Which music do you dislike the most?

I guess I have to find a way to listen to this kind of music now when I'm on a 24h duty. Thanks a lot for the tip!In summary, a poll was suggested to vote for a certain type of music to be banned, but many individuals expressed their disagreement with banning any type of music as all branches of musical expression have value. Some individuals also mentioned their personal preferences and dislikes for certain genres but acknowledged that it is a matter of personal taste and should not be regulated. Others shared their experiences with different types of music and how it affects them, with some even finding value in genres they initially disliked.

Which music do you dislike the most?

• Hip-hop

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • Electronic Dance Music

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Renaissance Polyphony

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gregorian Chant

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Dixieland

• Baroque

• Classical

• Romantic

• Atonal

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • Country and Western

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Anything Lip-Synched

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Jazz

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Rhythm and Blues

• New Age

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Rock and Roll

• Heavy Metal

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • NONE - I appreciate all music

Votes: 15 21.1%

• Total voters
At 3:00 minute on the video still no sound. I lost patience.

Science news on Phys.org
The Sound of Silence.

Sorry. Too hard to resist.

Likes Asymptotic and pinball1970
I read many threads on here but I only post on the music threads...on physics forums. That says a lot about my understanding of science.

Having said and avoiding the, "what is music question" I would like to bring this very interesting thread back on topic.

I detest punk. I hated it when it came out I hated all the players, the sound, the image, all the followers, the clothes, the media coverage and ridiculous interviews.

Still hate it.

BWV said:
what is the difference between 'sound' and 'music'?

Contradicting myself I am going to have a stab at this because I have liked some of your other music posts.

Music are the notes, sound is the notes plus the timbre that accompanies the notes and the reason why an upright piano middle C, sounds different to an upright playing the same note.

I like how the great musician vocalist and philosopher Ian Fraser Kilmister answered the question, "what is music?" He answered, "Noise."

A quick look at the survey and have a few things to ask
Renaissance polyphony has no down votes because I don't think anyone knows what it is. (including me)
I am very disappointed that 16% have voted for heavy metal. This is a very broad term that covers a host of different bands and styles.
Deep purple could be called the first "heavy metal" band at a push or you could say metal started post purple /Zep in 1980
UFO Saxon Iron Maiden Motor head Kiss so why the down votes? Zero in there?

pinball1970 said:
I read many threads on here but I only post on the music threads...on physics forums. That says a lot about my understanding of science.

Having said and avoiding the, "what is music question" I would like to bring this very interesting thread back on topic.

I detest punk. I hated it when it came out I hated all the players, the sound, the image, all the followers, the clothes, the media coverage and ridiculous interviews.

Still hate it.

Me too, as a general rule. But I think it was an important movement in music. Some punk bands had songs that were accessible to non-punk fans. For example, The Clash, The Ramones, Green Day (they're sort of punk). Also, punk had a big influence on new wave groups, including Blondie, Talking Heads, The Cure, etc.

A lot of iconoclastic movements in music and art aren't appreciated in the early days except by aficionados, but then those aficionados go on to adapt the movements in more accessible ways, until it becomes the new mainstream, and you need another iconoclastic movement to rebel against it.

Likes Asymptotic
Regarding punk I think I only really like Iggy Pop, if I remember correctly.
I think Ramones are pretty fun, but I never enjoyed Clash. I think Green Day are ok but not more than that. All subjective, of course :smile:.

I really like these two songs with Iggy Pop:

Edit: Oh, shame on me, I forgot "The Passenger", which I think is a really good song.

Last edited:
Likes Asymptotic and BillTre
Patti Smith is often called a punk artist (when she first became known).
I think she is great, but I not sure everyone would call her punk.

I tend to think of these things (opinions on music and such) in more of a positive sense rather than negative.
Take what appeals to you. Ignore the rest.

Likes DennisN, Asymptotic and BWV
pinball1970 said:
...Music are the notes, sound is the notes plus the timbre that accompanies the notes and the reason why an upright piano middle C, sounds different to an upright playing the same note.
You must have been trying to say something different there. Maybe one of the "upright" was supposed to be something else. If you mean that one upright piano has something different in sound quality from another upright piano, then I understand (and maybe so do other people).

Likes pinball1970
stevendaryl said:
A lot of iconoclastic movements in music and art aren't appreciated in the early days except by aficionados, but then those aficionados go on to adapt the movements in more accessible ways, until it becomes the new mainstream, and you need another iconoclastic movement to rebel against it.
Indeed!

And it's a fun exercise to pick a point in the musicological taxonomy, and explore from whence it came, and to where it led. Pete Townsend influenced me, and he in turn picked up the guitar after hearing Link Wray's Rumble. Go to 1971's Scorpio Woman from the album "Mordicai Jones", and Wray is welding together a strange alloy of hillbilly blues with a Hendrixian twist. Slide back to an early '60's track that wasn't contemporaneously released (Street Fighter, on the 1997 album, "Missing Links, Vol. 4") and you'll hear one of the first instances of controlled guitar feedback.

Wray recorded a version of Rawhide, which had been popularized by Frankie Laine, and The Blues Brothers make their own at Bob's Country Bunker. One of Mike Nesmith's first published songs was Pretty Little Princess, recorded by Frankie Laine, and a step along the road to The Monkees, and later to the beginnings of country rock with the First National Bank and Nesmith's early solo albums.

Roll With The Flow is from "And The Hits Just Keep on Coming" ; an entire album performed solely by Nesmith and pedal steel player Red Rhodes. I'd assumed it was a synth, but the iconic line in the chorus of Seals & Croft's Summer Breeze is actually played by Red. Go sideways, and learn that a pedal steel in the hands and feet of a master isn't relegated exclusively to the C&W genre. Does Lunar Nova fall into the bin marked 'jazz', is it 'prog rock', or something else?

BillTre said:
I have heard about her, but I haven't listened much to her music. That song you posted reminded me of PJ Harvey, who has a good bunch of songs where she goes wild with the vocals. Here are two songs by her: youtube link.

Edit: I am a big, big fan of PJ Harvey, but I did not know about her influences, so I checked them out on Wikipedia, and then I stumbled upon this short article:
Article said:
Although the musician has frequently been compared to fellow female punk-rocker Patti Smith, Harvey claims she hadn’t heard of Smith until the comparison and dismisses the comments as lazy journalism. Smith, however, has admitted that Harvey’s recent single, ‘The Words That Maketh Murder’, “makes me happy to exist.”
:smile:

Last edited:
Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and BillTre
symbolipoint said:
You must have been trying to say something different there. Maybe one of the "upright" was supposed to be something else. If you mean that one upright piano has something different in sound quality from another upright piano, then I understand (and maybe so do other people).

Yes you are right I am always missing words out or something, always in a rush.

Upright verses grand piano I think I meant to say

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
BillTre said:

I tend to think of these things (opinions on music and such) in more of a positive sense rather than negative.
Take what appeals to you. Ignore the rest.

"Because the night" is not punk, she looks a little punky but that song is a great track written by Springsteen and is melodic, guitar solo, sung well good production etc etc everything punk does not have or ever wanted to entertain.

A lot of scientists on this site get quite irate hearing some of the same pop science misconceptions I feel like that and felt like that about certain types of music.

Especially when I know that youngsters are hearing it thinking there is some value in it.

There is nothing positive about feelings of loathing, its part of being human.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
stevendaryl said:

Late 70s early 80s was an interesting period, post punk new wave and some of the players adopted elements of punk in their look but not much else.

Gary Newman (Tubeway army) Blondie the Stranglers. Besides some bleached hair slightly aggressive style/ image it is very far from punk, some great stuff.

Listen to the organ in "get a grip on yourself," (Stranglers) it sounds like Rick Wakeman warming up.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
Some of that old school punk is just brilliant

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
I hate heavy metal...it's so irritating!

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
waternohitter said:
I hate heavy metal...it's so irritating!

Please define heavy metal and also specify what it is that irritates you. I am interested.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and symbolipoint
What’s not to like? This is awesome

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
pinball1970 said:
Please define heavy metal and also specify what it is that irritates you. I am interested.

I'm sorry, I find it too heavy on the ears.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
waternohitter said:
I'm sorry, I find it too heavy on the ears.

You can always turn the volume down?

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
BWV said:
As a classical music geek, there is nothing I hate worse than cheesy pop lite-classical crap like

or

thought you were shaming the piece itself lol

I couldn't tell you the diff between written music and the sound of the piece though that first one sounded bad compared to the second one.

I find a big part of enjoying "classical" music is finding good recordings, conveying the dynamic range must be tricky.

What part of classical music does a self proclaimed classical music geek enjoy?

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
pinball1970 said:
You can always turn the volume down?
Well yeah, but that is unfair on the neighbours,
They will have to find something else to complain about.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
nitsuj said:
thought you were shaming the piece itself lol

Hell no, its a masterpiece, desecrated by cheesy strings
What part of classical music does a self proclaimed classical music geek enjoy?

Well there is this

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
pinball1970 said:
A quick look at the survey and have a few things to ask
Renaissance polyphony has no down votes because I don't think anyone knows what it is. (including me)
I am very disappointed that 16% have voted for heavy metal. This is a very broad term that covers a host of different bands and styles.
Deep purple could be called the first "heavy metal" band at a push or you could say metal started post purple /Zep in 1980
UFO Saxon Iron Maiden Motor head Kiss so why the down votes? Zero in there?

I suppose two heroes of Renaissance polyphony are Palestrina in Italy and Tallis in England. There must be others, but I am not familiar with all of them.

Most of the examples I know are religious music. I think music majors in general would know about this style, because the most important music textbook ever written is Gradus Ad Parnassum by Johannes Fux. This textbook teaches the polyphonic method of Palestrina, using the modal system as opposed to the modern chord-based system. The Gradus was studied by Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven, among others. There is an English translation, but unfortunately the only one I know about is the Alfred Mann version, which is somewhat abridged.

The Gradus is in dialogue form. The teacher represents the Palestrina school, and the student is learning how to compose. It is quite readable.

From a physics of music standpoint, the theoretical part of tones and scales is very interesting. The Pythagoreans studied the mathematics of musical intervals and realized the importance of ratios such as 2:1 for the octave. But we do not always use pure ratios in music these days. That's a long and interesting story.

Likes BWV and pinball1970
BWV said:
Some of that old school punk is just brilliant

LOL I posted the same video of California Uber Alles earlier and then deleted it because I was worried the use of a certain symbol would be offensive. But I wanted a version with the lyrics, since it's hard to understand them sometimes. That's a pity because the lyrics are brilliant. Anyway, it's a brilliant song which tells the truth about a state I know all too well. I left when I could because I felt so uncool around all those cool people. :)

One of the best lines from that era: "I don't want freedom of choice, I want freedom from choice." Was that Devo? Not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes BWV
pinball1970 said:

Maybe it is only contemporary heavy metal someone does not like?

How about this in contrast to present day metal?

But Black Sabbath is not for everyone. I like alternatives. I can't listen to much metal. Once in a while, when I'm in the mood for it, it's great. But I never get tired of the following.

Or how about this? How can someone not like this?

Last one for now. Procul Harum, for those who are unfamiliar, are most famous for A Whiter Shade of Pale.

Likes pinball1970 and BWV
I love Sabbath, no other band from that era holds up as well.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045
BWV said:
I love Sabbath, no other band from that era holds up as well.

Not Led Zep or Purple?

pinball1970 said:
Not Led Zep or Purple?

Like both bands, but neither band was as original or influential. Zep’s blues stuff can be cringeworthy and DP was a follower - they doing hippie crap when Sabbath’s was making their first albums then moved to harder sound after it became popular

I was searching for linear programming developments at Riga U. and totally by accident I came across this video. I have no freaking idea how that happened. Anyway, it seems like heavy metal, so here it is. Or is it glamor rock? Sometimes I can't tell the difference. Besides being fantastic music, it's an awesome fact that the year of this concert is 1988, still deep in the bowels of the evil empire. One fascinating fact about Latvia and also Lithuania is that their languages are the last European survivors of a very ancient language which is related to Sanskrit. Riga, the capital of Latvia, was for a time the second most important city in the Swedish empire. In the Middle Ages, it was an important city in the Hanseatic League.

Here's another classic for all the kids who need to be aware of their precious musical heritage. It helps me get through math and physics programming, I hope it does the same for others. It's the full 17 minute version. Far out, man!

BWV said:
Like both bands, but neither band was as original or influential. Zep’s blues stuff can be cringeworthy and DP was a follower - they doing hippie crap when Sabbath’s was making their first albums then moved to harder sound after it became popular

Hippy crap! I must protest. "In Rock" Deep Purple and Black Sabbath (1st Album) were recorded pretty much at the same time between Oct 69 and early 1970.

Purple had already been blowing away audiences away with stuff like this a full year before.

Likes BWV and Aufbauwerk 2045
The modern "pop music" is what I dislike the most ..I don't know what else I can call it. Soulless, bland, boring, predictable.

pinball1970 said:
Hippy crap! I must protest. "In Rock" Deep Purple and Black Sabbath (1st Album) were recorded pretty much at the same time between Oct 69 and early 1970.

Purple had already been blowing away audiences away with stuff like this a full year before.

OK will take part of that back, was thinking Book of Talisman was contemporary with Sabbath I. But Sabbath never recorded a pretentious album with the London Symphony Orchestra, so they win on that

BWV said:
OK will take part of that back, was thinking Book of Talisman was contemporary with Sabbath I. But Sabbath never recorded a pretentious album with the London Symphony Orchestra, so they win on that
It was 1969, the era of experimentation, creativity & innovation.
Being a Purple nut I, had the album and bought the video when it came out in the 80s. It was the first time I had seen the MK 2 line up ever so I loved every minute.
I play drums and my only disappointment with the whole thing was that they edited part of the drum solo out!
At a later date my partner studied music at Uni and she wrote to Malcolm Arnold (he had not been knighted then) regarding the work as he conducted it.
He wrote back with some advice, as far as I know she still has the letter. A very nice gentleman.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045