Our Beautiful Universe - Photos and Videos

In summary: I love it and the clip finishes with a great quote:In summary, these threads are all about the beauty and awesomeness of our Universe. If you feel like it, please share video clips and photos (or nice animations) of space and objects in space in this thread. Your posts, clips and photos may by all means include scientific information; that does not make it less beautiful to me (n.b. the posts must of course comply with the PF guidelines, i.e. regarding science, only mainstream science is allowed, fringe/pseudoscience is not allowed).
bruha said:
Hi, here is my last Venus image from yesterday...original and saturated image -, I quess if this light spot on saturated image just below Venus could be some object (star)... :smile: :frown:
cut down the exposure time substantially. It's way over-exposed and blown out :smile:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thank you, ok :smile:

Likes davenn
:smile: :smile:

Attachments

• 0069RC.jpg
    0069RC.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 129
  • 0023RC.jpg
    0023RC.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 0036RC.jpg
    0036RC.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 0065C.jpg
    0065C.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 139
Likes DennisN, chemisttree and davenn
bruha said:

Not too bad :smile:

couple of comments ...
1) I have noticed in several of your recent photos a black blob ... maybe you have a lump of dust
or something on one of the lenses that need cleaning off ??

untitled12.JPG
untitled13.JPG

2) not sure why you are getting all that colour in there ?
The Moon should be a relatively uniform grey ( shades of). It's not a bad thing as such,
it's just not a normal thing :wink:cheers
Dave

I kinda like the colors. The Moon as we wish it would be!

Another thing to try would be to use a red filter and post it (convert it) in black and white. Red really cuts down on atmospheric disturbances and the image will be much sharper.

Hello, and thank you for comments :smile:, yes I will check my all lenses..
Concerning image saturation, I just read some time ago, instruction for moon imaging and there was suggested some saturation as illustration of different rock type of moon... (but I am not of course well educated in this problematic..:confused:) Thank you and lot of success :thumbup::thumbup:

Likes davenn
A view of https://skyandtelescope.org/observing/yanking-markarians-chain/, in Virgo:

Result of Markarian_1910s.tif (RGB)-3.jpg

30 minutes exposure @ ISO 1250, 400/2.8 full-frame. There are about 40-50 galaxies visible, although maybe not in this highly downsampled image. What is notable is my (new) ability to perform flat-field correction over the entire image, not just the central 40% or so.

I'll probably be able to retrieve my external hard drive (w/ 3 TB of 'good enough' astro images for stacking) this week or next from my office. Something to do... I should be able to re-create the top half of this.

Likes Nick-stg, davenn and berkeman
Some preliminary re-stacking results; I'm totally fanboy crushing on the new software.

Here's M101: 400mm DX format, 6h integration: full image, then some crops-
M101-6h6m-1.jpg

M101-6h6m-2.jpg

M101-6h6m-3.jpg

Next, the trio of galaxies in Leo- again, 400mm DX format; full image and then some crops, 4h 45m integration time-

Result of Leo_triplet-4h45m-1.jpg

Result of Leo_triplet-4h45m-2.jpg

Result of Leo_triplet-4h45m-3.jpg

And a 1:1 crop of M51, also 4h 45m integration time:

M51-4h45m-1.jpg

Lastly, some 1:4 downscaled crops of the Milky Way, taken at 105mm:

milky_way-1.jpg
Milky_Way_2.jpg

My images are getting close to print-worthy! The Virgo cluster panorama looks great as well but is too large to meaningfully post here. Next up on the re-stack schedule is M13, M3, and M53.

• Love
Likes DennisN, Nick-stg, davenn and 3 others
Hello, I attach 5 moon image from yesterday little processed (maybe some interesting)
Your galaxy images are amazing :smile: :frown::thumbup:

Attachments

• 7Cc.jpg
    7Cc.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 8Cc.jpg
    8Cc.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 113
  • 9Cc.jpg
    9Cc.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 115
  • 10Cc.jpg
    10Cc.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 11Cc.jpg
    11Cc.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 115
Likes DennisN and davenn
bruha said:
Hello, I attach 5 moon image from yesterday little processed (maybe some interesting)
Your galaxy images are amazing :smile: :frown::thumbup:

Again, as I said some posts back, cut down your exposure time so that the images don't get overexposed :smile:
They are a good effort but will look so much better with some exposure adjustments

I see you still haven't found those black dust (or whatever) blobs on the sensor or lens :wink:
give your optics a good cleanDave

Hello and thank you form evaluation. These were made by bresser camera applied instead eyepiece. I have possibility just adjut contrast , brightnes and saturation... Black spots is probable problem of scope mirror. :confused:. but I must check camera as well
Have nice day :smile:

Likes davenn
Hello, problem is on bresser camera...Nowadays is almost full moon unfortunately here in Czech rep. // :confused:

Attachments

• 10CCCC.jpg
    10CCCC.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 110
Likes DennisN and davenn
Likes Nick-stg, davenn, Bystander and 1 other person
Hello, here is image of Venus from yesterday (by Bresser eyepiece camera) ...

Jupiter image is really amazing... (how this cloud cover is approx. thick?)

Attachments

• Venus.jpg
    Venus.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 125
Likes davenn
bruha said:
Hello, here is image of Venus from yesterday (by Bresser eyepiece camera) ...

very good :smile:

The moon from Friday nite (8th May 2020)

some hours after full Moon

IMG_1485sm.jpg

Likes Janosh89 and DennisN
hello, thank you,, :smile:
your moon image is very impressive, it is somehow processed?

Have nice day

bruha said:
hello, thank you,, :smile:
your moon image is very impressive, it is somehow processed?

Have nice day

Just very lightly in Lightroom
, a bit of contrast and a little sharpening.
That needs to be done as I always photograph in RAW to get the best data saving
It only gets converted to a .jpg to be able to post on forums etc :smile:

The Moon was quite low in the sky, so a bit of atmospheric distortion and colouring was present

Dave

thank you , I see... :thumbup:
(I mostly did some colour saturation as well .. somebody say it could be real colour discrimination of different rock types but I am not sure ) o_O

Venus tonight very low in the sky. Notice the atmospheric refraction. (it couldn't be my poor focusing or, gasp!, my refractor optics. no no no...)
Venus 5 19 2020 920pm at80ed 30D 250th iso400.jpg

AstroTech 80ED, Canon 30D, 1/160sec ISO250, Oberwerk blem tripod, Universal Astronomics Unistar lite mount

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes DennisN and davenn
chemisttree said:
Venus tonight very low in the sky.
very cool :smile:

Result of rosette-17491s_filtered copy.jpg

Crop of Rosette nebula

Likes chemisttree, davenn, DennisN and 1 other person
Last night I did some quick and dirty astrophotography with mobile phone only.
I went to a city park with just my phone and a tripod and took some random shots :smile:.

(Software used: DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop and detections by http://nova.astrometry.net/)

Ursa Major and Ursa Minor
(ISO 800, Exposure: 5 s, 2 combined stacks of 20 photos each)
49918828162_6ca7e8a646_c.jpg

Detections:
49918828342_91e15832e6_c.jpg

Bootes
(ISO 800, Exposure: 5 s, 20 stacked photos)
49918827692_759bafebd1_c.jpg

Detections:
49918828302_b786d1ac45_c.jpg

Cygnus
(ISO 800, Exposure: 5 s, 10 stacked photos)
49918017143_8ddbc78df3_c.jpg

Detections:
49918828212_98c8ffbcf9_c.jpg

Draco
(ISO 800, Exposure: 5 s, 10 stacked photos)
49918826492_904a2b77bb_c.jpg

Detections:
49918528506_a7e37e88bc_c.jpg

Likes collinsmark and chemisttree
bruha said:
thank you , I see... :thumbup:
(I mostly did some colour saturation as well .. somebody say it could be real colour discrimination of different rock types but I am not sure ) o_O
I believe that is called "Mineral Processing".

Hi I attach next moon image, this one is by eyepiece Hyperion 5 mm mounted to Nikon body -but this camera is quite old and thus not very good. :frown:
... no any planet is observable in Czech rep. now (within reasonable time :biggrin::biggrin:)

Lot of succes

Attachments

• DSC_0064CC.JPG
    DSC_0064CC.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 78
Likes collinsmark, DennisN and davenn
bruha said:
... no any planet is observable in Czech rep. now (within reasonable time)

Same here in Texas!😁

bruha said:
... no any planet is observable in Czech rep. now (within reasonable time

chemisttree said:
Same here in Texas!

You both need to get out of bed a bit earlier :wink:

Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are visible in the southern sky before dawn :smile:

Likes collinsmark
Hi, yes I see, (for me problem :frown: as I like night quiet. and go to bed not before 1 )
Did you catch some images of these planets?

Likes davenn
bruha said:
Hi, yes I see, (for me problem :frown: as I like night quiet. and go to bed not before 1 )
Did you catch some images of these planets?

Yes, I posted on here a month or so back :)

The Moon tonight. 6/7/2020

4EA15F88-6202-47C4-BBCD-687E6A06F090.jpeg

Astrotech 80ED, Oberwerk BLEM tripod, Universal Astronomics Micro Star Deluxe mount, Televue 25mm Plossl with Celestron #93608 variable polarizer, iPhone 6 (afocal) in HDR mode.
This took about 5 minutes to set up, figure out and photo. I used Orion’s Steadypix Quick Smartphone Telescope Photo Adapter that I recently purchased from OPT for teleconferencing. Had to remove the rubber eyecup on the plossl eyepiece before attaching the Steadypix adapter. That adapter is a very good deal! The clamp is self centering and the adapter holds the iPhone (sans Otter case) very securely. Good setup for bright objects through the telescope.

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark and DennisN
Hello,
its look very good :thumbup: . Can I ask-is it this adapter fit to hyperion eyepiece as well?
Thank you :smile:

I had fun last night. I was filming and taking photos the Moon through my cheap Chinese scope.
Afterwards when I unmounted my scope I noticed that a bright spot to the left of it had appeared.
Jupiter, I thought. So I quickly mounted my scope and got to see Jupiter with all four major moons visible (Europa, Io, Jupiter, Callisto and Ganymede).
I'm not kidding, I almost got tears in my eyes :smile:.
I ended up taking a lot more photos, and I will try to do a composite image of the Moon later, and see if I can make photo stacks of Jupiter with the moons. If so, I'll post them later in this thread.

In the meantime, here is a movie of the Moon last night with plenty of details filmed:
(some clouds appear towards the end obscuring it)

Likes collinsmark, chemisttree and davenn
bruha said:
Hello,
its look very good :thumbup: . Can I ask-is it this adapter fit to hyperion eyepiece as well?
Thank you :smile:
Probably not without a T-ring spacer. About 10mm should do it. It would likely fit hard, straight-sided eyepieces with sides about 1cm high near the top. It doesn’t fit Celestron X-Cel (old style) either.

But attaching it doesn’t mean it will work. When I attached my 7mm Nagler to it, the iPhone could only see about 10 degrees of the available 82 degrees my eye can see. Not sure that I understand why. Perhaps the light leaving the eyepiece diverges into an 82 degree cone and the iPhone’s camera can only capture a part of that?🤷🏼

Hi thank you.
I have still one eyepiece: Sky-Watcher SWA-58-3.2. mm Plossl. Do you think this one could fit..?

Thanks and lot of succes :smile:

Here's a couple of merged movie clips I filmed of Jupiter and the four large moons last night.
From left to right: Europa, Io, Jupiter, Callisto, Ganymede.
A bit noisy, but hey, they move! :smile:
(Too see it in 4K, click the gear at the right botttom in youtube and select quality: 4K)

The planet Jupiter with the four large moons (Telescope, 4K)
And I did a quick approximate calculation to get a feel for the distance to the planet:

Jupiter distance from Sun: 778 570 000 km
Earth distance from Sun: 149 598 023 km
Distance from Earth to Jupiter (ca): (778 570 000 - 149 598 023 ) = 628 971 977 km
Earth circumference: 40 075 km
628 971 977 / 40 075 = 15 695

So the distance to Jupiter is approximately equal to the distance traveled around the Earth 15 695 times. And this is PF, so if I got it wrong I expect to be corrected. :biggrin:
(yes, I know it also depends on where the planets are at the moment, but it is an approximation :smile: )EDIT:

Haha, I checked what "Semi-major axis" is, since it was those numbers I used. I thought it was (sort of) radius, but it is (sort of) diameter. So the distance from Earth to Jupiter ought to be about half of the value above, i.e. (628 971 977 km / 2) = 314 485 988 km.

Which yields (314 485 988 / 40 075) = 7 847, i.e. the distance to Jupiter is approximately equal to the distance traveled around the Earth 7 847 times.

(stricken parts were wrong, see edit below)

EDIT 2:

Haha, no I was correct the first time, but read wrong the second time.
Semi-major axis is radius (sort of). :biggrin:

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark, chemisttree and davenn