2 conscious beings are alive in a universe. They are clones, exactly similar in every way down to the last atom, quantum fluctuation etc. Their names: Clone A and Clone B, to keep it logical they grow up in completely separate environments unbeknown to the fact the other one exists.

Clone A suddenly dies.

Clone A is not in existence, but Clone B is. Did Clone A become Clone B?

My Answer: Yes.

Your Answers:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would clone A become clone B?

Avalon said:
Why indeed.

:confused: But you said that your answer would be "clone A became clone B." I'm asking you why you think this.

I have given you my answer, please share with me yours.

Avalon said:
I have given you my answer, please share with me yours.

Fine: No.

cristo said:
Fine: No.

Share your reasoning then I will share mine.:smile:

There's a few things that bug me about this statement:

If they're exactly the same (atoms, quantum fluctuations, etc.) then wouldn't they be the same person to begin with?

If they were exactly the same wouldn't they try to murder each other at the same time?

Is it murder if there are only two people in the universe.

My answer to the question: No. Clone A is always Clone A, as Clone B is always Clone B. The molecules represented by Clone A are not destroyed when he is killed and they are certainly not replaced by Clone B.

My opinion of this question: Why the hell did I waste 5 minutes of my life reading and answering it :rolleyes:

redargon said:
There's a few things that bug me about this statement:

If they're exactly the same (atoms, quantum fluctuations, etc.) then wouldn't they be the same person to begin with?

If they were exactly the same wouldn't they try to murder each other at the same time?

Is it murder if there are only two people in the universe.

My answer to the question: No. Clone A is always Clone A, as Clone B is always Clone B. The molecules represented by Clone A are not destroyed when he is killed and they are certainly not replaced by Clone B.

My opinion of this question: Why the hell did I waste 5 minutes of my life reading and answering it :rolleyes:

I have changed it to make it more sensible. They grow up in different environments and they are not one person, they are clones ie. 2 different conscious beings with the exact same material composition. This one doesn't have any murder either, I will keep it non-violent :smile:

but then they'd grow to be different, if the environment were different in even the slightest, in which case, no.

if their environments were identical, on the other hand, and for the sake of argument *everything* about them is the exact same, then one would not die before the other. are they same person in that case? ... yes/no:

you could say yes, by some standards; but essentially no, because it is possible to put one in a different state than the other, simply by introducing some external factor to his identical environment and not doing the same to the world of the other guy.

but i think that's an essential flaw in the question itself.

one dying before the other implies a difference. if anything, you might say that at that point A and B turn into different people, actually-- for up till then hey were indistinguishable.

moe darklight said:
but then they'd grow to be different, if the environment were different in even the slightest, in which case, no.

if their environments were identical, on the other hand, and for the sake of argument *everything* about them is the exact same, then one would not die before the other. are they same person in that case? ... yes/no:

you could say yes, by some standards; but essentially no, because it is possible to put one in a different state than the other, simply by introducing some external factor to his identical environment and not doing the same to the world of the other guy.

but i think that's an essential flaw in the question itself.

one dying before the other implies a difference. if anything, you might say that at that point A and B turn into different people, actually-- for up till then hey were indistinguishable.

They are identical, environments identical except some being pops into existence and shoots Clone A, then pops back out of existence. There, are you happy now? By the way, you need to stop arguing the question and actually provide an answer and reasoning as to if you think Clone A becomes Clone B or not. There is nothing wrong with the hypothetical, I am saying they are the exact same material composition, it doesn't matter if their environment's differ if the fundamental personal identity is based on genes, which seems to be the most logical explanation according to science.

Deny this logic and I will happily change my answer.

Btw, they are already different people: one of them is not existing as the other.

It makes perfectly logical sense that upon the death of Clone A, Clone B is the only experiencer therefore Clone A becomes Clone B.

Last edited:
If they were in the same universe they would cease to be identical the moment after they are created. Just like cloned humans would (another words identical twins). Maybe a better posit is that they are in separate identical universes too? Anyway the answer is no in my opinion too.

If I have two identical casks of Amontillado and I put a body in one and then disintegrate it does a body appear in the other? :bugeye:

I have two one dollar bills in my wallet. I go and buy a soda with one of them. Does the second one become the first? No. Heck, the first one doesn't even cease to exist, it's just changed state a little.

This is a silly hypothetical.

Avalon said:
Statement:
Only 2 conscious beings are alive in a universe. They are clones, exactly similar in every way down to the last atom, quantum fluctuation etc.

I guess a much more interesting thing to ask in my opinion, is:
Will the clones share a common perception of consciousness if both clones are in existence?

I think it is hard to imagine how consciousness could be shared. But if it cannot be shared, why not? If consciousness is merely a perception of the brain, and both brains are perfectly identical then logically, it would follow that consciousness can be shared. Hmm...

Closed pending moderation.

Zz.

Related to A Little Hypothetical For You to Answer

1) What is the purpose of "A Little Hypothetical For You to Answer"?

The purpose of this hypothetical is to stimulate critical thinking and problem-solving skills by presenting a hypothetical scenario and asking for a logical and evidence-based response.

2) Can I use my personal beliefs or opinions in my response to this hypothetical?

Yes, you can use your personal beliefs or opinions as long as they are supported by evidence and reasoning in your response.

3) Is there a correct answer to this hypothetical?

No, there is no single correct answer to this hypothetical. The goal is to present a well-reasoned and logical response based on the information provided.

4) How is this hypothetical relevant to real-world situations?

This hypothetical is relevant to real-world situations because it challenges individuals to think critically and make informed decisions based on available information, which is a valuable skill in various fields such as science, law, and business.

5) Can I collaborate with others to answer this hypothetical?

Yes, collaboration is encouraged as it can lead to a more comprehensive and well-supported response. However, each individual should contribute their own unique perspective and reasoning to the answer.