The Man from Earth | A Sci-Fi Masterpiece by Jerome Bixby

In summary, Bixby's son finished the story after his father's death. It is available for streaming now on Amazon.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
One of my absolute favorite sci-fi movies, it is entirely dialogue driven and a wonderfully fun story; so much so that I hate to give anything away. I read that the author Jerome Bixby, worked on the story for many years and died before it was finished. Luckily his son stepped up and finished his father's masterpiece.

It is available for streaming now on Amazon
An impromptu goodbye party for Professor John Oldman becomes a mysterious interrogation after the retiring scholar reveals to his colleagues he has a longer and stranger past than they can imagine.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077N4M7PQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Bixby had one heck of a resume, including work on a good number of Star Trek books and the original Twilight Zone series
https://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?833

Likes difalcojr and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
including work on a good number of Star Trek books
And four episodes of the original series, including Requiem for Methuselah.

Likes BillTre and Ivan Seeking
Yeah, it is one of my favs also. I was just thinking yesterday how I would like to see it again.

I also remember a conversation with his son who said how that movie had a long gestation period because studios wanted it to have expensive recreations of the past to which Bixby refused.

Likes Ivan Seeking
Tiger Blood said:
Yeah, it is one of my favs also. I was just thinking yesterday how I would like to see it again.

I also remember a conversation with his son who said how that movie had a long gestation period because studios wanted it to have expensive recreations of the past to which Bixby refused.
Cool. I'm glad Bixby insisted. It is perfect they way it is [not including some of the acting :)].

Did you know they made a sequel? The Man From Earth - Holocene. Honestly I watched it way back but don't remember much. So it must not have made a significant impression. I need to rewatch it.

1. What is the premise of "The Man from Earth"?

The premise of "The Man from Earth" follows the story of a man named John Oldman who claims to be a prehistoric immortal. He reveals his secret to a group of colleagues, leading to a thought-provoking discussion on the nature of humanity and the concept of immortality.

2. Who is the author of "The Man from Earth"?

"The Man from Earth" was written by Jerome Bixby, a science fiction writer and screenwriter known for his work on popular sci-fi TV shows and films such as "Star Trek" and "The Twilight Zone".

3. Is "The Man from Earth" based on a true story?

No, "The Man from Earth" is a work of fiction. However, the film is based on a screenplay written by Jerome Bixby in the 1960s, which was later adapted into a novel by his son, Emerson Bixby.

4. What makes "The Man from Earth" a sci-fi masterpiece?

"The Man from Earth" is considered a sci-fi masterpiece due to its thought-provoking and philosophical exploration of the concept of immortality and the human condition. It also features minimalistic yet powerful storytelling, engaging dialogue, and a captivating plot twist.

5. Are there any sequels or spin-offs to "The Man from Earth"?

No, there are currently no official sequels or spin-offs to "The Man from Earth". However, there have been discussions and plans for a possible sequel or TV series based on the film, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

Back