Is Game of Thrones Still Exciting Fans?

• Thread starter Rolen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the series is loyal to the books, with the first two seasons being available on Xfinity on Demand. Critics are saying the series is getting better, and that it's worth watching even if you have not read the books.
Rolen
Gold Member
So, thrones is coming tomorrow night. Anyone excited about that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would be if I still had cable, anyone have a spare spot in their living room I could borrow?

I have yet to get into this series. Soon though! Maybe I should read the books first?

The series has been quite loyal to the books so far. The books are good but I found them hard going. Last year I read the first 5 but sort of gave up. I intend to go back to them at some point, maybe this new Tv series will prompt me. I won't spoil anything but with the books the hardest thing I found was that story arcs would end very suddenly and often in unsatisfactory ways, at the same time new ones would pop up from nowhere and it would be hard to care about the new ones. This was especially true when these new arcs also dropped flat.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I have yet to get into this series. Soon though! Maybe I should read the books first?

The five books so far published (in the mooted series of seven) average 838 pages each. So it's a daunting task to read them all. Being retired, I raced through them once to satisfy my curiosity about the general plot and what happens to my favorite characters, then reread them more slowly to more thoroughly enjoy Martin's storytelling abilities, and to spot clues and foreshadowings scattered throughout. I'd say if you have enjoyed Dickens or Proust in the past, you would be right at home with GRRM.

The first two seasons of the HBO production are available on Xfinity on Demand, or DVD. To jump cold right into tonight's first episode of the 3rd season could be a little confusing. Previewing critics are saying it keeps on getting better. For a series of epic fantasy novels that has sold maybe 15,000,000, and a runaway cable TV phenomenon that is entrancing so many more, your entertainment ticket is well and truly punched with A Song of Ice and Fire.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited:
Ryan_m_b said:
The series has been quite loyal to the books so far. The books are good but I found them hard going. Last year I read the first 5 but sort of gave up. I intend to go back to them at some point, maybe this new Tv series will prompt me. I won't spoil anything but with the books the hardest thing I found was that story arcs would end very suddenly and often in unsatisfactory ways, at the same time new ones would pop up from nowhere and it would be hard to care about the new ones. This was especially true when these new arcs also dropped flat.
"A Feast for Crows", in particular, was a loong slog. "A Dance with Dragons", fortunately, was much better.

arildno said:
"A Feast for Crows", in particular, was a loong slog. "A Dance with Dragons", fortunately, was much better.
I've just started DWD after not reading the series for nearly a year. I'd said above I've read 5 but I'm mistaken. I'm having to read with a wiki open to remember who some of the characters and places are :-p

Related to Is Game of Thrones Still Exciting Fans?

1. What is "Game of Thrones"?

"Game of Thrones" is a popular fantasy television series based on the book series "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin. It is set in a fictional medieval world and follows various noble families as they compete for power and control of the Iron Throne.

2. When does the next episode of "Game of Thrones" air?

The final season of "Game of Thrones" premiered on April 14, 2019 and new episodes air every Sunday at 9pm EST on HBO.

3. How many seasons of "Game of Thrones" are there?

There are a total of 8 seasons of "Game of Thrones", with the final season being released in 2019.

4. Is "Game of Thrones" suitable for all ages?

"Game of Thrones" is rated TV-MA for mature audiences due to its graphic violence, sexual content, and adult themes. It is not recommended for younger viewers.

5. Can I watch "Game of Thrones" if I haven't read the books?

Yes, you can still enjoy "Game of Thrones" even if you haven't read the books. However, be aware that the TV series does differ from the books in some aspects.