What are some lesser-known sci-fi comics worth checking out?

sbrothy
Gold Member
I sincerely recommend this comic:

Wiki link to Universal War One.

There are sites where you can read it for free. I'll let you find those yourself (or crazy thought: you could actually buy it!). Using the free sites you'll need a serious add-blocker, Also you'll want to load whole comics as opposed to individual pages.

EDIT: Just saw that wiki says an action movie has been announced with a $40 million budget. It's probably in development hell.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So what kind of SciFi story would be of interest to physics forum members? Universal War One's summary describes a wall blocking the outer solar system. That's hard to picture. Should I post web comics that I think people here would like? I'm guessing everyone here already knows about XKCD.

I'm somewhat of a "graphic novel" geek. I mostly recommend esoteric stuff. Not mainstream stuff like XKCD, OOTS etc. There's a trend though - new or not - that films seem to start as "graphic novels". I seriously almost enjoy a "comic" more than a film.

One has to be aware of Sturgeon's Law though.

I could seriously write a list of about 100 comics I'd suspect that most users of this forum would enjoy.

Xkcd is mainstream?

In my world it kinda is, yes.

And I realize that doesn't really make sense. :)

It's pretty funny though, and very "engineery". :P

I was afraid of creating too much noise in here but since not much is going on I think I'll show what I consider "non-mainstream", or esoteric if you will:

Ghost Cage.

I'm guessing you'll either find this one charming or vacous.

----

This one creates a believable, albeit weird, world 25 minutes into the future in a parallel universe. It kinda comments eerily on the current situation in the Middle East.

Giga.

----

And as long as I'm recommending a story written by Alex Paknadel I might as well point out another one of his:

Arcadia.

And if you want really really dark, distatefully funny stuff, any comic by Jhonen Vasquez (Jhonny the Homocidal Maniac, Squee), who someone, for whatever extremely obscure reason thought it would be smart to employ to create a children's cartoon (Invader Zim) will probably do.

Incidentally, In Invader Zim, Professor Membrane is voiced by Rodger Bumpass. One cannot make this stuff up. Although is someone could it would probably be Jhonen Vasquez.
Enjoy.

Likes difalcojr

1. What are some underrated sci-fi comics that offer unique storytelling?

Comics like "Saga" by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples are well-known, but lesser-known gems include "The Incal" by Alejandro Jodorowsky and Moebius, which offers a complex, visually stunning universe. Another is "Orbital" by Sylvain Runberg and Serge Pellé, known for its intricate diplomacy and alien cultures. "Trillium" by Jeff Lemire is also notable for its innovative narrative structure and deep emotional engagement.

2. Can you recommend any sci-fi comics with strong female lead characters?

"Paper Girls" by Brian K. Vaughan and Cliff Chiang features a group of girls from the 1980s who become entangled in a time-travel conflict. "Alex + Ada" by Jonathan Luna and Sarah Vaughn explores themes of AI and consciousness through the eyes of Ada, an android. Another notable mention is "Mirror" by Emma Ríos and Hwei Lim, which focuses on the life of a sentient android exploring her identity.

3. Are there any sci-fi comics that blend genres or have unusual themes?

"East of West" by Jonathan Hickman and Nick Dragotta combines science fiction with elements of the Western and apocalyptic themes, set in a dystopian America. "Descender" by Jeff Lemire and Dustin Nguyen merges sci-fi with a touching story of a young robot boy in a universe where androids are outlawed. "Black Science" by Rick Remender and Matteo Scalera offers a dark, pulp adventure through alternate dimensions.

4. What are some sci-fi comics that focus on space exploration or alien encounters?

"Fear Agent" by Rick Remender and Tony Moore provides a thrilling narrative about a rugged space adventurer dealing with personal demons and alien threats. "Letter 44" by Charles Soule and Alberto Jiménez Alburquerque revolves around a secret space mission sent to investigate an alien construction project in the asteroid belt. "Southern Cross" by Becky Cloonan and Andy Belanger is a mystery set on a space freighter traveling to Jupiter’s moon.

5. Are there any visually striking sci-fi comics that emphasize art as much as story?

"Low" by Rick Remender and Greg Tocchini features lush, underwater cities in a future where the sun's expansion has made the Earth's surface uninhabitable, showcasing stunning artwork. "Monstress" by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda, although more of a dark fantasy, includes sci-fi elements and is renowned for its intricate, beautiful art that complements its complex tale.