Are Stephen Coonts' Saucer Series Books Worth Reading?

gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I recently picked up Stephen Coonts, "Saucer" at a public library book sale. Have just finished it, a very fast read 340 pages. In another thread I learned:
jrmichler said:
If you start a thread there, I could reply and say that the two following books, Saucer - The Conquest and Saucer - Savage Planet are also good reads. But, since this is the Feedback Forum, I did not say that because I do not want to hijack this thread. :smile:
I had no idea that this is a three-book series. I suppose now I will have to find the other two books.

It is a good example of allowing the reader's suspension of disbelief full reign, that is, not overcomplicating the story by trying to rationalize the propulsion mechanism.

Physics news on Phys.org
gmax137 said:
It is a good example of allowing the reader's suspension of disbelief full reign, that is, not overcomplicating the story by trying to rationalize the propulsion mechanism.
Oh yes, calculating the physics of solar power electrolyzing water from the nearest lake to use in a hydrogen-oxygen rocket engine that has a high enough impulse to make Earth orbit is a real stretch. It is a plausible explanation for how something buried for 140,000 years can still function, which is sufficient for the important part of the story.

Likes gmax137
I was just thinking about this series the other day while at Half Price Books and couldn't remember the author. I read the first and second books years ago, but was unaware of the third.

I think I need to go looking for them in earnest again. 😏

But Coonts is not even a real SF author, so what do you expect?

gmax137 said:
I recently picked up Stephen Coonts, "Saucer" at a public library book sale. Have just finished it, a very fast read 340 pages. In another thread I learned:

I had no idea that this is a three-book series. I suppose now I will have to find the other two books.

I have just finished Baxter's "The Thousand Earths" and am set to buy my next eBook.

What is the ratio of Coontz's "Saucer" in terms of politics and spies to science fiction adventure?

BWV said:
But Coonts is not even a real SF author, so what do you expect?
Truth. Dude got started with "Flight of the Intruder", iirc. (Damn good book, okay movie.)

1. Are Stephen Coonts' Saucer Series Books based on real events?

No, the Saucer Series books are fictional and not based on real events. However, they do incorporate elements of science and technology that are based on real theories and advancements.

2. What is the reading level of Stephen Coonts' Saucer Series Books?

The Saucer Series books are classified as adult fiction and are generally recommended for readers ages 18 and up. They may contain mature themes and language.

3. How many books are in Stephen Coonts' Saucer Series?

There are currently four books in the Saucer Series: "Saucer," "Saucer: The Conquest," "Saucer: Savage Planet," and "Saucer: The Return."

4. Are Stephen Coonts' Saucer Series Books standalone or do they need to be read in order?

While each book in the Saucer Series can be read as a standalone, they do follow a chronological order and reading them in order may enhance the overall reading experience.

5. Are Stephen Coonts' Saucer Series Books appropriate for all ages?

The Saucer Series books may contain violence, language, and mature themes that may not be suitable for all ages. Parents and guardians should use their discretion when allowing younger readers to read these books.