Getting ahead of the semester in physics.

In summary, the student is a second semester mechanical engineering student who is concerned about their upcoming General Physics one course. They have limited experience with physics and are looking for free online resources or book suggestions. They have been advised to purchase the textbook for the course and watch lectures by Walter Lewin on YouTube.
GregoryG.
Hello all, I am a second semester mechanical engineering student looking to get a jump start on the semester. I'm taking General Physics one and I'm a little concerned about it. I have almost no experience with Physics, except for an introductory engineering class last semester where we touched on vector algebra, heat, and circuits.The exact course description (of General Physics one) is "Classical & Relativistic mechanics, heat, and mechanical waves", and I know that it'll be calculus-based physics. I'm looking for any free online resources, or the titles of books I might be able to find in my public/university library. Anything free that will help me learn physics. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
GregoryG. said:
Hello all, I am a second semester mechanical engineering student looking to get a jump start on the semester. I'm taking General Physics one and I'm a little concerned about it. I have almost no experience with Physics, except for an introductory engineering class last semester where we touched on vector algebra, heat, and circuits.The exact course description (of General Physics one) is "Classical & Relativistic mechanics, heat, and mechanical waves", and I know that it'll be calculus-based physics. I'm looking for any free online resources, or the titles of books I might be able to find in my public/university library. Anything free that will help me learn physics. Thanks in advance!

What text will you be using for the course?

Classical mechanics is the bread and butter of mechanical engineers, you'll need to learn it well. You should buy the text you'll be using for the course and looking it over while you wait for the session to start.

Likes GregoryG.
Youtube mit 8.01. Watch lectures by Walter Lewin, best mechanics lectures I have watched. Then you just have to find some good problems to solve. I'd do what Student100 says and find out what book you're using and go through those.

Likes GregoryG.

Related to Getting ahead of the semester in physics.

1. What are some tips for preparing for physics at the beginning of the semester?

Some tips for preparing for physics at the beginning of the semester include reviewing basic math skills, familiarizing yourself with the course syllabus and materials, and setting a study schedule to stay on top of coursework.

2. How can I stay ahead of the material in physics class?

To stay ahead of the material in physics class, it is important to attend lectures and take thorough notes, actively participate in class discussions and activities, and review material on a regular basis.

3. What resources are available to help me get ahead in physics?

There are many resources available to help students get ahead in physics, including textbooks, online tutorials and videos, study groups, and office hours with the professor or teaching assistant.

4. How can I overcome challenges in understanding physics concepts?

To overcome challenges in understanding physics concepts, it can be helpful to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, seek help from professors or classmates, and practice problems and equations regularly.

5. What is the benefit of getting ahead in physics at the beginning of the semester?

Getting ahead in physics at the beginning of the semester can provide a strong foundation for more advanced topics and make it easier to keep up with coursework as the semester progresses. It can also reduce stress and help improve overall performance in the class.