The Martian Movie - Survival Thriller

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Film
In summary, the film is superficial and badly dumbed down. This is especially jarring when you consider what made the book it's based on so much fun.
Drakkith said:
It's not just a matter of withstanding the atmosphere, it's a matter of doing so without weighing several hundred tons or more.
This being the sci-fi forum... We first put a space station to Venus orbit. It captures space rock to build the sub, which is lowered to the surface.

Two things working for this story: (1) thick atmosphere acts as a brake on descent, something the Russians counted on when they landed probes. (2) Surface pressure causes CO2 to liqidify, turning the entire surface into something of an ocean. Or at least a shallow sea.

Physics news on Phys.org
EnumaElish said:
This being the sci-fi forum... We first put a space station to Venus orbit. It captures space rock to build the sub, which is lowered to the surface.

You'd need a rock with all the required minerals needed to build the sub, along with facilities to process all of the ore, forge everything, assemble it, etc. Or a transporter/replicator.

EnumaElish said:
(2) Surface pressure causes CO2 to liqidify, turning the entire surface into something of an ocean. Or at least a shallow sea.

Well, I suppose we could modify the gravitational constant of gravity in the local area of Venus...

Noisy Rhysling said:
Navy chow would work too, I think.

No need for probes and subs. Just slather it all over the astronauts' suits and they'd be just fine.

Noisy Rhysling said:
The IRIS probe exploded because they cut corners on the testing, not because Goddard didn't know what he was talking about.
Yes, they were hurrying and they blew it, no difference in my alternate scenario. In real life this reckless behavior exists as well, it's what caused the Columbia Disaster.
Noisy Rhysling said:
Lewis had the time to try to recover Watney if they went to 60 days in your scenario. As I said, it's "dead", not "missing" that would make them leave without looking for him.
Ah, but that's just it. We're talking about a movie script. If the script states "it is impossible to move that much rock in the time we have to recover his body," then that's it. The script would also state "there is no known way to reach him." In the story he may survive against the odds, still undetectable because of his destroyed biosensor and reach the Martian surface through a previously undiscovered route (maybe something that opened up for the 1st time after the original cave in.) But since this scenario revolves around a movie script, plausibility is integrated with a fictional narrative. We could discuss it further, but it really boils down to "they could dig him out." "No they couldn't."
"Yes they could."
The only stalemate-breaker there is the imaginary script and I'll put an evil robot in there if I have to... don't make me... :)
The idea of going all out to safeguard the lives and/or dead bodies of space explorers is also not consistent with real life. They wrote 2 speeches for the first Apollo Moon landing, one if they were successful, another if they were stranded on the Moon. The stranded speech did not state "hey, we're comin' to get you, hang tight! No man left behind! Rescue mission time!" It was a "nice knowin' ya" speech. Could they have had a rescue mission in place? Of course, you run a parallel project at another facility. They had plenty of cash and time to construct redundant nuke silos all over the country for years, a fraction of that could have paid for an Apollo beta program. Just a matter of money and material, but they chose to spend on doomsday weapons instead of rescuing stranded explorers on the Moon.
If they had been unable to talk Apollo 13 through their problems I doubt very much that NASA would've launched a retrieval mission to track the ship down and get their frozen bodies. The "aw, shucks" response would've come into play if 13 had burned up. Again, a rescue mission would've been theoretically possible, it's a 4 day trip after all. But it's never even considered - either they get back on their own ship or not at all.
Decades later they had a chance to save the Columbia crew, but chose not to because they were in a hurry, cheap and reckless. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Columbia_disaster#Investigation
This kind of cut-our-losses NASA culture doesn't bode well for a Watney. It's all academic anyway, NASA these days is in the unmanned probe business, not the sending people to space business.
Noisy Rhysling said:
As for the Venus probe, that was the Taiyang Shen's original mission.
1) Doesn't make it a good idea. After all, these same Chinese pollute on such a catastrophic scale they might as well be breathing in a Venusian atmosphere already. What is the real gain in going to Venus anyway, other than watching Watney be crushed, melt and burn all at the same time?
2) There is only ONE Venus probe - the covered golf cart that chased Steve Austin, the Six Million Dollar Man. Now there's a space probe, my friends! It has a circular saw arm (very practical for Venus exploration) and sounds like a clogged Hoover vacuum cleaner. Who remembers this marvel of Soviet technology? Anyone?
1536622_10152158720277236_718955556_n.jpg

Gotta love the fellow attempting to gun it down. Hilarious.

Okay then.

Likes Rubidium_71
Not sure if this was brought up before, but can someone explain why Watney's habitat blew up when he entered the airlock?

Drakkith said:
Not sure if this was brought up before, but can someone explain why Watney's habitat blew up when he entered the airlock?
Simple wear and tear? I just thought that the original mission didn't require an airlock that could withstand several years of use.

Borg said:
Simple wear and tear? I just thought that the original mission didn't require an airlock that could withstand several years of use.

That was my thought, but I didn't know if I'd missed something and there was another explanation.

Too many cycles on that airlock. He had two, but that was the convenient one. Remember, the HAB was designed for a 30-day mission.