Which music do you dislike the most?

I guess I have to find a way to listen to this kind of music now when I'm on a 24h duty. Thanks a lot for the tip!In summary, a poll was suggested to vote for a certain type of music to be banned, but many individuals expressed their disagreement with banning any type of music as all branches of musical expression have value. Some individuals also mentioned their personal preferences and dislikes for certain genres but acknowledged that it is a matter of personal taste and should not be regulated. Others shared their experiences with different types of music and how it affects them, with some even finding value in genres they initially disliked.

Which music do you dislike the most?

• Hip-hop

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Electronic Dance Music

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Renaissance Polyphony

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gregorian Chant

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Dixieland

• Baroque

• Classical

• Romantic

• Atonal

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • Country and Western

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Anything Lip-Synched

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Jazz

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Rhythm and Blues

• New Age

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Rock and Roll

• Heavy Metal

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • NONE - I appreciate all music

Votes: 15 21.1%

• Total voters
Buzz Bloom said:
BTW, left out are two other favorite categories of mine: Folk Music and Ballroom Dancing music.
Color me completely confused now. To clarify do you mean "music you dislike" as the thread title suggests or, as I think you intend, music you enjoy?

Since Folk includes the Mommas and the Pappas; Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young; Judy Garland and the great Woodie Guthrie and son Arlo among so much fantastic music, the question seems answered.

My experience with Ballroom Dancing consists of Grandma carrying-dancing me around the house while singing "Tennessee Waltz". When we include Stauss, another Like for Ballroom.

Science news on Phys.org
Klystron said:
Color me completely confused now. To clarify do you mean "music you dislike" as the thread title suggests or, as I think you intend, music you enjoy?

Since Folk includes the Mommas and the Pappas; Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young; Judy Garland and the great Woodie Guthrie and son Arlo among so much fantastic music, the question seems answered.

My experience with Ballroom Dancing consists of Grandma carrying-dancing me around the house while singing "Tennessee Waltz". When we include Stauss, another Like for Ballroom.
Hi Klystron:

On first reading I misread the topic as "like" "rather than dislike". I have since then changed my vote.

Folk and Ballroom are excluded from the list whether I like or dislike them.
My concept of "Folk" excludes all in your list (Mommas through Garland) except the Guthries, and it includes a great deal more. Joan Baez in one of my favorites. Your list I think is properly categorized as Pop.
Ballroom includes, in addition to foxtrot and waltz, also tango, cha-cha, samba, and rumba.

Also missing from the vote choice list is Folk Dance Music, such as reels, mazurkas, and hambos.

Also, Lip-Sync is not a form of music, it it is a form of presentation.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
Thanks Buzz. I have now progressed to Totally Confused. o_O

Klystron said:
Thanks Buzz. I have now progressed to Totally Confused. o_O
It started as a poll of dislike but is now about music we like. To get back on point I hated the 80s. Musically it was a decade of rubbish compared the 60s and 70s.

pinball1970 said:
It started as a poll of dislike but is now about music we like. To get back on point I hated the 80s. Musically it was a decade of rubbish compared the 60s and 70s.
The 80s weren't as stellar as the two decades leading up to it, but I wouldn't go so far to say it was rubbish. Steely Dan, Dire Straits, and The Police were still going strong, The Eurythmics and Kate Bush were off doing their eccentrically innovative things, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and the Pretenders were rocking it out, R.E.M. was too (although more softly), Allan Holdsworth was tearing it up on guitar, and the 80s marked the last two Beefheart albums while King's X and Radiohead were just getting started.

Likes DennisN
Asymptotic said:
The 80s weren't as stellar as the two decades leading up to it, but I wouldn't go so far to say it was rubbish. Steely Dan, Dire Straits, and The Police were still going strong, The Eurythmics and Kate Bush were off doing their eccentrically innovative things, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and the Pretenders were rocking it out, R.E.M. was too (although more softly), Allan Holdsworth was tearing it up on guitar, and the 80s marked the last two Beefheart albums while King's X and Radiohead were just getting started.
Yes but besides all that it was rubbish.
Ok perhaps not all rubbish, Kate Bush probably my number 3 after the Beatles and Deep Purple. Beatles the ultimate writers and creators and Purple the ultimate players.
The 80s had a cr*p sound, awful synth keys and the beautiful sound and power of John Bonham's bass drum was replaced by a wet paper bag of Simmonds.
Rap replaced Funk, Stock Aitkin and Waterman replaced ABBA 10CC and ELO. Manufactured artists replaced genuine talented writers and performers.
Even decent bands and artists like Genesis The Stones and Bowie started to make rubbish.
My sister dragged me to 3 Gigs in the 80s, Simply Red Funboy 3 and the Eurythmics. All painful.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Asymptotic and DennisN
Brother Pinball makes a powerful argument concerning commercial music and the industry. The adventure, innovation and exploration of Rock (popular music, if you insist) during the 1960-70's foundered against the imitative repetitious releases that followed during the 1980's. The exceptions tend to prove the rule. In general Art revived in the 1990's as it is won't to do.

I am terrible at placing the names of bands and music groups, even worse at assigning songs to musical genres so rarely discuss modern music but my pattern matching skills are decent enough to tell The Monkeys from The Beatles; Mozart from Bubblegum*.

*Listen to "The Future (Repent)" 1992 by Leonard Cohen.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970, Asymptotic and DennisN
pinball1970 said:
Rap replaced Funk, Stock Aitkin and Waterman replaced ABBA 10CC and ELO. Manufactured artists replaced genuine talented writers and performers.
You liked Abba and ELO? (I did).
pinball1970 said:
Even decent bands and artists like Genesis The Stones and Bowie started to make rubbish.
My sister dragged me to 3 Giggs in the 80s, Simply Red Funboy 3 and the Eurythmics. All painful.
Funny, but painful to hear :smile:. I loved Eurythmics and would have wanted to see them live.

How about U2, particularly The Joshua Tree (1987)? (example: Where The Streets Have No Name).
I've seen U2 live three times, two times during the Achtung Baby tour in the 90s. They were outstandingly good live.

Likes pinball1970 and Asymptotic
pinball1970 said:
The 80s had a cr*p sound, awful synth keys and the beautiful sound and power of John Bonham's bass drum was replaced by a wet paper bag of Simmonds.
I blame the 80s drum sound on two things:
1. The inadvertent discovery of gated reverb coupled with,
2. intentional overuse.

A useful technique, and a lot of worthwhile music featured it, but too much of anything is too much. It makes me think on what would have happened if every song had a foot waa-waa on the guitar, or was played through a talk box (which, for a short time with each, almost seemed so) except that it went on unabated for nearly a decade instead of a having a short duration faddish peak.

Musician/educator/producer Rick Beato put two clips up on Youtube I found interesting. The first is a nuts and bolts producers view of how Bonham's drum sound was achieved. The second quantizes snippets of two of his patterns in Protools to show what is lost when his humanity is ironed out of the beat.

What bugs me about today's pop (at least, the stuff in mass distribution) is it has been dehumanized to an extreme degree - squished by dynamic compression, chained to a grid, autotuned to within an inch of it's life, and reduced to four chords. For a humorous take on the latter, this 10 year old video still holds true today.

Likes pinball1970 and symbolipoint
Asymptotic said:
I blame the 80s drum sound on two things:
1. The inadvertent discovery of gated reverb coupled with,
2. intentional overuse.

A useful technique, and a lot of worthwhile music featured it, but too much of anything is too much. It makes me think on what would have happened if every song had a foot waa-waa on the guitar, or was played through a talk box (which, for a short time with each, almost seemed so) except that it went on unabated for nearly a decade instead of a having a short duration faddish peak.

Musician/educator/producer Rick Beato put two clips up on Youtube I found interesting. The first is a nuts and bolts producers view of how Bonham's drum sound was achieved. The second quantizes snippets of two of his patterns in Protools to show what is lost when his humanity is ironed out of the beat.

What bugs me about today's pop (at least, the stuff in mass distribution) is it has been dehumanized to an extreme degree - squished by dynamic compression, chained to a grid, autotuned to within an inch of it's life, and reduced to four chords. For a humorous take on the latter, this 10 year old video still holds true today.

Ha ha brilliant, my son sent me a link to these guys.
Beato does some good break downs including this on the bass drum (he calls it a kick drum which I hate)

Klystron said:
Brother Pinball makes a powerful argument concerning commercial music and the industry. The adventure, innovation and exploration of Rock (popular music, if you insist) during the 1960-70's foundered against the imitative repetitious releases that followed during the 1980's. The exceptions tend to prove the rule. In general Art revived in the 1990's as it is won't to do.

I am terrible at placing the names of bands and music groups, even worse at assigning songs to musical genres so rarely discuss modern music but my pattern matching skills are decent enough to tell The Monkeys from The Beatles; Mozart from Bubblegum*.

*Listen to "The Future (Repent)" 1992 by Leonard Cohen.
Yes, he does.

My take on it is a generational change in A&R. Old school A&R people were generally music lovers, but didn't know what to do when rock came around so a lot of different-sounding artists came to the fore, and the ones that ended up making the labels money remained on their roster. Musical experiments that didn't hit big may not have stayed on, but did seed the ground for future successes. I'm thinking about the MC5, who didn't have any hits, but in retrospect whose sound can be considered proto-punk.

As time went on, new faces in A&R became focused on the optimization of money-making without any regard to the musical aspects, found the coveted formula for success, and have become timid about trying anything different. If only immediately monetizable artists are signed, and no field is allowed to fallow, then from where will new sounds emerge?

Likes Klystron
Here is something I DISLIKE very strongly; but I do not know where or how it fits the survey:

Any popular artist performing someone else's popular piece of music, and doing their music badly or wrongly. I could be much more specific, but I will avoid so.

Likes pinball1970, Klystron and BillTre
symbolipoint said:
Any popular artist performing someone else's popular piece of music, and doing their music badly
With the exception of Boz Scaggs' Lido Shuffle---that was my personal barometer for live bands in the 70s---anyone who could NOT sound better than Boz was NOT worth the price of admission.

• Love
Likes pinball1970 and Klystron
Bystander said:
With the exception of Boz Scaggs' Lido Shuffle---that was my personal barometer for live bands in the 70s---anyone who could NOT sound better than Boz was NOT worth the price of admission.
I still have the single somewhere, love it.

DennisN said:
I like many styles and types of music, but I have preferences, of course. The style I like the least on the list is atonal, I don't enjoy it and it can even make me nervous or even annoyed :biggrin: (when I think atonal, I think mainly of atonal contemporary classical music). I'm also not very fond of ska, it is too fast and "jumpy" for me, and it makes me nervous.

Speaking of fast music, here's a guitar player that can play 999 bpm: :wideeyed:
(at 5 m 42 s it gets completely insane)

That was insane!
It was cartoon fast!

Likes DennisN
Greg Bernhardt said:
No music should be banned.
This is an old thread and your post is old, but I agree with what you said of course.
And I want to take the opportunity to post this song which is on topic: :smile:

Nothing But Thieves - Ban All the Music

Butt Rock!

(the phrase came from the radio station tag lines - “97.9 the whatever, nothing butt rock”
From urban dictionary:
(A popular term referring to a sub-genre of hard rock strongly influenced by post-grunge and nu metal. Originating in the mid-late 90s, butt rock is comprised of raspy vocals, similar to Pearl Jam, Creed, or Nirvana, backed with radio-friendly guitar riffs, drum beats, and basic bass lines.

Generally found on CBS owned radio stations across the Midwest, Great Plains, and Southwest, butt rock is overly commercialized, processed music that lacks innovation and creativity. Butt rock predominantly targets a demographic of blue collar workers, generally men 18-45, that drink cheap light beer, have a fascination with big trucks, avidly watch Monday Night Football, and are wannabe UFC fighters.

Women that listen to butt rock are usually huge fans of Guns N Roses, and are drawn to the sub-genre by the subconscious influence of corporate agenda, or out of sympathy for their significant other’s terrible local band.
Butt rock groups include Nickelback, Seether, Theory of a Deadman, 3 Doors Down, Breaking Benjamin, Staind, Puddle of Mudd, Three Days Grace, Five Finger Death Punch, amongst others.)

For a stab at a definition of art, I remember my own art history class: Art is the manipulation of material with the intent to elicit an aesthetic experience. Esthetic experiences are pre-rational, first experienced through the senses.