Which music do you dislike the most?

I guess I have to find a way to listen to this kind of music now when I'm on a 24h duty. Thanks a lot for the tip!In summary, a poll was suggested to vote for a certain type of music to be banned, but many individuals expressed their disagreement with banning any type of music as all branches of musical expression have value. Some individuals also mentioned their personal preferences and dislikes for certain genres but acknowledged that it is a matter of personal taste and should not be regulated. Others shared their experiences with different types of music and how it affects them, with some even finding value in genres they initially disliked.

Which music do you dislike the most?

• Hip-hop

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Electronic Dance Music

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Renaissance Polyphony

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gregorian Chant

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Dixieland

• Baroque

• Classical

• Romantic

• Atonal

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • Country and Western

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Anything Lip-Synched

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Jazz

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Rhythm and Blues

• New Age

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Rock and Roll

• Heavy Metal

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • NONE - I appreciate all music

Votes: 15 21.1%

• Total voters
I'm not sure how hippy-style this is, but it's from that era.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes pinball1970
Science news on Phys.org
I know that for some people this song is definitely in their top ten list. I found a really beautiful version.

Strange how this thread has morphed into people's favorite music rather than music people dislike. I guess the positive vibes have triumphed over the negative ones!

Likes pinball1970
Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
I know that for some people this song is definitely in their top ten list. I found a really beautiful version.

Strange how this thread has morphed into people's favorite music rather than music people dislike. I guess the positive vibes have triumphed over the negative ones!

Can you re-post the links? they cannot be displayed

Yes its hard for music to be negative for too long.

pinball1970 said:
Can you re-post the links? they cannot be displayed

Yes its hard for music to be negative for too long.

I see them from the USA. Is this one of those nation-specific issues? Has anyone else had this problem?

I have noticed recently a new problem with many Youtube videos. I can hear the audio, but the video does not display until I refresh my browser once or twice. Is this what you experience? Or do you get literally nothing?

I typically use Opera, so for me this could be the reason. I have lots of privacy settings on, including anti-popup settings. I am always getting notices from websites about how I should allow popups.

This need to refresh happens when I view directly on Youtube, so it is not something to do with PF.

Anyway I will be happy to find alternative videos tonight when I have more time.

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
I see them from the USA. Is this one of those nation-specific issues? Has anyone else had this problem?

I have noticed recently a new problem with many Youtube videos. I can hear the audio, but the video does not display until I refresh my browser once or twice. Is this what you experience? Or do you get literally nothing?

I typically use Opera, so for me this could be the reason. I have lots of privacy settings on, including anti-popup settings. I am always getting notices from websites about how I should allow popups.

This need to refresh happens when I view directly on Youtube, so it is not something to do with PF.

Anyway I will be happy to find alternative videos tonight when I have more time.

must have been my pc- now I can view them

I must admit I hated Limal Kagagoogo (I don't care if I've spelt it wrong) and the 80s as a decade of music, which brings us back on topic!

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
pinball1970 said:
must have been my pc- now I can view them

I must admit I hated Limal Kagagoogo (I don't care if I've spelt it wrong) and the 80s as a decade of music, which brings us back on topic!

Glad it works now. Many of us loved the movie and maybe that's why we also loved the song. I'm not ashamed of being a fan of the movie and the song. The movie has sentimental value for many of us.

I can't say that about much of the other 80s music. Still, there were some great moments, IMO.

Not to feed negativity, but I'm guessing you hate this song! LOL. I can't say it's my favorite either. But it's OK. It's kind of a cute song. Also, I think it has that somewhat sophisticated, almost a cool jazz-like feeling which some of the 80s music had.

Likes pinball1970
I might as well finish my music for the night with this one. It has some sentimental value for me, and I like to mention songs most people in the West probably never even heard of due to political boundaries. This song is not political, and I don't like such music in general. But there is some awesome music that is more romantic, and people don't know about it. Enjoy.

Hey, somewhere it must be morning already. So here's another song. I think everyone will like this one. Definitely one of the most talented groups from the 60s. If I could go back in the Tardis and be able to attend just one live 60s act, it would be Small Faces doing this kind of music. I much prefer them to the B*****s, S****s, etc. Love Me Don't. No, street fighting man, I won't guess your name, so please beat it.

P.S. actually I admit I don't think they were "one of the most talented groups from the 60s." IMO they were the most talented, in fact they were the quintessential rock and roll band of all time in my book. Just my opinion, ladies and gentlemen. Good night.

Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
Glad it works now. Many of us loved the movie and maybe that's why we also loved the song. I'm not ashamed of being a fan of the movie and the song. The movie has sentimental value for many of us.

I can't say that about much of the other 80s music. Still, there were some great moments, IMO.

Not to feed negativity, but I'm guessing you hate this song! LOL. I can't say it's my favorite either. But it's OK. It's kind of a cute song. Also, I think it has that somewhat sophisticated, almost a cool jazz-like feeling which some of the 80s music had.

The Bass is very good I’ll give you that.I also must admit that I do like the song “Never ending story,” too.You have to remember it was 1983 I was 15 and into Deep Purple, Focus, Yes, cool guys with long hair, great musicians and I turn on the TV to watch top of the pops and there are load of bands dressed like clowns, make up, ridiculous hair, horrible synth drums, no decent guitar or soloing. I felt so out of synch with the decade at time when you need to fit in.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
I might as well finish my music for the night with this one. It has some sentimental value for me, and I like to mention songs most people in the West probably never even heard of due to political boundaries. This song is not political, and I don't like such music in general. But there is some awesome music that is more romantic, and people don't know about it. Enjoy.

Hey, somewhere it must be morning already. So here's another song. I think everyone will like this one. Definitely one of the most talented groups from the 60s. If I could go back in the Tardis and be able to attend just one live 60s act, it would be Small Faces doing this kind of music. I much prefer them to the B*****s, S****s, etc. Love Me Don't. No, street fighting man, I won't guess your name, so please beat it.

P.S. actually I admit I don't think they were "one of the most talented groups from the 60s." IMO they were the most talented, in fact they were the quintessential rock and roll band of all time in my book. Just my opinion, ladies and gentlemen. Good night.

Disagree with some of your statements regarding the greatest band that ever was but agree that the S**** F**** were fab too.

More music I dislike.

I really hated this song and I mean hated it.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
pinball1970 said:
Disagree with some of your statements regarding the greatest band that ever was but agree that the S**** F**** were fab too.

More music I dislike.

I really hated this song and I mean hated it.

I never heard of this song before. I can't honestly say I hate it. But it does nothing for me, and in fact it does irritate me.

I thought of a song I really dislike. I don't even want to link to it. "Just a Gigolo" sung by David Lee Roth. It's not that I dislike him, he is actually great in some songs. It's the song itself I can't stand.

Another example is "Hot for Teacher." Yeah, I really despise that song.

When I was a lonely young American boy living in a shabby apartment building somewhere in Asia, I would listen to this song and it cheered me up. I did go up on the roof and spend some time just looking around and wondering what the **** I was doing there, when I should be back home finishing middle school with my friends. At least I had the music to remind me of home. It was not the first or the last time music had a role in keeping me more or less sane.

Likes davenn and pinball1970
The awesomeness just speaks for itself. Have a good night, ladies and gentlemen. I need to pause now and see more of other people's videos.

DennisN said:
Some hip-hop I like:

Grandmaster Flash: The Message
- early influential hip-hop from 1982

Beastie Boys - Sabotage (Live on David Letterman, 1994)
(edit: though they are more a crossover between rap and rock)
- darn, this is so intense and "in your face", one chord only and I remember being blown away by it when it was released, I've always loved that song...

Eminem - Lose Yourself
- I think this is a very suggestive track

Thanks for posting the music with lyrics. Check this out.

[EDIT I realized the video by "bishop" Bullwinkel contains some language that needlessly offends many people so I removed it. ]

Ok last one, I can't resist, since you posted some old skool I must post this one.

Likes DennisN
Aufbauwerk 2045 said:
Thanks for posting the music with lyrics. Check this out. The video is awesome.

I really hesitated before posting this. But I think it's not "religious" in any conventional sense. It's basically a man telling it like it is about what he sees every day. More than 11 million views! When I say I dislike hip-hop, I'm thinking of the mainstream stuff with its violent and obscene spirit. If it's about telling it like it is with some love, then I'm all for

<<moderator : link removed >>

The Eminem track is just brilliant- everything about it.

...and I don't like rap!

BWV said:
Here is someone that could have used autotune

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Foster_Jenkins
Florence Foster Jenkins (born Narcissa Florence Foster; July 19, 1868 – November 26, 1944) was an American socialite and amateur soprano who was known and mocked for her flamboyant performance costumes and notably poor singing ability. The historian Stephen Pile ranked her "the world's worst opera singer". "No one, before or since," he wrote, "has succeeded in liberating themselves quite so completely from the shackles of musical notation."[1]

Despite (or perhaps because of) her technical incompetence, she became a prominent musical cult figure in New York City during the 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s. Cole Porter, Gian Carlo Menotti, Lily Pons, Sir Thomas Beecham, and other celebrities were fans.[2][3] Enrico Caruso is said to have "regarded her with affection and respect".[4] The poet William Meredith wrote that what Jenkins provided "... was never exactly an aesthetic experience, or only to the degree that an early Christian among the lions provided aesthetic experience; it was chiefly immolatory, and Madame Jenkins was always eaten, in the end."[5]

I just saw a very professional analysis of Jenkins performance made by a voice teacher, and I thought of this PF thread :smile:.
The analysis is much more professional than can usually be seen in singing competitions on TV :wink:.

Likes BWV
The poll results look interesting in that
Renaissance Polyphony
Baroque
Classical
Romantic

didn't receive any votes; the least "disliked".

I can appreciate that classical wouldn't receive any dislike votes, and well the other three what kind of music is that?

nitsuj said:
Renaissance Polyphony
Baroque
Classical
Romantic

I can appreciate that classical wouldn't receive any dislike votes, and well the other three what kind of music is that?

I'd consider them to all be subsets of "Classical". I'm no musical expert though, but the poll wasn't limited to musical experts, so others may be thinking the same?

Classical means two things in Western music - both the entire tradition of which all those are components and more specifically music from the rough period of 1750 (commonly held to be the end of the baroque period) through the deaths of Beethoven and Schubert in 1827-28. The Romantic period followed

Likes pinball1970, Asymptotic and DennisN
NTL2009 said:
I'd consider them to all be subsets of "Classical". I'm no musical expert though, but the poll wasn't limited to musical experts, so others may be thinking the same?
As far as I know, they are. Classical music is a general term but within it is the classical period which includes e.g. Mozart.
EDIT: @BWV was faster than me. :smile: Maybe he has as fast fingers as Bach?

Likes pinball1970
nitsuj said:
Renaissance Polyphony
Baroque
Classical
Romantic

I'll happily reply with examples since I like this kind of music:

Renaissance Polyphony:
Palestrina - Missa Papae Marcelli - Kyrie

Baroque:
Telemann - Concerto in E major, Allegro

Bach - Cello Suite No.1 in G

Classical:
Mozart - Symphony 40 - Molto Allegro

Romantic:
Tchaikovsky - Marche Slave

Likes pinball1970 and nitsuj
DennisN said:
I'll happily reply with examples since I like this kind of music:

But... you didn't include ?? ..:frown:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/An_der_sch%C3%B6nen_blauen_Donau.ogg ...

OCR said:
But... you didn't include ?? ..:frown:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/An_der_sch%C3%B6nen_blauen_Donau.ogg ...
Sorry :smile:. There is a lot of classical music I could have chosen. For instance, I wanted to use Beethoven, but his style is as far as I know overlapping both the classical and romantic era.

Last edited:
Classical Music is too various, so trying to say it is or is not what one "dislikes the most" does not work for everyone.

Likes Asymptotic
If I had to choose a musical genre that I "dislike the most", I would have to pick Country and Western music, since I'm generally not fond of most Country/Western music (especially the "New Country" subgenre). That being said, there a few select musicians in that genre that I do like/appreciate -- for example, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton.

Beyond that, I'm generally appreciative of pretty much all musical genres, although again there are specific musicians that I like or dislike.

DennisN said:
Sorry :smile:. There is a lot of classical music I could have chosen. For instance, I wanted to use Beethoven, but his style is as far as I know overlapping both the classical and romantic era.
Love the Bach cello piece you posted, that's been used so many times in films

Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
Love the Bach cello piece you posted, that's been used so many times in films

same here pinball, I think one of the tv shows is Stranger Things? I may be confusing it with the movie Flatliners.

This thread has touched against minimalism many times. Simplicity and minimizing has entered music many times in several forms such as diminished chords, sostenuto, and dissipative harmonics where the musician might even inhibit the primary while allowing lower harmonics to linger between attacks. Fade and diminished ring tone are important aspects of music often overlooked by their very nature. Try ringing a large meditation bell or gong. The initial strike is jarring, possibly unpleasant. The resultant persistent harmonics pervade the space and people around the bell.

The example of an empty room holding only a light switch becomes art to me when windows allow natural or artificial light to enter the space. As the Earth rotates and/or timers cue the light to grow then diminish our minds furnish the nearly empty space. Minimalism works best as contrast, a comparison of busy forms with the simple and sublime.

I experienced light-switch-rooms at MoMa in NYC and Museum of Fine Arts in San Francisco. In the former an atrium with natural light was being refurbished. The docents allowed visitor access during the day as a way to relax and clear the mind for the next exhibits, mostly color field paintings. If I had encountered simple color fields after viewing Miro or Kandinsky (or Turner or Goya), mono or dichromatic paintings would seem dull. After the restful "empty" room filled by light, even a pale green canvas spoke words.

The latter installation in SF changed over the life of the exhibit; the oversized movable dummy switch a statement perhaps to the powerlessness of the individual in our technological age. That room led to a sculpture garden and a cafe, if memory serves.

Likes pinball1970 and newbiegirl
I looked at the poll and see values significant and values which are tiny or zero. I notice Heavy Metal as significant in value for what polled members dislike. Understandable! The forms are apparent but the sound quality is abrasive and abrupt. Also maybe too loud. Some of these heavy metal musics, including and/or especially that of AC/DC, have been arranged into solo Piano versions. Those versions could be suddenly very appealing to many people. Try a search on YouTube for use of keywords "piano" and "ACDC" and see what interesting listed returns are found and play some of them.

Likes Klystron
symbolipoint said:
I looked at the poll and see values significant and values which are tiny or zero. I notice Heavy Metal as significant in value for what polled members dislike. Understandable! The forms are apparent but the sound quality is abrasive and abrupt. Also maybe too loud. Some of these heavy metal musics, including and/or especially that of AC/DC, have been arranged into solo Piano versions. Those versions could be suddenly very appealing to many people. Try a search on YouTube for use of keywords "piano" and "ACDC" and see what interesting listed returns are found and play some of them.

Funny you consider AC/DC as a heavy metal band, as I don't think of them as belonging to that category. I've always considered AC/DC to be a classic rock band along the lines of the Who or the Rolling Stones, with elements of 70s and 80s pop mixed in.

Heavy metal for me would be bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, or Black Sabbath.

Likes Asymptotic
StatGuy2000 said:
Funny you consider AC/DC as a heavy metal band, as I don't think of them as belonging to that category. I've always considered AC/DC to be a classic rock band along the lines of the Who or the Rolling Stones, with elements of 70s and 80s pop mixed in.

Heavy metal for me would be bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, or Black Sabbath.
I miscategorized them. Same qualitative statement I made was still intended. If I would have substituted "heavy metal" with "Black Sabbath" in my 'piano' comment, this would have fit better what I wanted to say. Included as an addition would be such as ACDC, whose music some of which when arranged for solo piano, sounds still very very good and could appeal to listeners who would otherwise not like hearing ACDC band itself.

• Informative
Likes Klystron
StatGuy2000 said:

Right - ACDC's music shows the blues-based rock-and-roll forms very well and my misategorization was based on something else. Maybe the abrasiveness, distortion, and loudness.

Likes Klystron
newbiegirl said:
same here pinball, I think one of the tv shows is Stranger Things? I may be confusing it with the movie Flatliners.
No seen that, House was one where I saw/heard that particular piece. A very moving scene and you should watch it. I won't spoil it, I think it's season 6

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
It is hard to define what metal is, everyone always mentions Sabbath but their first album had blues and Jazz on it. I am still surprised it's this high in the poll.

BTW, left out are two other favorite categories of mine: Folk Music and Ballroom Dancing music.

Likes DennisN