Universe Game: What Does the Community Think?

In summary, the conversation is about a new game being released this week called "NMS" which is a procedurally generated game set in a virtual universe. The participants are excited about the game but also have some doubts and concerns about its potential. They discuss their experiences with similar games and express interest in the exploration aspect of NMS. They also mention the possibility of building and establishing colonies in the game. Overall, they are curious about how the game will turn out and hope it will live up to the hype.
Obiat
I would like to know what the community thinks about this game. Its a procedurally generated game set into a virtual Universe. As an Astronomy and Cosmology buff, I have a huge interest in this game and am quite excited about it's launch. I would be happy to see if the properties of the natural world and quantum mechanics would actually have a role in this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did I hear correctly that this is being released this week?? (Oct 27th I thought I heard)

I've eagerly awaited this game for a while, which makes me worried that everyone's expectations and the hype around the game will be beyond what the game actually provides.

I'm definitely interested by the game, will wait until it's out to decide if it's worth getting. I like the idea of the procedural generation creating an entire universe to explore but I'm a bit skeptical of it (still nursing the burn from Spore and it's procedurally generated galaxy).

Ryan_m_b said:
still nursing the burn from Spore and it's procedurally generated galaxy.

Haha that's where my sense of doubt came from. I so looked forward to Spore, and was so epically disappointed.

Ryan_m_b said:
I like the idea of the procedural generation creating an entire universe to explore but I'm a bit skeptical of it (still nursing the burn from Spore and it's procedurally generated galaxy).

Funny, I came here to talk about the same thing, haha. I'm excited to see how NMS pulls it off. As I understand, the game is supposed to be more...exploration-based? I like how dense they make the universe seem with all the trees, animal life and whatnot, but it's not very realistic in terms of scale, and that bugs me a little. It looks less like a simulator and more like a...i dunno...toy? Kind of like Freelancer vs. Freespace, if you played them.

My main worry is that the game will lose its charm really quickly. Since its purely based on exploration, they are going to have to do some truly creative stuff to make sure every area seems unique. I'm somewhat worried that each planet will be cool for about 2 minutes, and then its just the same sort of thing copy pasted all over.

Yeah I have to agree. The appeal of naming things will wear out shortly. I'd like to see something a little more coop-based. What about building a corporate empire? Establishing colonies? Building bases for your ilk? Lots of open-ended possibilities.

It will be interesting to see. The idea of an exploration game of this sort is a good one, I'm afraid that the procedural generation will lead to most worlds being "same but different" in the sense that the variation will have been seen before. If there are other elements to the game it could be pretty good. We'll see I guess.

Related to Universe Game: What Does the Community Think?

1. What is the Universe Game?

The Universe Game is a simulation game that allows players to create and explore their own virtual universe. Players can design and customize their own planets, moons, and stars, and watch as their universe evolves over time.

2. How do players interact with the virtual universe?

Players can interact with their universe by making decisions about the characteristics and properties of their planets and stars. They can also observe and track the changes in their universe over time.

3. Is the Universe Game based on real science?

While the game is not meant to be a completely accurate representation of the universe, it is based on real scientific concepts and principles. Players can learn about basic astronomy and planetary science while playing the game.

4. Can players collaborate and share their universes with others?

Yes, players can collaborate and share their universes with others through online forums and communities. They can also work together to create and explore a shared virtual universe.

5. Is the Universe Game suitable for all ages?

Yes, the game is suitable for all ages. While younger players may need assistance with some of the more complex scientific concepts, the game is designed to be accessible and enjoyable for players of all ages.