What's the source of power of wizard in the Potter universe?

In summary: Interesting. Were they hostile to science in general or just if anyone tried to apply it to their beliefs in unscientific things, or were they just indifferent to it in general, believing it to be irrelevant?@phindsIt was not relevant to them. At all.
DHF said:
Fair enough, I just fin it fascinating that he chose to excel in mathematics, pretty much the poster child for logic and yet was able to keep his faith separate. To each his own, as long as you don't hurt anyone, believe what you want. I just find it really interesting that he could keep two radically different idea sets at the same time.

I was raised catholic, I was never taught evolution by my family, creation was the only explanation given to me. When I discovered evolution later on, it just made sense.

No large human-created-and-used system is perfect. You take what you can use and disregard the rest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fervent Freyja said:
If a Muggle shows signs of magic, then either the gene was dormant and skipped generations, or somebody is lying (they were adopted or the mother cheated).

Perhaps the father cheated?

"How does that work?", I hear you ask. Magic, duh!

DHF said:
I was raised catholic, I was never taught evolution by my family, creation was the only explanation given to me. When I discovered evolution later on, it just made sense.
Darwinian Evolution is a good story. Provably wrong, but it just makes sense.

(Genetic drift, cross species DNA transfer, variable mutation rates, etc. all disprove strict Darwinian Evolution. So no, I'm not a young earther. Modern Evolutionary Synthesis is a far cry from Darwin's original hypothesis.)

"It just makes sense" isn't a much better argument than the literal acceptance of 2500 year old parables, IMO.

So far, everyone's been talking about either the storage devices or conduits for the magic. Anyone have any ideas from whence the magic comes in order to get into the blood or wand?

Likes ComplexVar89
DaveC426913 said:
So far, everyone's been talking about either the storage devices or conduits for the magic. Anyone have any ideas from whence the magic comes in order to get into the blood or wand?
Magic is about emergent patterns. Specifically it's about emergent patterns in the human brain that don't quite fit reality. The patterns are usually useful for some purposes and not useful for others. Between the two groups is a grey area where they might seem useful but aren't in reality.

But because they seem useful, they leave holes which can be exploited.

For example we might dream of special powers that let us acquire money. This can motivate us to get up and go to work. Or it can motivate us to dream of breaking into Gringots or worse actually rob a real bank. So on one side of the pattern there's a useful industriousness and on the other greed and violence. But between them is a magical world of imagination. In this grey area our mental defenses are weak.

From our excess fantasies, and through these weakly defended grey areas a form of imaginary power seeps. That power seeps into blood and wands fueling our hopes for the heroes and fears of the villains.

Jeff Rosenbury said:
From our excess fantasies, and through these weakly defended grey areas a form of imaginary power seeps. That power seeps into blood and wands fueling our hopes for the heroes and fears of the villains.

... and from this emanates a bolt of plasma that could atomize a trolleycar?

DaveC426913 said:
Exactly. :wink:

DaveC426913 said:

Happens all the time. But more usually to a trollcar.

Likes DaveC426913
i think potter and all were taking hard core drugs and seeing things with no noses

According to Arthur C. Clarke's third law, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic...so obviously the source of wizard power is sufficiently advanced technology...I'm guessing it was handed down from space wizards who lived a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Likes AaronK, James Holland and ComplexVar89
Fervent Freyja said:
Can you elaborate further on why the source of power could be “sometimes no” in the bloodlines?

The Wizard gene is dominant, whereas Muggle genes are recessive. If a Muggle shows signs of magic, then either the gene was dormant and skipped generations, or somebody is lying (they were adopted or the mother cheated). You cannot transform a Muggle into a Wizard. I think that the controversy was centered more around purity and power, but the magic had to originate in the bloodlines to even begin that feud.
In that case Muggles would have Wizard blood. The Courts trying "fake wizards" claimed they had no Wizard blood. The Wizarding world would have had ways to detect Wizard blood in people, the issue had been critical to them for centuries.

Megaquark said:
According to Arthur C. Clarke's third law, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic...so obviously the source of wizard power is sufficiently advanced technology...I'm guessing it was handed down from space wizards who lived a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.
He also said, with some degree of exasperation, that he didn't mean the advanced technology WAS magic.

Likes DaveC426913
Noisy Rhysling said:
In that case Muggles would have Wizard blood. The Courts trying "fake wizards" claimed they had no Wizard blood. The Wizarding world would have had ways to detect Wizard blood in people, the issue had been critical to them for centuries.

Ways of detecting active Wizard genes in muggles had been limited. They did not have a way to determine what people around the world were unwittingly showing signs of magic in public. Most believed that exposure of the Wizarding world to the Muggle world would be the end of them all- their fear was that they would be hunted down by the Muggles. But, the elitist Wizards believed that breeding with their own kind would lessen the occurrence of that threat and protect the magical world. Those that disagreed with their agenda and continued risking exposure were marked for removal. Rowling based this aspect mainly around Nazi Germany...

Is that picture from your earlier years? How old are you really? I would get a kick of out my Grandpa reading Harry Potter...

Fervent Freyja said:
Is that picture from your earlier years? How old are you really? I would get a kick of out my Grandpa reading Harry Potter..

If I'm not mistaken Ma'am Noisy uses the cadet photo of Robert Anson Heinlein as his Avatar. I seem to remember it from Heinlein's biography.

Likes Fervent Freyja
Fervent Freyja said:
Ways of detecting active Wizard genes in muggles had been limited. They did not have a way to determine what people around the world were unwittingly showing signs of magic in public. Most believed that exposure of the Wizarding world to the Muggle world would be the end of them all- their fear was that they would be hunted down by the Muggles. But, the elitist Wizards believed that breeding with their own kind would lessen the occurrence of that threat and protect the magical world. Those that disagreed with their agenda and continued risking exposure were marked for removal. Rowling based this aspect mainly around Nazi Germany...

Is that picture from your earlier years? How old are you really? I would get a kick of out my Grandpa reading Harry Potter...
I was born in 1951.

Khatti said:
If I'm not mistaken Ma'am Noisy uses the cadet photo of Robert Anson Heinlein as his Avatar. I seem to remember it from Heinlein's biography.
Spot on. But I'm not a Ma'am.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
Noisy Rhysling said:
Spot on. But I'm not a Ma'am.

I was referring to Freyja, not you.

Likes Fervent Freyja
Khatti said:
I was referring to Freyja, not you.
My corn was fully fused.

Noisy Rhysling said:
My corn was fully fused.

Happens to the best of us.During my carpentry period there were days when I just couldn't read a tape measure. Some days when I write I find it appalling what ends up on the page.

Noisy Rhysling said:
I was born in 1951.

Near my fathers age. Still a good playing range...

Fervent Freyja said:
Near my fathers age. Still a good playing range...
My wife was going to be a children's librarian and required I read the first book so she could have someone to argue about it with. I was hooked on Philospher's Stone. After that we ordered copies of new releases two at a time so we wouldn't have to wait for the other to finish reading. (She was working full time and going to school part time, so she had less time to read than I did, but she didn't want to have to fight me for the book when she had free time.

/TMI

Noisy Rhysling said:
My wife was going to be a children's librarian and required I read the first book so she could have someone to argue about it with. I was hooked on Philospher's Stone. After that we ordered copies of new releases two at a time so we wouldn't have to wait for the other to finish reading. (She was working full time and going to school part time, so she had less time to read than I did, but she didn't want to have to fight me for the book when she had free time.

/TMI

That is sweet! Did you guys stand in line at the bookstore together waiting hours for the new releases? I stayed overnight by the door with my friends for one release in my teens.

Nothing is TMI for me...

Never stood in line. Too lazy.

I'm a LotR guy.

HP came along too late for me to get caught up in it. I could tell parts that were precious to fans but didn't do much for me.

(It was so adorable when a 30-something co-worker said, with surprise: "Wait - Lord of the Rings was a book first? And it's how old??")

Khatti said:
And outstanding example of how not using proper punctuation can lead to confusion. With a comma after "Ma'am" there is no ambiguity.

phinds said:
And outstanding example of how not using proper punctuation can lead to confusion. With a comma after "Ma'am" there is no ambiguity.

Thanks Mom.

I understand that there is a study out linking fussy concern with penmanship to sociopathology. You haven't read it, have you.

Likes Fervent Freyja
Khatti said:
Thanks Mom.

I understand that there is a study out linking fussy concern with penmanship to sociopathology. You haven't read it, have you.
Dont' need to. I am one.

Likes Fervent Freyja
phinds said:
Dont' need to. I am one

Well...as long as you know.

It did confuse me.

Noisy Rhysling said:
It did confuse me.

Yeah I can see why. It was an oversight. Normally I would have caught that. My...relationship with Phinds predates you. I suppose I'll be hearing from Evo again soon.

I grew up on Indiana, where English still hasn't made many inroads. Follow that with 20 years in the USN and my language skils are ... exotic ... in normal usage.

phinds said:
Eats shoots and leaves. :)

Noisy Rhysling said:
I grew up on Indiana, where English still hasn't made many inroads. Follow that with 20 years in the USN and my language skils are ... exotic ... in normal usage.

This has nothing to do with you Sir. Don't worry about it.

DaveC426913 said:
I'm a LotR guy.

HP came along too late for me to get caught up in it. I could tell parts that were precious to fans but didn't do much for me.

(It was so adorable when a 30-something co-worker said, with surprise: "Wait - Lord of the Rings was a book first? And it's how old??")

Well, that's okay, I have felt the same way about Star Wars and Star Trek, I didn't have an interest to watch or know about it. And I'm not going to do so just because they are suddenly now this new hype- that annoys me.

Though, I did enjoy Tolkien, which was not an easy read with all the background and technical aspects to keep up with.

Fervent Freyja said:
Well, that's okay, I have felt the same way about Star Wars and Star Trek,
It should be taught in schools.

I weep for the future. :cry:

:biggrin:

Likes Fervent Freyja and ComplexVar89