Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

In summary: I love it and the clip finishes with a great quote:In summary, these threads are all about the beauty and awesomeness of our Universe. If you feel like it, please share video clips and photos (or nice animations) of space and objects in space in this thread. Your posts, clips and photos may by all means include scientific information; that does not make it less beautiful to me (n.b. the posts must of course comply with the PF guidelines, i.e. regarding science, only mainstream science is allowed, fringe/pseudoscience is not allowed).
  • #1,086
But I found in standard phone camera (Huawei P30 lite) with mode PRO is possible this adjusting as well..
:smile: o_O

Likes DennisN and chemisttree
Astronomy news on Phys.org
  • #1,087
I found when uploading the last 1080p video of the moon to youtube at 1080p, a lot of compression was added by youtube. I’ve found compression drops considerably if you first upscale the 1080p to 4k and then upload (but it can take youtube more than a day to process the 4k version), which I’ve done here:

1080p -> 4k (less youtube compression):

1080p original (more youtube compression):

Likes DennisN
  • #1,088
Devin-M said:
I should be receiving a 2x teleconverter + equatorial mount in a few days.
chemisttree said:
Definitely going to be cloudy on that fine day!

my equatorial mount comes on the 25th which happens to coincide with the only suitable day for observing this week (according to clearoutside.com )...
4382D3C3-4A7B-4D19-A06C-8CBFC0F21798.jpeg

• #1,089
Devin-M said:
my equatorial mount comes on the 25th which happens to coincide with the only suitable day for observing this week (according to clearoutside.com )...
yeah but the Moon is very bright washing out the rest of the sky :wink:

• #1,090
5D8841D0-A03C-447B-B4E5-A8E38FA53AF8.jpeg

3A205310-F469-4297-8A9E-28345637B957.jpeg

Likes davenn, DennisN, Keith_McClary and 1 other person
  • #1,091
Looks like 6 more weeks of winter...

• Haha
Likes collinsmark
  • #1,092
finally some results... about 33 mins of exposure time... flame nebula...

55x focal 600mm f/9 (nikon 300mm f/4.5 + tc-301 2x teleconverter, image cropped) 30 sec 1600iso + 80 flats + 40 darks on nikon d800 full frame dslr w/ sky watcher star adventurer 2i pro pack equatorial mount, bortle 5

DSC_8236-Mean Min Hor Noise-4_cropped.jpg

4890974-1.jpeg

4890974.jpeg

3352546.png

3352546-1.png

3352546-2.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes collinsmark, Andy Resnick, DennisN and 2 others
  • #1,093
Devin-M said:
finally some results... about 33 mins of exposure time... flame nebula...

55x focal 600mm f/9 (nikon 300mm f/4.5 + tc-301 2x teleconverter, image cropped) 30 sec 1600iso + 80 flats + 40 darks on nikon d800 full frame dslr w/ sky watcher star adventurer 2i pro pack equatorial mount, bortle 5

View attachment 276904

Horsehead is in there too! Use a narrowband LP filter and the contrast will go up nicely. Very impressive!

Likes davenn
  • #1,094
Almost a throwaway pic since I was aiming for a different (missed) target, it was only 300mm focal, and had a street light shining directly onto the lens so the overall pic is ruined from artifacts, and only 11 total minutes and only 30 sec per shot, but still it's a galaxy 131 million light years away...

ngc 3549 - spiral galaxy - 131 million light years

cropped 22x 30sec 250iso f/4.5 300mm nikon on nikon d800 full frame dslr, bortle 5, equatorial mount + 40 darks + 40 flats

DSC_8105-Mean-2.jpg

4894608.jpeg

4894608-1.jpeg

3355578.png

3355578-1.png

3355578-2.png

IMG_4044.jpg

Likes chemisttree
  • #1,095
another galaxy cropped from the same image frame, ngc 3448, amorphous galaxy, 75 million light years:

DSC_8105-Mean-3.jpg

4894647.jpeg

4894647-1.jpeg

3355613.png

3355613-1.png

3355613-2.png

• Wow
Likes chemisttree and Keith_McClary
  • #1,096
another from the last session... 17.5 minutes / 30 sec per shot, also overall full frame mostly ruined by a street lamp shining on the lens

messier 101 - pinwheel galaxy - 21 million light years

cropped 35x 30sec 250iso f/4.5 300mm nikon on nikon d800 full frame dslr, bortle 5, equatorial mount + 40 darks + 40 flats

DSC_8146-Dark Median-2.jpg

4896441.jpeg

4896441-1.jpeg

3357123.png

3357123-1.png

3357123-2.png

8E53D913-9794-4BA2-A35F-A80F61A2095A.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes chemisttree and Keith_McClary
  • #1,097
Devin-M said:
finally some results...
Seems you didnt have too much difficulty getting it polar aligned
It's a nightmare here in the southern hemisphere, something I have yet to achieve well

• #1,098
Tue, Wed & Fri are expected to be clear moonless nights in Northern California so I’ll be heading to a bortle 2 area and aiming to get a few dozen 2-4 min exposures instead of 30 sec and upping the focal length to 1000mm f/10.

6E95F3A2-A156-4CB0-BE46-D01339744475.jpeg

Last edited:
Likes chemisttree, davenn and Keith_McClary
  • #1,099
davenn said:
Seems you didnt have too much difficulty getting it polar aligned
It's a nightmare here in the southern hemisphere, something I have yet to achieve well
30 s subs are pretty straightforward. 2-4 minute subs without guiding will be more of a challenge.

I’ve been using this with some success but even with the software to help polar align, 2 minute subs are a challenge!
ABD893E9-3B22-4034-B3B1-1F5AA38DBA34.jpeg

With this I don’t need a computer to take pics with the Astro camera (ASI290MC). I use my iPhone!
Still figuring out how to use it...Here’s a single sub from my Astrotech 80ED, 30s.
3156581D-4F80-40EE-924F-BDB6D92BEC5B.jpeg

Likes collinsmark, DennisN and davenn
  • #1,100
Hello, can I ask you if this device is working just with mount with engine drive or you can use it without as well? Thank you... :smile: o_O

• #1,101
It just controls the camera. It is separate from the mount.

• #1,102
chemisttree said:
It just controls the camera. It is separate from the mount.
Just to avoid confusion, the ASIAIR Pro can control the mount, depending on the mount (even if @chemisttree isn't using that feature). It also has the ability to control an electronic focuser, if you happen to have an electronic focuser (and depending on the focuser [it may only support the ZWO EAF, presently]).

------------------------

My solution is a little different. It's not as graceful, but a bit more flexible. It's based around a mini-PC.

PXL_20201007_225150767.jpg

It also functions to some degree as a counterweight.

• Love
  • #1,103
Thanks, still question--if connected to mount and a I (handy) move its, it can display azimuthal position and polar aligment.. :smile: :thumbup:?

• #1,104
bruha said:
Thanks, still question--if connected to mount and a I (handy) move its, it can display azimuthal position and polar aligment.. :smile: :thumbup:?
I'm not quite sure what you are asking. But I'll take a stab at an answer.

If you ever adjust your mount using manual controls, then no. Neither the mount or the device that is controlling the mount will know what the azimuth, altitude, declination, or right ascension are, once you change anything with the physical, manual controls. All bets are off, and you'll need to re-align your mount.

If you have a mount that is capable of being controlled electronically (such as a GoTo mount), you'll first need to align your mount. Then lock down the manual controls (if you haven't already). Once the mount is aligned (and the manual controls locked down), the mount and/or the device controlling the mount should be able to keep track of the azimuth, altitude, declination, and right ascension so long as they are only adjusted electronically by "slewing," tracking, and/or autoguiding, assuming the mount is capable of such things.

That said, a device such as the ASIAIR Pro, or something like my setup (a mini-PC running Windows 10 and such programs as SharpCap, N.I.N.A., Stellarium, etc.) can* aid in both polar alignment and stellar alignment. But once aligned, you can't touch the manual controls or move your mount/tripod. If you do, you'll need to start over.

*perhaps a better word is "may": The mount and device controlling it need to be compatible.

[Edit: Modern controllers (ASIAIR Pro included) have capabilities that make alignment much quicker and easier such as "plate solving" tools. If you ever loose alignment, they can help get you back aligned in a jiffy. My original point though is that if you ever adjust anything manually, you'll lose alignment and you'll need to re-align, whether that involves plate solving or not.]

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • #1,105
I haven’t used it it with my Atlas. Mine is too old! It works with the new EQ-6 mount, though.
So I only use it to control the camera. A new EQ-6 is on my bucket list!

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,106
collinsmark said:
My solution is a little different. It's not as graceful, but a bit more flexible. It's based around a mini-PC.
It's so nice to see that I am not the only one who likes to build stuff. :biggrin:
What kind of mini-PC is it`? And what OS is it running on?
Edit: Ah, I saw in your next post it uses Windows 10.

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,107
DennisN said:
It's so nice to see that I am not the only one who likes to build stuff. :biggrin:
What kind of mini-PC is it`? And what OS is it running on?
Edit: Ah, I saw in your next post it uses Windows 10.
The mini-PC is from a company called "Minis Forum" (weird name, right?). I bought the one I got because it's small, light, powered by a 12 V jack, has USB3.0 ports, supports WiFi, and comes installed with Windows 10 Pro. There might be other mini-PCs or PC sticks that do just as well or better these days.

The Windows 10 Pro, combined with the WiFi support, allows me to Remote Desktop into the scope from a indoor, comfortable location.

It's also fits neatly atop the Pegasus Astro Ultimate Power Box V2 which provides power to the mini-PC, telescope, electronic focuser, camera cooler, and dew heaters; and also has USB 3.0 hub with plenty of ports.

I'm still waiting on some other astronomical equipment, and working on some other projects, which is why you haven't seen any deep-sky images from me recently. Hopefully in the coming months I'll have something to post.

Likes chemisttree and DennisN
  • #1,108
Hello, and thank you for answer . (I understand that this device is not as useful for not electronically controlled mounth.).. :smile: :frown:

Likes collinsmark and chemisttree
  • #1,109
Last night I drove 40 miles into the mountains to my bortle 2 site, got polar aligned and began trying to focus. That’s when I realized the motor in my “star watcher star adventurer 2i pro pack” equatorial mount was randomly stopping every minute or so and also disconnecting from the phone app until I restarted it (even though the lights remained on). This kept happening so I wasn’t able to get a good focus with the Bahtinov mask. After pulling my hair out for over an hour in the 32f temps, I finally decided to try switching the AA batteries. To my relief, it began working normally. The batteries had been fresh but stored them in the mount for a week so I suspect some sort of trickle discharge over that time occurred. As soon as I got it working the clouds rolled in so I wasn’t able to take any pretty pictures. Later back at my house I did some more testing and found out the behavior will also happen if the camera isn’t very well balanced after pointing it at the target. I’ll post a couple test pics later which sort of illustrate the tracking quality. I was able to do a few 2 minute exposures of nothing in particular.

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark and chemisttree
  • #1,110
Devin-M said:
Last night I drove 40 miles into the mountains to my bortle 2 site, got polar aligned and began trying to focus. That’s when I realized the motor in my “star watcher star adventurer 2i pro pack” equatorial mount was randomly stopping every minute or so and also disconnecting from the phone app until I restarted it (even though the lights remained on). This kept happening so I wasn’t able to get a good focus with the Bahtinov mask. After pulling my hair out for over an hour in the 32f temps, I finally decided to try switching the AA batteries. To my relief, it began working normally. The batteries had been fresh but stored them in the mount for a week so I suspect some sort of trickle discharge over that time occurred. As soon as I got it working the clouds rolled in so I wasn’t able to take any pretty pictures. Later back at my house I did some more testing and found out the behavior will also happen if the camera isn’t very well balanced after pointing it at the target. I’ll post a couple test pics later which sort of illustrate the tracking quality. I was able to do a few 2 minute exposures of nothing in particular.
Does the mount’s app have a polar align function?

• #1,111
It let's me control taking the pictures (exposure length, count) from my phone through an intervalometer cable from the mount to the camera.

It’s also got another mode called astro timelapse where it tracks during the photo and then resets to the original position for the next photo for astro landscape timelapses.

I have to do the polar alignment by looking through the scope in the mount and adjusting the alt/az knobs.

• #1,112
Just got light pollution filter for my Nikon 300mm f/4.5...

D88D316D-74B5-465E-B586-EC4401384C2E.jpeg

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,113
single 2min exposure, 1000mm f/10 (500mm f/5 + tc-201 2x teleconverter), bortle 6, 1600iso, sky watcher star adventurer 2i pro pack equatorial mount, d800 full frame dslr, slightly cropped:

DSC_9248.jpg

DSC_9248-4906641-1.jpeg

DSC_9248-3365451.png

DSC_9248-3365451-1.png

DSC_9248-3365451-2.png

IMG_4122.jpg

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark
  • #1,114
Have you tried drift alignment?

• #1,115
I'll look into giving that a try.

I did manage to get this 2 minute one also before I left the bortle 2 area which seems to have better tracking (though it's out of focus). It also shows how tantalizingly close I was to reaching my target...

single 2min exposure, 1000mm f/10 (500mm f/5 + tc-201 2x teleconverter), bortle 2, 12800iso, sky watcher star adventurer 2i pro pack equatorial mount, d800 full frame dslr (this is exactly how it looked straight out of the camera, no cropping or adjustments.) this was also the very last pic I took before the clouds rolled over:

DSC_9234.jpg

DSC_9234-4906706-1.jpeg

DSC_9234-3365508.png

DSC_9234-3365508-1.png

DSC_9234-3365508-2.png

Likes collinsmark
  • #1,116
That’s great tracking! It might be just seeing instead of focus. Twinkling stars look like they’re out of focus when you use longer acquisition times. The fact that this pic was obtained just before the clouds rolled in suggests to me that seeing was poor just before they showed up. That’s happened many times for me. The atmosphere is really unstable just before the clouds start to condense and your focus was probably as good as it could be.

• #1,117
Here we go... set up next to the dumpster in a bortle 5/6...

2min x 62 exposures (124 minutes total exposure time), 600mm f/9 (300mm f/4.5 + tc-301 2x teleconverter), bortle 5-6, rollei astroklar 72mm light pollution filter, 1600iso, sky watcher star adventurer 2i pro pack equatorial mount, d800 full frame dslr (slight cropping), 40 darks + 40 flats:

DSC_9263-Mean-3-final_cropped.jpg

DSC_9263-4907644.jpeg

DSC_9263-4907644-1.jpeg

DSC_9263-3366257.png

DSC_9263-3366257-1.png

DSC_9263-3366257-2.png

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_4146.jpg

• Love
Likes davenn, collinsmark, Andy Resnick and 2 others
  • #1,118
Very nice!

• #1,119
thanks! a couple of full-res crops...

DSC_9263-Mean-3-flame-crop.jpg

DSC_9263-Mean-3-horse-cropl.jpg

Likes DennisN and collinsmark
  • #1,120
Devin-M said:
I did some more testing and found out the behavior will also happen if the camera isn’t very well balanced after pointing it at the target.
This isn't too surprising to me. If the scope is not well balanced, the motors will have to work against gravity (and resulting friction) to move the scope. Simply put: a well balanced scope makes your mount's batteries last longer.

But there is the possibility of too much of a good thing here. Having a "perfectly" balanced scope can be bad. If the scope is "too" well balanced it can wobble back and forth on the gears, even if a tiny amount. This is called backlash. It will make your stars elongated along the right ascension axis.

The solution is to balance your scope almost, but not quite perfectly. That, and bias the imbalance such that the scope ever-so-gently wants to rotate toward celestial West. Balancing the bias to the West, instead of East, is preferred because your right ascension motor works toward pushing the scope to the west anyway, so this direction is the least stressful on the motor (theoretically). [But if it's slightly biased to toward the East instead, don't sweat it too much: this West vs. East thing isn't really a big deal. Just ensure it's not dead-center.]

[Edit: cleared up some east/west confusion.]

Last edited: