Reviews for Dune - Is the Sci-Fi Book Worth Reading?

• Thread starter RBelisle
  • Start date
In summary, Dune is a highly acclaimed Sci-Fi book that has mixed reviews. Some consider it the best Sci-Fi work they've ever read, while others find it boring and hard to finish. It has a complex plot and requires patience to fully appreciate its subtleties and connections. The movie adaptation is considered inaccurate and not a good representation of the book. Overall, it is recommended to give the book a chance and see if it appeals to the reader as opinions on it vary greatly.
RBelisle
I recently picked up the Sci-Fi book Dune from the library.
Out of curiousity, I'd just like to know what anyone who read it thought of it.

I'd rather not start a book and become bored a few hundred pages in.

Physics news on Phys.org
One of my favorites. YMMV.

RBelisle said:

Dune (and it's 5 sequels) is the best SciFi work I've ever read. Its certainly not for anyone, if you enjoy SF which reads like an action movie don't read it.

And Btw, only the original books written by Frank Herbert are cool. The ones written by his son with Anderson are pretty much not worth the paper on which they are printed.

RBelisle said:

Meh. First book is okay. The second a lot less so. I don't think I actually finished the third.

Plots probably a little more relevant now, though. Local "freedom fighters" on a planet that provides the "fuel" for interstellar travel wage jihad against the evil colonialists. Well, except for an exclusive handful of colonialists that defect, join,and lead the freedom fighters.

Avatar is a lot more entertaining.

DanP said:
Its certainly not for anyone, if you enjoy SF which reads like an action movie don't read it.

BobG said:
Meh.
Avatar is a lot more entertaining.

Dune is a very good series in my opinion, but as DanP said, and BobG demonstrated, 'If you enjoy SF which reads like an action movie, don't read it.'

And take heed of this:
And Btw, only the original books written by Frank Herbert are cool. The ones written by his son with Anderson are pretty much not worth the paper on which they are printed.

As a stand-alone novel, Dune is unsurpassed, IMO. Take your time and don't try to blast through it. There are subtleties and lots of tenuous connections that pull the whole thing together, so savor it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVZkV2LA3yA

BobG said:
I don't think I actually finished the third.
I liked the 3nd, thought it had some nice fluffy gooeyness, but I gave up on the 4th.

I actually like the Sci-Fi channel mini-series better than the books.

You might want to watch the movie, and THEN read the novel, which is really ***-backwards from the way I approach most books that are brought to film. At least that way (if you have a short attention span) you'll know whether you want do dedicate the time that you really need to appreciate the novel.

turbo-1 said:
You might want to watch the movie, and THEN read the novel, which is really ***-backwards from the way I approach most books that are brought to film. At least that way (if you have a short attention span) you'll know whether you want do dedicate the time that you really need to appreciate the novel.

The movie is inaccurate to the book (the mini-serie running on SciFi was better, the Lynch movie is a far cry from Dune).

Besides, watching the movie wouldn't show him the true charm of Dune story, the awesome attention to detail Herbert put in it. In a word, he would miss the whole world Herbert created.
IMO, of course.

DanP said:
The movie is inaccurate to the book (the mini-serie running on SciFi was better, the Lynch movie is a far cry from Dune).

Besides, watching the movie wouldn't show him the true charm of Dune story, the awesome attention to detail Herbert put in it. In a word, he would miss the whole world Herbert created.
IMO, of course.
I agree. The novel was fantastic. The movie was a pale imitation. The problem is that we have a person asking if the novel is any good. The answer should be obvious, but even somebody who has a passing familiarity with the Dune move should be able to ramp up some interest in the book.

Read it! One of my top 5 books of all time. It's sooooooo epic you absolutely have to read it!Edit: don't watch the movie that's crazy talk :)

Phyisab**** said:
Edit: don't watch the movie that's crazy talk :)
You watch the movie for the awesomely amazing awfulness of it. It's pure sci-fi camp badness.

If you want something to get you interested in the books, I vote for the mini-series. It's why I decided to read the books in the first place. It's full of pretty eye-candy and generally stays true to the story, while downplaying the military/tech stuff. On the other hand, if you like minute details on desert water filtration systems, the book's totally your speed.

It's one of my favorite Sci Fi novels!

Dune defines good science fiction. In a world full of B-Movie quality science fiction novels. Dune stands on its own.

However, you won't know if it's for you unless you give it a shot. I can only tell you what I think, not what you think.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it!

My take on Dune is that only people who are Dune fans are Dune fans. That's not quite as recursive as it sounds. Put another way, if you don't know if you will like Dune, you probably won't.

Caveat: I haven't attempted the book. If if bears any relation whatsoever the movie, it'll bore me to tears.

The first book is fantastic. The sequels pretty much suck.

I started the first book three times over the last three decades. For some reason, it never hooked me. And the movie didn't help. I saw it when it was first released, and all I remember is Sting yelling "I will kill him!"

Chi Meson said:
I started the first book three times over the last three decades. For some reason, it never hooked me. And the movie didn't help. I saw it when it was first released, and all I remember is Sting yelling "I will kill him!"

Agreed, except for the 3 decades part haha. It never hooked me either, although I liked the mini-series. I prefer "The Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan or "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss for sci-fi. They're closer to "The Lord of the Rings" than "Dune" though...

Kronos5253 said:
I prefer "The Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan or "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss for sci-fi. They're closer to "The Lord of the Rings" than "Dune" though...

All those are more heroic fantasy than SciFi. Maybe you dig this more than SciFi. I love Dune. And for movies, nothing beats for me Star Wars :P

Related to Reviews for Dune - Is the Sci-Fi Book Worth Reading?

What is the plot of Dune?

The plot of Dune follows the story of Paul Atreides, the son of a noble family who is tasked with overseeing the desert planet Arrakis, the only source of a valuable substance called "spice." As Paul navigates the treacherous political landscape of Arrakis, he discovers his own powers and becomes embroiled in a rebellion against the corrupt leadership.

What makes Dune a notable science fiction book?

Dune is considered a landmark science fiction novel for its intricate world-building, political commentary, and exploration of themes such as ecology, religion, and human potential. It also introduced many new concepts and technologies that have become staples in the genre.

Is Dune a difficult read?

Dune can be challenging for some readers due to its complex plot and extensive use of invented terminology. However, the story and characters are compelling, and many readers find the book to be a rewarding and enjoyable read.

What are some common criticisms of Dune?

Some readers have criticized Dune for its portrayal of women and its use of characters based on Middle Eastern and Asian cultures. Others feel that the book's pacing is slow and that the ending is unsatisfying. However, these criticisms are subjective, and many readers still consider Dune to be a masterpiece.

Is Dune worth reading?

Ultimately, whether or not Dune is worth reading depends on personal preferences and tastes. However, the book has a large and dedicated fan base and is widely considered a must-read for any science fiction enthusiast. If you enjoy complex world-building, political intrigue, and thought-provoking themes, then Dune is definitely worth reading.